Gransnet forums

Health

Life After total knee replacement

(55 Posts)
henetha Sat 17-Nov-18 10:10:25

Hope this helps you, emabhijeet. The hospital will give you all the information you need before the operation.

henetha Sat 17-Nov-18 10:08:02

I watched it out of interest, tiredoldwoman because I have had two full knee replacements. Both were completely successful and I can now walk just fine. It can transform your life, so I hope you have it done, Even with a spinal anaesthetic (which is nowhere near as bad as it sounds) you can ask for a sedative and just float through the operation.
The physiotherapy afterwards is really important, and with any luck you should be walking just fine again within a very few weeks. And all that unbearable pain will be gone.

tiredoldwoman Sat 17-Nov-18 10:02:19

I watched a TKR op during the week , I didn't see the whole thing , I either fell asleep or passed out . It was horrific . I'm booked in on Thursday to see my doc about my unbearable knee pain but after watching that programme I am terrified . Did anyone else watch it and see the outcome ?

Charleygirl5 Sat 17-Nov-18 09:38:28

These are questions you should have asked your consultant. Many GNs have had knee replacements and I doubt if two are the same. Some will be cemented, others uncemented, not all will be full knee replacements.

Some will expect to walk 10 miles a day, others to do their normal everyday tasks without grinding pain. Some will expect to return to work, others will be semi or fully retired.

emabhijeet Sat 17-Nov-18 08:05:53

How the total knee replacement surgery performs and life after prosthesis implant, how much time it takes to be as original body part, how long an artificial joint will last and what can a patient expect in respect of work efficiency ?