Gransnet forums

Health

Teeth grinding guard

(33 Posts)
Chewbacca Tue 11-Dec-18 13:06:07

Just had a dreaded visit to my dentist, following recurring toothache. X rays and checks can find nothing that can be causing the pain, i.e. no cavities etc. Dentist said that he can see that Ive been grinding my teeth a lot and that's causing enamel erosion and extra wear and tear on existing crowns and fillings. He's taken an impression of my teeth today and is having a dental guard that I must wear at night, which is supposed to ease the damage of night time teeth grinding.
I'm not looking forward to this! I have enough trouble sleeping properly at night as it is and wonder if having a guard in my mouth all night will be uncomfortable. Has anyone else had one of these? How did you get on with it a and did it help?
Tia

harrigran Tue 11-Dec-18 13:57:37

DH wore one and it was fine because it was tailor made, problems started when he had to have a tooth out and made the guard uncomfortable.

Pagzy Tue 11-Dec-18 13:58:21

I had the same reservations but have found it surprisingly comfortable right from the first night.

SueDonim Tue 11-Dec-18 14:03:52

I had one, some years ago, to try and prevent migraines (it didn't!) and it was ok. It feels a bit odd but it's in no way painful or uncomfortable. I hope it helps you.

Brunette10 Tue 11-Dec-18 14:17:52

I had one fitted a few years ago as I had sore jaws when I woke in the morning. It turns out I was grinding my teeth whilst sleeping which obviously I was totally unaware of. The guard did help a bit, it didn't bother me at all trying to get to sleep. I'm sure it will be fine if fitted properly and it will help stop the teeth grinding. Just give it a go.

annsixty Tue 11-Dec-18 15:05:16

I was soon cured of the need for one when my dentist told me it would cost £1000, this was several years ago.

Nandalot Tue 11-Dec-18 15:44:07

I had one years ago made to measure by the dentist as I am a ‘grinder’. I found I could fall asleep all right, but woke in the middle of the night in a panic. I gave up wearing it and am paying the price now w with cracked and crumbling teeth!

Izabella Tue 11-Dec-18 15:49:48

Yes have worn one for several years. Tailor made by my dentist for around £30 I think. Very light and malleable. Just pop it in a glass with s steradent tablet now and again. Originally it rubbed a tiny area of gum but the dentist trimmed it. The only difference I have noticed is that I (rarely) dribble a little bit from the corner of my mouth but now keep a towel on top of the pillowcase.

Chewbacca Tue 11-Dec-18 16:52:28

£1000 annsixty? shock Dear God, I hope not. feeling faint.

Auntieflo Tue 11-Dec-18 16:57:56

Oh Chewbacca, didn’t your dentist give you an eatimate of cost?
I am beginning to think that I may need a gusrd at night.

Chewbacca Tue 11-Dec-18 18:19:51

No auntieflo, but to be fair, I was so desperate to get out of there, I didn't hang around long enough to ask how much it would cost. I've been with my dentist for 40 years and I'm kind of hoping that he would have given me a heads up if it was going to be very expensive. Rather than wait until next week, I'll call him tomorrow and ask. Please, please, don't let it be £1000

maryeliza54 Tue 11-Dec-18 19:10:48

I wear one- paid £85 ( private) 3 years age. I hate putting it in for some reason but then completely forget about it - no problems at all

Chewbacca Tue 11-Dec-18 19:13:10

Oh that's not so bad maryeliza; better than a grand anyway! And cheaper than a set of dentures!

Nanabilly Tue 11-Dec-18 21:53:13

If the dentist recommend s a guard then get one either custom made or off the peg . I was told I needed one year's ago as I'm a teeth grinder and he said he could see signs of cracking and wear . I refused as I was worried about swallowing it in my sleep. Since November I have 3 teeth crumbling away .

HootyMcOwlface Tue 11-Dec-18 22:02:53

I had one years ago, as my jaw is slightly misaligned, but stopped wearing it as it made my mouth water a lot which I didn’t like. It had metal clips on it and was a bit awkward to get on. Sounds like they are better now.

maryeliza54 Tue 11-Dec-18 23:07:56

Honestly you couldn’t swallow it - it fits snugly and couldn’t dislodge

Bigred18 Wed 12-Dec-18 01:42:04

I've had one for years - jaw clenching, sore tm joint leading to earache and face ache. Sometimes it's been hard to lift my head from the pillow. Ive had so many cracked teeth. Paid about $350 in Oz - dentists are private here.

Teacheranne Wed 12-Dec-18 02:27:58

I am wearing mine right now! It cost me £100 privately just last year. It is made of a rubbery material, like the guards fugby players wear. It fits snugly around my teeth and does not move all night. I clean it every day with toothpaste and also freshen it up in steradent every now and again.

You should be fine.

harrigran Wed 12-Dec-18 09:23:50

DH paid £50 I believe, but it was a few years ago.
A famous online warehouse sell basic ones for a few pounds.

Izabella Wed 12-Dec-18 09:24:48

Chewbacca a pic of mine just to reassure you they are light and comfortable. I have two as they are not expensive and it takes a while for replacements to be made. I also wear one when mountain biking to afford a degree of protection to my implants. I came off over a year ago now and chipped some teeth. I also fractured my wrist and some bones in my hand, but now all in the past.

maryeliza54 Wed 12-Dec-18 09:42:53

Iz I like your red container. Do you have a top and bottom one then?

dragonfly46 Wed 12-Dec-18 09:50:02

I was told I needed one but it would cost over £250 so I refused. It seemed a lot of money and I was not sure I would wear it. Maybe I should go back now though.

Izabella Wed 12-Dec-18 09:51:00

I just wear one for the upper teeth maryeliza54, but one is slightly more robust than the other and I use this for biking (the underneath one in the pic) The case came with the guard.

EllanVannin Wed 12-Dec-18 09:51:37

My brother as a toddler used to grind his teeth and my mum gave him a " EE " powder thinking he had worms or something. It got on her nerves hahahaha.

Izabella Wed 12-Dec-18 09:59:32

My goodness I cannot believe these prices. I just looked on A*** and there are some soft guards that look amazingly similar to mine. Obviously they will not be made from a personal impression of your own teeth but at around £12 they seem a sensible starting point. Whatever you decide just make sure they do not rub.