Gransnet forums

Health

Exercise over 70

(83 Posts)
Doodle Sat 02-Feb-19 14:12:06

DH and I walk a lot but do little other exercise. I have poor joints. Both of us have asthma and little stamina for energetic exercise. I just wondered what others do to keep fit and if you have any suggestions for us couch potatoes.

grannytotwins Fri 15-Feb-19 11:04:21

This might sound a bit random. I do Ladies Kickboxing. I’m 70 this year. I started two years ago, six months after a stroke leaving me with lack of balance and some left sided weakness. Also I couldn’t raise my left arm above shoulder height. I’m going for my black belt in October. I’ve never been sporty, but I believe that’s there’s exercise suitable for everyone and you are never too old. You just need to find something that you enjoy and that gets you keen to participate.

Elenkalubleton Fri 15-Feb-19 11:12:55

Aquarobics is brilliant,I’ve been going 2 years now, twice a week.You don’t get sweaty which hate,it’s the only exercise I’ve ever stuck at,and the ladies are all ages,I’m nearly 72.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 15-Feb-19 11:18:24

I have a treadmill and try to do three 5 minute sessions a day at 3 kms an hour which is pathetic I know but Any more and I'm bored stupid and get breathless. I also lift 2.5kg weights to improve arm muscles and go to a Tai Chi class once a week for an hour and do a shorter routine at home two or three times a week.
What I have noticed is if I miss any of these sessions for even a couple of days it's really hard to get going again.
Other than that I do my garden in the warmer weather with many tea breaks!

HildaW Fri 15-Feb-19 11:30:22

So very true Matelda....its not a new idea...but 'use it or loose it' is so true. When you have dodgy joints its too easy to make the mistake of thinking you have to use them less, take it easy and just let it all go when getting sound advise and doing exercises with weights or resistance can be so liberating.

goldengirl Fri 15-Feb-19 11:33:20

Swimming most days and Pilates once a week where there is a maximum of 6 in a class so we all get proper attention according to our needs. Love it!

sanders Fri 15-Feb-19 11:36:22

Hi why dont you see if there are any seated exercise classes near you. You can go ta your own pace and are also good fun.

GabriellaG54 Fri 15-Feb-19 11:43:39

Matelda
That's a good news story. Great to hear you persevered. flowers

JessK Fri 15-Feb-19 11:48:49

We have a sit down class near us and I know several people who go and they really enjoy it and surprisingly you do feel as if you've done something but aren't putting any pressure on joints.
I go to a dance class - you can put as much into it as you like and the music definitely helps. It also helps with your memory.

Grampie Fri 15-Feb-19 11:49:12

Agree with overthehill.

Too much vigourous excercise and contact sports risk self-inflicted injuries.

Better to walk an hour each and every day and to rise from sitting never using your arms.

Grampie Fri 15-Feb-19 11:49:34

Swimming too.

grandMattie Fri 15-Feb-19 11:50:34

I'm 71 and do T'ai Chi daily. DH has joined me and finds his joints easier, and also his breathing has improved. My physio says that it should be on the NHS!
I would swim if the smell of chlorine wasn't so strong and there was a pool closer.
Anything gentle which keeps you supple is excellent. with Yoga and T'ai Chi, they improve your breathing enormously, so may well help with your asthma.
Good luck with the choices offered here. Give them a go...

Chino Fri 15-Feb-19 11:55:47

I am 80 and go to a Move it or lose it class each week - you only have to do what you feel up to . It consists of balance, stretching and easy aerobics.
It is a nationwide group and there may be one in your area
Both men and women attend

Hatpev Fri 15-Feb-19 11:59:29

We bought electric bikes just over a year ago and they have given us a chance to cycle again. I was always red in the face and puffing on the old bike but these have five assist levels and six gears. We took them abroad for ten weeks and they only failed to get us up one very very long steep hill. Bought them from ebikes direct who were wonderful. I also like dancing and go to Scottish country dancing each week and ceilidh dancing once a month even though I live in England. I also attempt to play short mat bowls which is not energetic but interesting. Most players are in 70s, 80s and even one in 90s

Happysexagenarian Fri 15-Feb-19 12:25:00

I know I don't get near enough exercise. Most of my interests and hobbies are very sedentary, and IBS and chronic asthma limit my outdoor activities. DH who is much older than me puts me to shame as he walks about 5 miles a day with the dog, and quite happily digs up flower beds without even getting puffed!

I have tried some local exercise groups but I'm not very reliable as I often have to drop out at short notice because of health issues. I'm careful what I eat and fortunately I'm not too overweight so I just stick with walking when I can manage it.

I like the look of those 'easy board' bikes but sadly I can't ride a two wheeler (never learned), but I'd love to have a 3-wheeler.

EllanVannin Fri 15-Feb-19 12:41:55

Just brisk walking has kept me going. Very active in my job before retiring always used 3 flights of stairs instead of the lift.
I now take life pretty easy and haven't developed any joint problems even though I haven't much flesh to cover them, but at least no aches and pains.

A good and varied diet is also key to keeping fit and well and also keeping the mind active is the most important for physical well-being. Having plenty of interests.

Gonegirl Fri 15-Feb-19 12:45:04

Exercise makes me tired. And tiredness brings depression. I think I might be better off just snoozing.

Gonegirl Fri 15-Feb-19 12:46:43

I did go into town on my easy boarder bike yesterday. Getting back was a bit of a struggle. Walked too far round the shops.

Gonegirl Fri 15-Feb-19 12:47:12

I'm just knackered.

David1968 Fri 15-Feb-19 12:52:20

Pilates & swimming. (Both recommended to me by physiotherapists.) Try walking in the pool: I do alternate lengths of swimming and walking. This is definitely helpful for my mobility issues.

Ashcombe Fri 15-Feb-19 12:53:12

Like Chino, I attend a “Use It Or Lose It” class each week which is brilliant. We have a very enthusiastic teacher who is supportive to those who are less able and all routines may be executed seated or standing. Most of us stand all the time.
I also belong to a seated Pilates class which takes place each week and I find that helpful. I’m nearly 69 and have had both hips replaced due to osteoarthritis. On the days that I don’t have a class, I aim to walk; as I live in Torquay, I’m lucky to enjoy sea air and views at the same time!

GoldenAge Fri 15-Feb-19 13:12:25

Get involved with your local tennis club. At mine there are drop in sessions for older people and we have a group of around a dozen over 80s who play with each other (gently) two or three mornings a week - no competitions, no raging testosterone, just old fogies having a great time and exercising all round.

Tillybelle Fri 15-Feb-19 13:46:31

Doodle

Forgive me if you have received this advice before.

The Keep Fit lady came to the Women's group and said:

Get two 2kilo bags of potatoes and place one bag in each hand Ladies and gently raise your arms above your heads three times.
And rest. Very good.
Now raise your arms again five times.
And rest.
Now raise your arms again another five times.
And rest.
That's very good. You are making great progress. Do this every day and I will see you next week.
Next week she returned to the group and they raised the potato bags again. Thirteen times.
"Very good!!" Said the fitness lady. "Now you are ready to put the potatoes in your bags."

Destin Fri 15-Feb-19 14:12:14

Because I have always felt the benefit of regular exercise from when I was 17 and went to the local keep fit classes, making a commitment to exercising has been an ongoing part of my life. And it’s definitely been the best commitment I have ever made to myself because now - at the age of 76 - I really enjoy life because I feel fit with few aches and pains, have maintained the same weight for decades and don’t take any medication. I still love going to yoga classes, have fun playing tennis through the summer months and get up and go to the gym on cold winters mornings. And another thing no one has mentioned - the social aspect is as important as the physical benefits of regular exercise when you’re retired - you meet some great people of all ages at yoga class, on the tennis court and in the gym!

Qwerty Fri 15-Feb-19 14:15:03

As someone affected by osteoarthritis with a hip replacement, dodgy knees and the other hip possibly needing a replacement, I find Aqua Fit using a foam woddle in the deep end to support my bones, and Pilates, both help retain strength in my joints. I enjoy they make me feel good and delay further operations. Previous higher impact activities are no longer possible and walking is ok, but slower than I'd like. 3 miles feels like 10 nowadays!

Saggi Fri 15-Feb-19 14:25:18

I’m 68 .... I swim three times a week (in all 100 lengths/2.5 km)...I don’t drive so cycle most places...and walk 3/4 miles a day except Monday and Thursday when I walk about 7 miles . I do t do any organised exercise though. My husband is 72 and he exercises his right thumb most days by working the remote control! He’s a wreck...I’m not!