Gransnet forums

Health

Back Pain

(11 Posts)
SarahSmith Sat 16-Jan-21 09:43:08

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SarahSmith Fri 08-Jan-21 05:20:44

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

VWlady Sun 23-Aug-20 10:11:21

Can anyone give advice about treatments for sciatica pain from ‘slipped disc’? I’ve had pain and numbness down my leg and foot for 4 weeks now first diagnosed as trapped nerve but now as herniated disc. I’m a widow and live alone so it’s very difficult to cope with. I’m in my 60s and normally very active but this is making me feel so old and isolated and very trapped in my house.

HildaW Wed 14-Nov-18 15:26:59

Best thing I ever did for my back pain...caused by several 'slipped disc' episodes was to sign up to a personal trainer qualified to deal with such problems. 12 months of gentle but effective exercises has strengthened my core, made me much more resilient and enabled me to forget the times I was crawling around on all fours in agony! Oh yes and getting the very best mattress I could afford.

travelsafar Wed 14-Nov-18 14:28:30

Oh you have my sympathy gillybob i have been suffering for over a year now, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, i am going next week for a nerve block injection into my spine so fingers crossed that it solves the problem.Meanwhile i keep popping the painkillers which dull or take away the pain so i can function. I take Robaxin on a daily basis and add in Ibruprofen if it is really bad. Hope you find a solution very soon, it takes over your life doesn't it, being in constant pain. flowers

tanith Wed 14-Nov-18 14:24:09

Have you tried taking paracetamol with the ibuprofen? You can take them both together or staggered this combination surprisingly works better for some people.

GrandmaFaye Wed 14-Nov-18 13:09:56

Forgot to add that ice packs were my best friend prior to having surgery. They did ease the pain somewhat.

GrandmaFaye Wed 14-Nov-18 13:08:29

I just had back surgery October 30th. I had spinal injections for pain until they were useless. Surgery seems to have been my solution, so far so good. I wish you well.

Juggernaut Wed 14-Nov-18 12:13:51

I've PM'd you gillybob

Bathsheba Wed 14-Nov-18 12:06:27

Oh gilly I can't help I'm afraid, but I couldn't just read and run. So sorry you're in such constant pain, it's so hard to deal with - I've been there and in my case I was taking tramadol, but of course, that will probably knock you out, so no help in your situation. I do hope someone comes along with a solution for you flowers

gillybob Wed 14-Nov-18 12:01:02

Just wondered if anyone could recommend a cream or gel I could use for lower back pain?

I have a TENS machine which I use at home quite often but I could do with something I can use outside home (driving is agony) and I have to take the little ones to/from school and function at work. I have taken Ibruprofen (which isn't even touching it) and at the minute I just don't know where to put myself the pain is so intense. I have some strong painkillers prescribed by my consultant for MS pain, but I wouldn't be able to drive, work, look after children or function if I resorted to taking those.

Any advice will be gratefully received. smile