Gransnet forums

Health

Heel pain

(20 Posts)
Elliebeth Tue 23-Oct-18 21:36:31

I have had pain in my heel for the last month. My gp says it is policeman heel and to take painkillers and roll my foot over a bottle or tin. Despite this and trying with a frozen water bottle and alternating with heat I'm not getting any further and wondered if anyone else had had this. Any suggestions would be much appreciated .

Willow500 Tue 23-Oct-18 21:43:18

My husband had this for months - it's called plantar fasciitis and is very painful. I bought him some Sketchers shoes (other makes are available I'm sure) and straight away he felt a difference. He still wears them and never mentions it now.

stella1949 Tue 23-Oct-18 21:44:34

Yes, you've got plantar fasciitis. I had it a few years ago. At the chemist you can buy Orthoheel sole supports which I found to give wonderful relief. Or the Scholls shoes with the sole supports already in them.

You can see a podiatrist as well, they can help , or a physiotherapist. Or your GP can give you steroid injections. www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/plantar-fasciitis/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20354851

Jobey68 Tue 23-Oct-18 21:53:51

Yes definately sounds like PF , I've had it in both feet. Had a cortisone in one which really helped but they don't seem to want to do it any more, told to do the rolling over a bottle or rolling pin but nearly went through the roof with the pain!
I second the wearing of sketchers they are so comfortable and regular stretching of your foot over the bottom step of the stairs, supports for your arch can really help to.

Lynne59 Tue 23-Oct-18 21:57:44

Plantar Faciitis can be incredibly painful. I've had it a few times, in both heels.

I tried every painkiller, also special insoles from a Podiatrist. Exercises didn't make any difference. I couldn't drive, and I was off work for 10 weeks. I had corticosteroid injections (my GP did them) in the heel, which worked.

merlotgran Tue 23-Oct-18 21:58:42

Oh yes. It's my old enemy. So painful and restricting.

Have you tried acupuncture in addition to the above recommendations?

gillybob Tue 23-Oct-18 23:20:17

Sketchers are definitely the way forward Elliebeth As a fellow sufferer I sympathise with you. It’s very painful and feels like you're walking on broken glass !

tiredoldwoman Wed 24-Oct-18 05:24:39

I saw a bandaging technique for PF on Pinterest the other night . It claimed that it was a like a miracle . Look it up and give it a try - might give you some relief ?

shysal Wed 24-Oct-18 09:35:46

Last time I had PF I bought one of these.
heelease.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoJHvjNSe3gIVEed3Ch1h_gEIEAQYASABEgICDfD_BwE
The condition soon improved , but I have to say that I had been suffering for several months so that may have been coincidental. You can buy the item without VAT just by saying you have PF and there is a 100% money back guarantee so it could be worth a try.
I also recommend Skechers, couldn't have walked any distance without.
I hope you gain some relief soon.

Missfoodlove Wed 24-Oct-18 10:34:07

Acupuncture cured mine.

Elliebeth Wed 24-Oct-18 12:13:04

Hello everyone. Just got back from boots with some heel supports so thank you for all the advice. Have tried Sketchers which are lovely shoes but don't suit my feet fitwise. My trainers are reikers and usually can walk miles on them , they are very supportive so will just wear these with the supports and see how I go. Thanks again

tinaf1 Wed 24-Oct-18 16:16:15

I have had this it's very painful one exercise I did find helpful was to sit on a chair roll a towel under my foot and pull the ends up with each hand and stretch my foot as much as I could, ( hope that makes sense !)

Cold Wed 24-Oct-18 17:07:41

I looked on youtube and found a really good taping tutorial that showed how to tape it to reduce the pain. This helped me a lot - also wearing supportive shoes (mine came from Hotter)

Badenkate Wed 24-Oct-18 17:11:52

It is painful. A good exercise to stretch the back of your heel is to stand on the bottom step of the stairs with just the balls of your feet on the stair and drop your heels down as far as you can.

garygrover Mon 29-Oct-18 11:17:10

Plantar fasciitis is a very common diagnosis of heel pain. To relieve from the pain of plantar fasciitis is use an ice pack to reduce swelling, inflammation, and pain. Exercise your feet. Also, athletic taping gives the bottom of the foot better support.

winterwhite Mon 29-Oct-18 12:10:45

Is there a known cause for this? Can it be halted at early signs?

Elliebeth Mon 05-Nov-18 19:00:35

Hi everyone. To update. The heel supports didn't seem to help so back to the gp who referred me to biomechanics. The podiatrist there examined my heel and says it's not plantar fasciitis but a trapped nerve. He seemed to know just where to press to make me jump !! anyway been fitted with some insoles and a follow up in 8 weeks if it doesn't improve. Will see how I go but very painful tonight probably due to being prodded about..

Andrezdiaz Fri 21-Aug-20 13:13:31

Hi. I suffered plante fascitis for years. Now I'm totally fine.

Here is how I cured myself:

1. Do not use flat shoes. Go to a shoe repair shop as ask them to put a elevation of 1 inch (2 centimeters) I your heel. Your weight should be transferred to the from part of your feet (toes), if you continue putting the weight of your body on your heel, it might never recover.
2. Do the same for the shoes/sandals that you use at home. One common mistake is fix the street shoes, and continue using flat footwear at home.
3. The most effective pain relief is feet massage by a fisioterapist. You can try it. But obviously this is too expensive to do on a daily basis. So what I did was buying a feet massage robot. There are many avaliable on the market (Amazon for example) and that way you can give yourself massages everyday. I was doing it in the morning and before sleep.
3. Exercise little by little.
Start running as soon as the pain allows. First run one block, if there is no pain the next time try to run 2 blocks and go progressing little by little. Soon you will be able to run many minutes and finally one day you will be just fine.
Never run for too long, because if the pain appears, you might go back to the beginning again, and you will have to start over again.

Hope you get better and if this helps you, please help me to spread these recommendations in other forums . Cheers

Callistemon Fri 21-Aug-20 13:21:47

Willow500

My husband had this for months - it's called plantar fasciitis and is very painful. I bought him some Sketchers shoes (other makes are available I'm sure) and straight away he felt a difference. He still wears them and never mentions it now.

I have had this for the last couple of months too.
The podiatrist gave me some exercises to do which have helped.
I have been wearing Skechers trainers (except when the weather is very hot) and can feel the difference even having to use an orthotics insole too.
However, the podiatrist did say that trainers should be firm, not soft ie you shouldn't be able to bend them at all.

I don't know how long this will go on for, it's worse first thing in the morning or after sitting down.

Callistemon Fri 21-Aug-20 14:00:41

The podiatrist said you need to gently stretch the calf and Achilles tendon

Put a rolled up towel around your foot at the toe end, sit flat and gently pull both ends of the towel to give a stretch. Keep back straight.

Stand with good foot in front, hold on to work surface or similar, put other foot flat on floor behind and bend the forward knee to give a stretch to the heel on the bad foot. Keep back straight