Gransnet forums

Health

MRI Head Scan

(47 Posts)
BlueSky Wed 24-Oct-18 13:02:50

Surprised if not shocked that I have been referred for an MRI head scan following a faint, a second in two years. Any experiences? Do you go fully into the scanner or just up to chest level? Not particularly claustrophobic but nonetheless bit nervous about it.shock

Lazigirl Wed 24-Oct-18 13:20:34

I had brain scan 2 years ago. Whole body went in scanner but not sure if this happens at all scanners. Took about 20 mins. Sometimes very noisy. Bit enclosed but you can see daylight at the leg end so not too bad & took cd which they played. I don’t like enclosed spaces but felt ok so try not to worry too much.

Welshwife Wed 24-Oct-18 13:47:00

I went in the whole scanner too for a brain scan - it is much bigger than some scanners I have been in recently. They played music - the machine is a bit clunky because it moves around you. I had an alarm to press if I got nervous. Sometimes they talk to you as well through the headphones. I did not find it as bad an experience as I feared.

DoraMarr Wed 24-Oct-18 13:51:10

I had one a few years ago- like you, investigation for falls. I am claustrophobic, so was dreading it. Staff were so kind- one helped me choose an eye mask ( red satin, feathers) and sat by me the whole time holding my hand. It didn’t take long.

stella1949 Wed 24-Oct-18 14:19:57

I had one when I started getting migraines. It wasn't too bad - I don't like confined spaces but I could see out of the end so I didn't panic.

Luckygirl Wed 24-Oct-18 14:40:42

The MRI "tunnel" is a bit bigger than the CT scanners which are more like a doughnut.

But the machine is not as big as you think and is normally open at both ends so light is coming in. I was given the opportunity to play a CD through the headphones - I took my own and it was something very calming. There is also an angled mirror above you so that what you see when you look up is the room outside. The main irritant is the noise - I joked that it sounded as though I was in a washing machine! It does go bang bang bang - hence the headphones - but it only does it intermittently, not all the time.

You go in only as far as you need to for your head to be central, so belly and legs are hanging out the end.

It is not as bad as some people fear. I am sure you will be fine - if I can do it then so can you!

Jane10 Wed 24-Oct-18 14:43:20

So nice to hear about such kind staff Dora.

EllanVannin Wed 24-Oct-18 14:51:21

I haven't had an MRI scan but quite a few CT ones and a PET ( full body scan ) which isn't recommendable to those who have claustrophobia, taking around an hour arms stretched above the head while the machine slowly scrutinizes every part of your body as it moves over you with its rays.
I didn't know what I was in for when Alliance Medical rang me one night,a week before Christmas,to attend for one of these scans at Clatterbridge hospital. It was a mobile van and was only there for a limited time. The whole process took about an hour and a half which included an isotope glucose injected into your body to highlight any areas of suspicion.
Imagine when the result was clear, even though I worried over that Christmas until I knew the results-----it became the best present I'd ever received.
I can't fault our local hospitals they've really looked after me over the years.

EllanVannin Wed 24-Oct-18 14:57:53

The last time I'd had a head scan was November last year after I'd complained of being off balance. The scan showed that I'd had a TIA, as there was scarring on the right side which would have affected my left side though fortunately it hadn't left any serious damage just the feeling that I was on a rolling ship.

BlueSky Wed 24-Oct-18 15:28:08

Thanks all for the lovely responses it does help! Another first that hopefully will not turn out to be as bad as anticipated! flowers

nanaK54 Wed 24-Oct-18 15:34:54

Thankfully, no personal experience to share, but just wanted to send you some kind thoughts flowers

NanKate Wed 24-Oct-18 16:00:49

When I had one a few years back I closed my eyes and lay very still. I did not open my eyes till I got out. I just thought about a sandy beach and relaxed. The noise is similar to being down a coal mine with all the clanking.

DH took some silicone earplugs with him and then put on ear defenders given to him by the staff.

Bubbe Wed 24-Oct-18 16:01:22

I had one of these a couple of weeks ago. Its absolutely fine, and exactly as GNers have said above.

The only thing was they said to keep as still as possible and I kept needing to swallow (a bit like when you have a dentist doing stuff in your mouth), and I didn't know if this would count as moving. I did swallow and the images came out fine ~ but it might be a question you could ask before you go in.

Also, after I had finished and I needed to walk to another part of the hospital, my balance was a bit out-of-sorts for a short while, but I think this is more to do with other stuff and nothing to do with the MRI itself.

It really is absolutely fine and lasted about 15-20 mins I think

NfkDumpling Wed 24-Oct-18 19:23:18

I had one a couple of years ago when my tinnitus switched on extra loud in one ear (apparently it was a sign of a possible tumour). I went most of the way into the tube thing and wore headphones to keep out the clonking noises and which played soothing music, I shut my eyes and nearly fell asleep. I think I was too still as a voice asked through the headphones if I was alright! It was a mobile unit in a big pantechnicon lorry so I had to walk out past where the scanner chap sat and was able to look over his shoulder and see my brain. Fascinating and rather weirded. Very relieved as he told me there and then all was normal - even my brain.

NfkDumpling Wed 24-Oct-18 19:24:37

Weird not weirded.

silverlining48 Wed 24-Oct-18 19:26:24

I had a brain mri about 10 years ago following a very short faint. They could not diagnose epilepsy on just the one faint but nevertheless it was suggested I voluntarily return my driving licence to DVLA which was supposed to mean I would get it back quicker but it took a year and a fight including assistance from my MP to get it back. It was a terrible shock and not what I was expecting.
No doubt this won’t be the same for you but forewarned is forearmed.

BlueSky Sat 27-Oct-18 20:37:37

Luckily in this case I don't drive so no worries about driving and notifying DVLA. But I have heard similar stories so honesty is not always the best policy where DVLA is concerned!

MargaretX Sat 27-Oct-18 21:40:53

I had one before an ear OP. They more or less screwed my head tight so I didn't have to worry that I'd move my head. The scanner was like a huge tube which turned slowly and the rest of my body was uncovered.
I was told straight away that I would have to be operated on and everything went very well indeed and the OP later was only an hour long and my hearing recovered completely.

mamamags Mon 05-Nov-18 12:07:17

Just a thought. If you wear a wig when you have one of these scans or do you have to remove it?.....

BlueSky Fri 09-Nov-18 09:47:00

Feeling worse now as I've learnt it's going to be with contrast! Worrying about reactions straight away! I know I do tend to react to different things but perhaps I'm just catastrophising. Any experiences?

Izabella Fri 09-Nov-18 15:50:43

I have one in December, my third. Not scary at all, just rather noisy and a tad clunky.

For wig wearers - as long as the wig contains no ferrous metal you will be able to keep it on. Probably courteous to mention to the radiographer you are wearing one, as its a little disconcerting for one to fall off during a procedure grin

BlueSky Fri 09-Nov-18 16:35:43

EllanVannin you seem to have had one with contrast, did you feel OK? Anybody else?

Jessity Fri 09-Nov-18 17:54:02

I had one annually for a number of years for an acoustic neuroma and had a contrast medium each time. It’s just an injection in your arm so that the images are clearer. I always worried that I would sneeze or my nose would itch, neither ever happened but the scanner staff were so reassuring and said it doesn’t matter, if that happens and we need to, we’ll do the scan again. As others have said upthread, it does clank and bang but really, truly, honestly, like most experiences, it’s never, ever as bad as you fear. Nothing we say will really convince, but you will be OK and the staff will be so sympathetic and helpful. We’re all cheering you on!

Luckygirl Fri 09-Nov-18 18:27:47

The contrast is just a quick intravenous thing - no problem when I had it done quite recently. They put in the cannula, sent me into the scanner and somehow they remotely shot the contrast medium in - very impressive - didn't feel a thing! But one of the contrasts they use makes you feel as though you are weeing! - it is quite bizarre! They do warn you beforehand.

BlueSky Fri 09-Nov-18 18:56:32

Thank you Jessity and Luckygirl! Your words are a lot more reassuring than Googling! Just worried that I would feel sick dizzy etc and as I do have health anxieties your matter of fact posts are just what the doctor ordered! flowers