Gransnet forums

Health

Knee replacement December 2018

(24 Posts)
Johndavidson Wed 28-Nov-18 07:44:21

I'm due to have a right total knee replacement in Decmber. Any advice/information from those who have had one? I was advised to use a detailed youtube video for my first week home by an excellent NHS Physiotherapist

https://youtu.be/4AHdqlfJBIA
Do you think it will help? smile

BlueBelle Wed 28-Nov-18 07:46:58

Unfortunatly your doesn’t work

BlueBelle Wed 28-Nov-18 07:47:17

Your link thatvis not you ??

Lisagran Wed 28-Nov-18 08:10:01

I found “Patient info” on the web a good source of advice and info when I had a hip replacement a few years ago.
patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/arthroscopy-53

Jane10 Wed 28-Nov-18 08:23:01

The Bonesmart forum is easily the best insight into what knee replacement is really like. The postings by actual patients contain a host of knowledge and can help people to feel that they are not alone as they recover. It's good to have a group of people to check with too.
Good luck with your TKR

Jane10 Wed 28-Nov-18 08:29:56

BTW I faithfully did the physio exercises after my first TKR - result, inflammation leading to adhesions. I had to have a manipulation under anaesthetic for it. On thinking about it you wouldn't exercise a broken leg immediately after the break so why do it for a TKR? Next TKR I refused physio, let my knee heal, iced and elevated my knee and walked around the house. Keeping doing normal activities like walking led to a terrific and rapid recovery. On checking the research literature I found that there was no evidence for efficacy of physio after TKR! My surgeon agreed and said that his colleagues who'd had this op didn't do physio either.
As a ex NHS person it was counterintuitive but I've done it both ways and I know which one I prefer!!

Lisagran Wed 28-Nov-18 08:31:20

Oh yes Jane10 - Bonesmart is excellent - forgotten that site.
Good luck OP

MrsJamJam Wed 28-Nov-18 10:02:16

DH had his done in September so is now 9 weeks in. Has followed instructions to the letter and is doing really well. He was firmly told not to be stoical about painkillers after the op but to take them as instructed, which he did, and is now off them completely. Physio was not hard to start with but focused on getting flexibility and making sure the scar did not tighten up. He went privately for physio so that he got more support and advice - and a pretty young physiotherapist who massaged his knee ! I think that has been a good investment.

I have now done my back in, so he is moving a lot better than me sad

Jane10 Wed 28-Nov-18 10:08:59

Just to add in another counterintuitive factor - after the first TKR where I took the opiate painkillers as instructed I was so sick and confused that I refused them all for the second one. I managed fine with painkillers and swearing! I felt so much better and in control. Obviously I'm a contrarian but I know which worked best. It's a matter of confidence I think. I was much more confident after my experience of the first one. Of course I'd actually had a TKR unlike the so called experts in charge of patient care!

Stansgran Wed 28-Nov-18 13:47:20

Following with interest as I'm booked for January.good luck op.

Jane10 Wed 28-Nov-18 14:33:44

Quite a lot of us on here have had TKRs. You'll get masses of horses mouth info from Bonesmart but please feel free to ask here too.

Charleygirl5 Wed 28-Nov-18 15:43:35

My last knee replacement was in May of this year and the consultant has changed the post-op regime totally. Last time it was a wing and a prayer but this time it was much more structured, even throwing in 3 hydrotherapy sessions which I enjoyed. I did not do every exercise slavishly- I was in a lot of pain for a few weeks post op so I did what I thought was best for me. I am delighted with the result of this knee replacement- this one will definitely "see me out!"

Catworzel Thu 14-Feb-19 09:07:12

Bone smart forum re. recovery from TKT. Where can I find it please?

Charleygirl5 Thu 14-Feb-19 09:15:09

It has zilch to do with Gransnet. Just google Bone Smart and TKR and you will find what you want- good luck.

Catworzel Thu 14-Feb-19 09:32:58

Morning everyone. I’ve just discovered this forum/website and wish I’d known about it 15 years ago!
I’m 71, just, and am an old hand ( or should it be leg?) with knee replacements. The first in 2004 after my posterior ligament went in 2000 and an arthroscopy didn’t help much; the second in 2009. Both successful after the painful but vital post op exercises and still allowing me to walk, do yoga, and aqua aerobics.
But..... I now need some advice as my 14 year old left knee replacement has started to feel odd over the last few months. Heavy and aching and fat, although it’s not swollen, it just feels that way. I’m concerned that it’s a sign of wear or loosening. I’m not ready to go to the doctor yet as I’m not in any pain and it doesn’t feel as if it’s going to give way. I wondered if any of you marvellous people have experienced this?

Charleygirl5 Thu 14-Feb-19 09:40:45

It sounds as though your knee is beginning to complain and you may well need for it to be revised.

I am aware you do not want to go near a hospital yet but I would do some research re an orthopaedic consultant who is conversant with revision knees so that you have all of your information to hand if your knee deteriorates rapidly.

silverlining48 Thu 14-Feb-19 09:48:53

I am waiting in the wings, following tests have been told I do need a new knee but it’s up to me to decide when, that is when I can no longer stand the pain. Its intermittent, some days ok some days not, but often a problem at night. Sharp not dull pain and I do use painkillers if necessary.
So given nhs waiting times and also the stress which might be put on my other knee, when do I start the ball rolling?
Will check out bonesmart in the meantime,

jeanie99 Sat 16-Feb-19 22:00:53

My husband had a knee replacement last June 18.
He has severe Arthritis in his hip also, the consultant thought he may need a hip replacement.
He had so much pain for several weeks in his knee and hip but did the recommended exercises religiously as shown by the Physio and now 6 months later he is pain free.
Best of luck.

Charleygirl5 Sat 16-Feb-19 22:14:24

silverlining I made the decision I needed my second knee replaced when I started to get pain at night. Do not leave it too long because it can do more harm than good.
Osteoarthritis is graded 1-4, 4 being the worst. Mine was at 4 so that was another reason to get things moving. That means it is bone rubbing on bone and no amount of physio will change that.

silverlining48 Tue 19-Feb-19 22:52:40

Thanks charleygirl I didn’t know about knee grades. Think that will be very helpful

edwardfrancis Wed 20-Mar-19 08:10:15

Before the knee replacement surgery, the patient must aware of the risks and benefits of surgery. There are several conditions which may lead to the need for knee replacement, arthritis is the most common reason. I got details about knee replacement from this blog astermedcity.com/blog/Readmore/what-to-expect-from-a-knee-replacement-treatment/

toscalily Wed 20-Mar-19 10:17:53

I am similar to silverling48, having been advised I would need an operation but have tried to be proactive with exercise, yoga, pilates, swimming & walking over several years to try and keep the operation as far away as possible. I did not know of the grading system so will find out more. We are of course all different with regard to pain levels and I wonder what others consider to be the upper limits as it were before deciding to go for the op. My other knee is also hurting now, so going up stairs or down hurts both knees, one more than the other, walking or standing just a dull ache most of the time, exercise I go as far as I feel able, night time is often quite bad with the aches & pains so not very restful. I suppose really what I am asking is when do you say to yourself enough is enough?

Jane10 Wed 20-Mar-19 10:29:40

Google the Oxford knee score. Its what medics use when assessing the state of knees. Sorry I dont know how to post links.
I suspect the link above is an advert.

aries52 Fri 29-Mar-19 19:16:09

Hi I had a knee replacement three and a half years ago and I felt that it was extremely successful as I was walking independently st 4 weeks and driving again. My knee felt great as all the pain had gone. I still experience some tightness in the muscles around my knee which I only notice when going up and down stairs. I have learnt to live with it and it does not cause a huge problem but just wonder whether this is a common thing.