Gransnet forums

Health

Manuka honey or Zovirax?

(11 Posts)
Katek Wed 07-Nov-18 09:02:34

I’m just getting over a very nasty throat/urti viral thingy but now have the beginnings of not just one, but two cold sores! Life just isn’t fair! I was off to use my tried and tested Zovirax cream but my sil has suggested Manuka honey as a natural alternative. Think I may spend the day trying not to lick it off though. Does anyone have any experience of this?

aggie Wed 07-Nov-18 09:07:06

I always use the cream , the honey is not always true Manuka , or so I have read ,

Bellanonna Wed 07-Nov-18 09:15:49

Zovirax always seems to work. Are you meant to take the Manuka or just apply it? It seems a rather expensive way of tackling the problem. I hope you get rid of the sores soon Katek.

Sparklefizz Wed 07-Nov-18 09:23:40

Although I use Manuka Honey for several things, aggie is right that many are labelled Manuka but are not .... and I have never heard of it being used for cold sores. I would stick with the Zovirax and boost your immune system after your nasty viral thing with plenty of good quality Vit C and a form of Echinacea called Echinaforce, which is the elite and absolutely brilliant. Recommended to me by a naturopath 30 years ago and works as well as an antibiotic but without any side effects ... excellent to take a maintenance dose at this time of year to boost against 'flu.

Bellanonna Wed 07-Nov-18 09:29:33

Sparklefizz, thank you for the Echinaforce advice. As one who gets bad bugs in the winter I shall definitely look into that.

B9exchange Wed 07-Nov-18 09:36:39

Manuka honey is good for bacterial infections, but cold sores are a virus, I would stick with the Zovirax - less calories too! smile

harrigran Wed 07-Nov-18 10:25:14

Never pussy foot with cold sores, first sign of a tingle use Zovirax.

Katek Thu 08-Nov-18 10:14:39

Thanks for the input everyone. I went with the Zovirax and 24 hours later the beast is drying up nicely. It’s also a lot cheaper than Manuka......£25 upwards!!

Riversidegirl Mon 03-Dec-18 15:55:59

I find Prevasore works best, and also have a cold sore "zapper" from Boots.

BlueBelle Mon 03-Dec-18 16:10:15

I have just had success using coconut oil (cheap as chips) tried everything without any help at all but they just disappeared over night Worked for me it was just a chance I hadn’t read anything just trying anything I could think of

Daddima Mon 03-Dec-18 16:49:36

There are only enough manuka trees to make a fraction of the honey sold as manuka, and, as said before, it would have no effect on a viral condition.
Many years ago one of my elderly neighbours had a varicose ulcer on her leg which resisted all creams and antibiotics. She sent me to a local farm for ‘ raw’ honey straight from the comb, which she applied to the ulcer, and it was gone in days!