Gransnet forums

Health

Arthritis in thumb joint

(74 Posts)
Singlegrannie Sat 03-Nov-18 14:22:42

I have been having yearly steroid injections in my right hand thumb joint for several years now with only minor short term improvement. The last one I had, a couple of months ago, was incredibly painful while being done ( I have always had them done in hospital under x-ray by a consultant) and very painful for several weeks afterwards. The pain has now settled to being slightly worse than before the last injection. This morning I had a post injection consultation but not with the surgeon who carried out the last one as he has "cancelled all appointments for the foreseeable future" .The new surgeon, whom I haven't seen before, recommended that I have the bone adjacent to the offending joint removed. He said it is 90% effective in removing pain and will take about 3 months to recover from.
I would love to hear from anyone who has any experience of this operation, it sounds scary !

Marydoll Wed 30-Jan-19 09:06:35

Maddyone, that will eventually be my "fate", but as my rheumatolgy appointment has been cancelled three times, heaven knows when I will get some relief!
At least spring is approaching, hopefully we won't have that to contend with the cold afffecting pain levels. smile

henetha Wed 30-Jan-19 10:24:04

I tried that Rhus Tox ointment and it really does help.

Parsley3 Wed 30-Jan-19 11:08:48

The Rhus Tox cream is £6.25 from Helios plus postage. When I put it on my poor sore thumbs it is wonderfully soothing and the pain fades for quite a while. Well worth a try.

Abuelamia Wed 30-Jan-19 11:47:07

Not sure whether this helps, but I found stopping eating porridge helped mine. I had heard, somthing in the oats can cause a flare up. Certainly worked for me

maddyone Wed 30-Jan-19 13:27:06

I think I’ll get some of that cream to be going on with, until I have the surgery. That won’t be until July, as it’s a four month wait, but that brings us to June, and as we’re going away in June, I will have it done when we return.

You won’t regret the operation Marydoll, it eliminates most or all of the pain. I would say it has eliminated 95% of the pain in my left hand. The hand still isn’t strong, but that’s not important to me, except when I try to open a jar, and then DH comes in handy.

Sparklefizz Wed 30-Jan-19 16:28:36

Sparkle....Just looked up the rhus tox on ebay and there was another brand available. What do you think about trying that? The Helios brand was around £50....bit steep!

Namsnanny That's a rip-off. Try the actual Helios site. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give a link. I will PM you.

Sparklefizz Wed 30-Jan-19 16:35:32

The cream is also available from G. Baldwin. I am using a lot of it and rang Helios and asked if they would give me a price for a large tub which they did, and it was £19.99 and is lasting for ever !!

Sparklefizz Wed 30-Jan-19 16:37:26

I would rather use homeopathic cream every night than have surgery and possibly lose hand strength into the bargain. The cream is working perfectly for me and I apply it just like handcream before I go to bed.

maddyone Wed 30-Jan-19 20:25:05

I’ve just ordered a tube from Amazon and it was £6. Hope it’s the right thing, but it has the same name.

Marydoll Wed 30-Jan-19 20:44:23

My rheumatologist phoned me out of the blue this evening to apologise for my cancelled appointments and we had a consultation over the phone.

I told him that I had purchased the cream, as I was in agony waiting for treatment, he just muttered something! grin.
I don't think it was a mutter of approval, but I told him I was desperate and it was reducing the pain!

Anyway, he is going to find a slot somewhere and sometime soon to put steroids into it in the interim.
Here's hoping!

maddyone Thu 31-Jan-19 14:18:50

Marydoll, steroid injections are very helpful, they eliminate the pain for anything from a few weeks to a year. Eventually though, they don’t work very well, and that’s when you consider surgery, or living with it, with the use of splints and supports, which are quite helpful when you’re wearing them.

Marydoll Thu 31-Jan-19 14:31:56

maddyone, I've had lots of injections (targetted and general injections ) and procedures in different parts of my hand and have worn splints and supports for years.
There are a number of different conditions associated with my hands, so it's all become quite problematic, as the different consultants all have their own opnion of what the main cause is.
I feel like a ping pong ball, bouncing between clinics. sad

However, I'm very fortunate in the fact that I'm see the best available.

MeggieMog Fri 01-Feb-19 20:33:49

I have a silicon bobbin in place of the trapezium on my left thumb - this is probably the operation you would need. It was done in 2014 and I (stupidly) tried to do too much with the hand before it healed and I think this hampered recovery. You need physio after to regain strength. It is now (largely) pain free and fairly strong, so more or less a successful surgery. I desperately need the same op on the other hand but keeping putting it off as I'm just too busy.
I had the steroid injections once and it was pure agony - thought my whole arm was literally on fire, and it helped not one jot, so went straight to surgery after that.

MeggieMog Fri 01-Feb-19 20:36:36

I've just reread your OP and your doc said he would just remove the joint. I remember this being an option for me too, but the thumb would lose strength and would become far shorter, and fold in towards the palm. This is why I had had the bone removed and the silicon bobbin put in it's place, which I think is a much better option as the hand works almost completely normally.

Singlegrannie Sat 02-Feb-19 09:26:33

Thanks for your advice Meggiemog. I have decided against surgery for the present because of the recovery period. I am finding the rhus tox and ruta cream helps, but will definitely look into the silicon bobbin option in the future .

Sparklefizz Mon 04-Feb-19 07:36:44

Singlegrannie I'm glad the Rhus Tox & Ruta cream is helping you. I've been using it for 4 years. My fingers began developing nodules but these vanished and I have no pain as long as I use the cream every night on my hands like hand cream. There's no way I would contemplate surgery and recovery time when something so simple works.

Marydoll Mon 04-Feb-19 09:33:54

Sparklefizz, the cream has taken the edge off my pain, so thanks for the "heads up". The pain is now reasonably bearable, it's great to hear you are pain free.

annodomini Mon 04-Feb-19 09:43:30

About 16 years ago, I had surgery on my right thumb joint. The surgeon said it was an operation he had devised himself in which he took the joint out, cleaned it up and replaced it with a piece of surgical sponge to form a buffer (or whatever he called it). He then pinned it with two pins and immobilised it in an enormous crepe bandage - my fist looked like a rugby ball - which stayed on for six weeks. When the pins came out, I was staggered at how big they were! This was followed by weeks of physio and exercises. I never felt a moment's pain after the op as the anaesthetist had put in a 24 hour nerve block. The hand is as good as new and has given me no pain in the intervening years. That surgeon was a genius - alas, now retired. I hope that you, Marydoll, can find such excellent treatment.

Marydoll Mon 04-Feb-19 09:54:24

Thank you Anno for your kind words. The pain is so debillitating and I have, steadily lost hand function over the years, but it is deteriorating really quickly now.
However, it's not life threatening and there are so many many on GN, who are suffering much more than me!

LilyGraham Wed 29-Sep-21 13:21:00

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Shez1955 Fri 01-Oct-21 15:24:26

Thank you for this post.
I have pain in my thumb joint.
Ordered the Helios Rhus Tox & Ruta cream. I’m hoping this will ease the pain. Delivery was a bit steep at £3.15 for a tube. I couldn’t find it on Amazon.

Sweetpeasue Fri 01-Oct-21 22:45:41

Just been alerted to this thread. I want to say my husband has had both hands operated on for carpal tunnel and 2 yrs ago both hands for a Trapeziotomy. He had awful pain in lower thumbs and beneath but soon after ops was pain free. Seeing how long ago this thread was started you may now have already taken this route.

Kali2 Fri 01-Oct-21 23:05:02

I had this for years- and then it went and never returned. Never had any treatment.