Gransnet forums

Health

Orthopaedic Surgery Clinic appointment .

(22 Posts)
annodomini Mon 18-Feb-19 18:24:06

I'm with you on opioids, jane10. After my hip op, I didn't stop throwing up until they turned off the morphine pump. Codeine makes me feel nauseous as does Tramadol. Like you, I depend on Paracetamol and swearing, though when I broke my shoulder, I think I did get a dose of oramorph but was too dazed with pain to comment.

tiredoldwoman Mon 18-Feb-19 17:18:51

Hi, O Wise ones ,
Have any of you done a pre-surgery diet to make the best recovery ?
I told my surgeon that I wanted to lose weight and get physically strong and was a keen ( but lapsed ) LCHF dieter.
He was delighted in my pro-active plan and agreed that it was a good diet , lots of protein but to limit my animal protein.

Jane10 Sun 17-Feb-19 08:53:10

Start preparing for coming home after the op. Think about clearing away trip hazards like rugs or small stools or tables. A raised loo seat preferably with handles can be a blessing. If you don't have a walk in shower get a bath board. Of course you might be supplied with these but just in case. Think about how you'll manage meal prep with only one hand (the other will be holding your stick!)
The preparation can help you adjust psychologically to the forthcoming significant BUT temporary life upheaval. It will take longer to recover from than those who haven't had the op will say.
I found Bonesmart really helpful. Their rehab approach works very well. My first tkr I did it the hospital recommended way -disaster. My second knee I refused physio, iced, elevated and just walked about. Result? Rapid recovery, no inflammation leading to adhesions and no resultant manipulation under anaesthetic required. I googled the NICE guidance and the research underpinning it so I was completely confident about my course of action. I also refused all opioid medication second time around. I didnt like how they made me feel. I managed fine on paracetamol and swearing! We're all different. You'll find your way. Good luck.

tanith Sun 17-Feb-19 07:53:54

Glad to hear you now have plans in place and you sound much more positive, and a date to boot, good for you.

tiredoldwoman Sun 17-Feb-19 07:17:14

Hi all, Charleygirl- I'm getting the left knee done first then 3 months later the right one . Doing lots of body strengthening exercises in the mean time and they're helping both body and mind . I'm a bit of an independent loner which has turned into a bad thing for now - so I'm going to turn into a yes girl . So much so, that someone local , about to go through surgery too, has asked me out on a date ! A safe hobbling coffee date - I gulped but said yes . So yes, lovely Jane10 , you were correct about help coming from unexpected sources !
The daughters are upset so I'll have to turn into comforting Mum . Being a Mum is like being a lighthouse isn't it , getting battered by nature but always there with your light on ? My light flickered a wee bit this week but I'm strong again .
Off to look up Bonesmart for more info.
Big Sunday hugs to all . x .

Charleygirl5 Sat 16-Feb-19 09:05:06

tiredoldwoman it must have been a shock to be told that you needed both knees replacing. May I suggest that you do not have them done at the same time, especially as you live on your own.

Over the next few days work out which knee is the worst and decide to have that one done first.

I live on my own, I am extremely independent but I could not have coped having had both done at the same time. I have not regretted having had two knee replacements-mine were done years apart but that is because I had other problems.

Jane10 Sat 16-Feb-19 08:57:23

Re your daughters tiredoldwoman, maybe you've been good old mum for years and they're used to relying on you rather than vice versa. Tell them. Show them how distressed you are. They might surprise you. I hope they do.
Actually, after my first, I found out who my real friends are. They rose to the occasion and were a great support.
DD did everything I asked her but didn't volunteer. DS walked miles in awful weather just to see me and keep me company on long boring days. I was surprised at both of them.

tanith Sat 16-Feb-19 07:48:58

tiredoldwoman it’s always a shock to be told you need major surgery but don’t panic. Being well prepared is the key to a good recovery and although I know it hurts do try to stay as mobile as possible as the stronger your muscles are going in to surgery the better. Do you live alone? Are your daughters close by?
There are plenty of people here who’ve been through it so please ask away about any worries or questions.

Jane10 Sat 16-Feb-19 07:47:21

It's such a shock isn't it. I literally almost fainted when the consultant told me. However, you'll get used to the idea. After my 2 knee replacements I really feel like I'm getting my life back. Walking any distance is fine. I'm no longer looking for somewhere to sit all the time.
There's no doubt it'll be traumatic but well worth it!
Check out the Bonesmart website. Its full of practical advice and suggestions from people who've actually had the replacements.
Good luck. I'm in Scotland. PM me if you'd like to.

tiredoldwoman Sat 16-Feb-19 06:42:53

Hi Elrel, thank you for your story and ideas, it's nice to have on line support .
I havn't been on line for a few days such has been my angst .
Do you live in Scotland - I'm not sure what care I will be offered ? My head is twirling like a kaleidoscope at the moment - lots of writing things down and things to find out about re transport etc .

tiredoldwoman Tue 12-Feb-19 15:42:13

Hi, again .
I attended my appointment last Thursday . Shocked and upset to be told that I need 2 TKR . My head's swimming with list making . I'm feeling a bit weepy - both my daughters knew that I was going for the app , but neither has asked how I got on ! Too busy with their own lives to ask about old reliable Mum ?

Elrel Sun 03-Feb-19 15:23:24

My TKR was November 2016

Elrel Sun 03-Feb-19 15:22:08

PS I have baths now!!

Elrel Sun 03-Feb-19 15:21:31

Found a follow up - actually 10 months after replacement, not 19.

Hi TKR 19 months ago.I can kneel on a bed or sofa easily, any type of floor is possible but uncomfortable., getting up is an effort usually requiring a piece of furniture to hang on to! My 'good' knee sometimes reminds me I was told it would need renewing. I've not lost weight which I know would help. I'm active and walking quite a lot with a stick which I think is mainly for confidence. I can't carry anything easily without the stick.
I'm still slow on stairs in tube and railway stations etc. I tend to go sideways. Escalators are fine. Going down hill is a bit precarious if steep and/or rough ground, going up is slow but fine.
I'm sad not to be able to have a bath but showers are all right even though mine is over the bath, DD's walkin is bliss!
Arthritis is increasing in my right hand.
Overall I'm fine and, from my experience, would recommend TKR. My activities were becoming severely curtailed before I had mine done. Hydrotherapy help me afterwards as did the physio exercises which I still do though not every day.

Elrel Sun 03-Feb-19 15:14:09

OP - I was terrified and told the consultant I'd try exercise and painkillers (and weight loss ?). He smiled gently and assured me that I could come back. A while later I did, mainly worried about the *anaesthetic. All went well and I now occasionally wonder whether/when I'll have the second TKR.
I hope things go well for you. Keep us informed and keep on asking questions!
Before I went in I was provided with grab rails, doorsteps and other helpful things after my home was assessed. Afterwards I wanted to buy a wheeled tray table but was told they oare available on loan and hospital transport was free for follow up physio appointments.
However I live alone so needed a care plan, this was recorded beforehand but there was a hiccup and I had to stay after I was ok for discharge as 'someone' hadn't put it in place. Unnecessary bedblocking ☹️. Just keep on asking!

*I didn't meet the anaesthetist until just before the procedure but he was wonderfully reassuring.

At the time several of us were having knee ops and there was a thread going on here which was very supportive.

glammanana Wed 23-Jan-19 11:03:12

I would ask your GP to refer you to an Occupational Therapist who will sugest and possibly supply all the aids you require to make life easier if you have to have a knee replacement make use of this service as it is very useful my OT helped me enormously when I broke my shoulder and upper arm you just don't know much help you may require

tiredoldwoman Wed 23-Jan-19 05:13:52

Yes, I've making a list of ' things to sort out' . Firstly , I'm going to do ' swedish death clean ' to declutter this old house to make space to hobble and make life easier and safer . Then investigate on-line shopping , patient transport etc . I'm the one who runs to help everyone else , so am used to being independent ,but needing help is something I won't ask for so preparation will be essential .
I'm dreading having surgery but my mobility is becoming a huge problem - it's life changing isn't it ? And I hate change ! thanks to all for info .

Charleygirl5 Tue 22-Jan-19 10:35:29

Your knee/s will be xrayed.

Have you given some thought to what will happen if you are offered a knee replacement? How will you cope at home, are you on your own, will you have to make some adjustments at home pre-op?

Izabella Tue 22-Jan-19 09:45:15

Also sit back and think of all the areas of your life that are difficult because of the knee. Does it stop you going out/upstairs/getting on a bus/shopping/cleaning. and so on. That together with an indication of your painscale will all help.

Marydoll Tue 22-Jan-19 07:26:16

Absolutely nothing to worry about, no pain involved. (Apart from moving about your knee)
Just make sure you remember to give all the relevant info, especially what pain relief you are taking.

I usually get asked on what level my pain is at, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most severe.
Good luck with your appointment.

tanith Tue 22-Jan-19 07:19:58

Probably a chat with a registrar/consultant about the stage your Arthritic knee is at, they will check your range of movement and pain levels you endure. Assuming you have already been through the usual treatments, medication,physio etc they may do an X-ray to determine if your knee is ready for replacement if this is what want.
It’s really all painless and nothing to worry about.

tiredoldwoman Tue 22-Jan-19 05:26:50

I've been referred to this clinic due to having knee arthritis , I received my appointment yesterday !
Fear has set in , what will the first appointment include - a wee blether or x rays ? I don't know what to expect .