Gransnet forums

Health

Poorly tummy

(63 Posts)
gillybob Wed 28-Nov-18 15:32:56

I sent myself home from work yesterday with a very poorly tummy. Cramping pains and feeling very nauseous. I fully expected to be back up and running today but am still feeling very sorry for myself . I can’t remember the last time I had to take time off work (due to sickness) and although I hate my job with a passion I feel very guilty about not being there and not being able to see to the children either. I have barely managed to drag myself out of bed today . I will have to crawl there tomorrow if I’m no better as I have so much to do. I wonder if there’s a tummy bug going around ? Anyway GN has kept me company . smile

morethan2 Wed 05-Dec-18 13:56:52

I do hope you pick up soon gillybob I’m just starting to feel better although I still feel tired. I’d been feeling like you for three weeks before I went to my doctor. That was probably the reason it turned into a bad infection and unusually for me my insides just stopped working. She thought it was an obstruction so thats why I ended up in hospital on an antibiotic drip. It’s still a bit of a shock it come to that. So you get along to the doctors before the build up to Christmas takes over your already busy life. Oh and drink more water flowers

gillybob Wed 05-Dec-18 09:45:06

I can confirm that no one else in my family has “caught” whatever it was I had. I was in close contact with my DH, my dad, both of my children and all of my grandchildren (including the baby) in the days before so my conclusion is that it probably wasn’t the Norovirus. I’m loads better but still a bit off-colour with tummy pains and a sickly feeling . Will probably try to see my GP next week if it continues much longer .

Persistentdonor Wed 05-Dec-18 08:55:07

Thank you Readymeals...... it wasn't my intention to suggest anyone was unhygenic, but I know many people never give taps, door handles and light switches a second thought. In my experience, the only person I know for a fact is careful about handwashing, is me!!

ReadyMeals Tue 04-Dec-18 09:10:57

Persistentdonor, before anyone thinks they must be unhygeinic I should point out that norovirus which is the virus that is most prevalent in gastroenteritis infections, can be caused by very tiny amounts, I think I have read only 10 particles - making it worse than most viruses for passing on. Also it's not sensitive to the antibacterial wipes except inasmuch as they wash stuff off in general, but they don't actually kill that germ. It's sensitive to bleach solutions if you actually want to kill it. For hands, norovirus is best removed by normal washing with soap and water. Anyway that's the current advice available from health authorities online.

Persistentdonor Sun 02-Dec-18 10:13:35

To state the obvious... tummy bugs are spread via poor handwashing and touching things such as taps, light switches, door handles and loo flush of course.

If you deal with cash, that is a good way of getting nasties too.

So, leaving the post out in the corridor may not be entirely useful, but obsessive use of anti bac wipes may help a lot.

Hope you are recovered very soon.

Urmstongran Fri 30-Nov-18 17:44:59

Meant to say - not self employed anymore though. They sold the business, banked the money and she works full time in a hospital. Less stressful she says.

Urmstongran Fri 30-Nov-18 17:43:33

Hope you’re getting better gillybob. My sister was self employed with her husband for years and she did the wages for the 6 staff etc. Even when she was receiving treatment for Stage 4 breast cancer - having mastectomy, chemo then radiation - she hardly had any time off. I worried about her constantly. 3 years on, still in remission, still working though.

ReadyMeals Fri 30-Nov-18 10:14:16

Justwokeup, I heard the germs can live on surfaces for a week sad

harrigran Fri 30-Nov-18 08:24:33

Pudding, hogwash ?
When I was extremely ill GN was the one thing that kept me sane.

justwokeup Fri 30-Nov-18 01:41:28

Just read that you work for yourself - so maybe the only one who can find a solution to working too hard in a job you hate is you. hmm No wonder you're feeling ill. Best wishes for feeling better soon.

justwokeup Fri 30-Nov-18 01:36:28

Official guidance is you have to be 2 days clear or you will pass it on. Think how much work that will cost the company if you go back, and snuggle back down in bed. Remember everyone is replaceable or, if you're really piled with work no-one else can do, as a colleague told me once, sometimes things have to fail before anyone does anything about it. You're entitled to sick leave and you'll not do anyone any favours by going back before you're well. Hope you're feeling much better soon.

nanalounet Fri 30-Nov-18 00:56:20

Not trying to hijack OPs post, but this seems an ideal thread to put the following on: My Dil, Gs, and Gd. have all suffered with this this week. Gd ( age 5) retuned to school today. On her return this afternoon she said " Mum I told my teacher I wasn't there cos I had fleas". Dil was flabbergasted and said "No you didn't have fleas, you had a bug, a sickness bug. I have now told all the family that if they suffer with this they are to report that they have the fleas. Once fir they are to announce that they have now been de-flead and are fit for contact with the outside world, I would have loved to have seen that teachers face. lol

Willow500 Thu 29-Nov-18 19:51:08

Glad you're feeling a little better today Gilly - hope you did go home once you'd done the wages. As you know I've been there and done that and when there is no one to delegate to you have to just get on with it. I had something similar last year and it was several days before I managed to eat a little mashed banana which is full of potassium and one of the best things to eat when getting over stomach problems.

Camelotclub Thu 29-Nov-18 18:16:56

Don't know about a tummy bug but I've had a lousy cold since the weekend. Hacking cough.

Overthehills Thu 29-Nov-18 17:57:34

DH floored by a bug for four days. I hope you continue to improve Gilly and that you can at least get home early from work. And if it helps in any way - keep posting and we’ll keep supporting! wink

grannymary Thu 29-Nov-18 17:34:10

I hope you’re better soon gillybob. I succumbed to this tummy upset on Tuesday, very sick etc but feeling so much better today and managed a little chicken soup now. DGS says I’m 50% better and will be all better tomorrow. I hope you are too

loopyloo Thu 29-Nov-18 17:10:22

Gillybob, I just hope it's not appendicitis. If you don't feel better soon get it checked out. Best wishes .

kittylester Thu 29-Nov-18 17:04:00

What corner and Galen said gilly. brew

Galen Thu 29-Nov-18 16:59:25

Keep well!

cornergran Thu 29-Nov-18 16:24:48

You sound better morethan, delighted you got to the right place.

It’s horrible to feel as you do gilly, hope you can manage something warm soon. Please monitor it though, don’t want you in hospital too, Seek advice if it doesn’t clear. I know ‘that place’ is hard to avoid but do rest when you can. Sorry, didn’t mean to nag.

Tinydancer Thu 29-Nov-18 14:49:04

If it is Noro virus it lives on any surface for 48 hours at least. Have a look on line for the symptoms and how long it lasts and how easily it is passed on to others. If it is the dreaded Noro please stay away from others, even the post will be infected. It is so infectious. Really hope you are feeling better very soon. Take care. x

EllanVannin Thu 29-Nov-18 13:52:36

Dry toast,gillybob ? Then a bowl of chicken soup,even if it's Heinz.

mumofmadboys Thu 29-Nov-18 13:31:32

Hope you feel a lot better soon morethan. Hope the enforced rest is doing you good.

gillybob Thu 29-Nov-18 13:14:15

So glad to hear you're on the mend morethan and thank goodness you went to hospital when you did . I’m feeling a bit better today but still really sluggish and darent eat anything . Thank you for your kind words x

Busset135 Thu 29-Nov-18 13:11:30

I watch a tv documentary a couple of years ago that said 20% of the population can't catch Norrovirus as they are genetically immune. I certainly am