Gransnet forums

Health

How well do you sleep? Q&A with Dr Rangan Chatterjee

(61 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 12-Feb-19 11:39:39

Dr Rangan Chatterjee believes we are living in a stress epidemic and it is affecting, amongst other things, our sleep. We've invited him to take part in a Q&A on Gransnet so that you can ask him for tips on feeling healthier, happier, less stressed and more rested - think we can all do with a bit of that!

He is one of the most influential doctors in the UK and is changing the way that we look at illness. He is known for taking a 360 degree approach to health, which was highlighted in his ground-breaking BBC TV show, Doctor in the House, and in his first book The 4 Pillar Plan. He is the resident doctor on BBC One's Breakfast, a regular commentator on BBC Radio and hosts his own chart-topping podcast, Feel Better Live More.

We have two copies of his new book to give away to randomly selected posters on this thread.

Lazigirl Fri 15-Feb-19 15:19:50

I understand that as we age our melatonin levels decrease, which can upset our natural body clock rhythm. Is there anything we can do about this?

EllanVannin Fri 15-Feb-19 12:55:17

Maybe 3 or 4 nights a year when I'm wide awake but I certainly don't fret about it because the rest of the time I get 7/8 hours of good quality sleep where I don't wake up dozy or sluggish.

Rather than lie there wide awake, I get up and make a drink with some Rich Tea biscs and read or do a crossword.
I never slept during long-haul flights but I was never worse off for not doing so and slept normally at my destination.

Thingmajig Thu 14-Feb-19 14:07:04

Er, should say night shift ... why is there no edit option!!!

Thingmajig Thu 14-Feb-19 14:05:34

I worked the night for years and blame that for my ongoing sleep problems. Getting to sleep is my main issue although I occasionally drop off quickly then wake up around 1am and can't get back to sleep. I've tried everything except proper prescription sleeping pills and nothing really makes a difference.
I was diagnosed recently with diabetes (blood sugar as high as Everest!) and read somewhere that this could have affected my sleep. The recommendation was to take ZMA (zinc, magnesium and Vit B6) before bedtime. I've been taking this for the last few nights now and seem to fall asleep much quicker and for longer. Too early to say if this will answer my problem long term but for now is does seem to be doing the trick!
It's simply a supplement so suitable for most people and definitely worth a try. smile

Nonnie Thu 14-Feb-19 11:24:05

Not so sure about the Magnesium I believe that as we get older our bodies become depleted so it is OK to take some but large doses can be very harmful. Always talk to your pharmacist about what a safe dose is for you.

petra Thu 14-Feb-19 08:13:22

I sleep like a log. Bed at 11, read a little, light off, that's it 'till about 7.
I've followed Dr Chattergee since he first appeared on tv.
I have him to thank for putting me onto a product that more or less 'cured' my IBS.

BradfordLass72 Thu 14-Feb-19 04:17:03

Sage to take down temperature and hot flushes.

Magnesium for restless legs, that's what makes most people wake with a start 1-2 hours into sleep.
Many people don't take enough and then say it doesn't work for them. Try larger a dose. Some health professionals recommend up to 2,500mg per night.

If you have the luxury of not getting up at a certain time each morning, listen to a talking book while awake in the night.

There is usually no need to worry about not sleeping, a certain leading politician once said she never had more than 4 hours sleep a night.

MissAdventure Have you tried hypnotherapy to find out why your subconscious makes you cry out in such distress? It sounds awful.

I've never been 'a good sleeper' but unless lack of sleep actually makes you ill, accepting the pattern and working with it rather than against it is the best plan.

MissAdventure Wed 13-Feb-19 23:27:26

Fingers crossed.
Thank you. thanks

annep1 Wed 13-Feb-19 23:25:08

Its strange that you don't remember because it does sound like nightmares. You must be in a very deep sleep. It must have been scary for your sister!
Here's hoping tonight is a good one ?.

MissAdventure Wed 13-Feb-19 23:12:09

I don't remember having nightmares, anne.
In fact I thought I had managed some decent nights sleep when sis was here, but apparently not.
She was shocked at how terrible I sound, weeping and wailing.
Its no wonder I look like Sid James in the morning!

annep1 Wed 13-Feb-19 23:07:06

Goodness MissAdventure that sounds awful. I wonder what causes the nightmares.

SallyP Wed 13-Feb-19 22:49:36

Like MissAdventure, I cannot stay asleep! I don’t ofterntjace any problem getting to sleep, but wake with a start usually between 30 minutes and an hour later, then can’t get back off to sleep. I often have restless legs which seems to happen just as I’m dozing back off. I work three early mornings so up at 4am on Thursdays and 3 am Fridays and Saturdays ... so it’s difficult to keep to a bedtime. I’m getting to the point I don’t think I can continue with my job because the lack of sleep (on top of the menopause) is having an effect on me generally now.

MissAdventure Wed 13-Feb-19 22:34:32

I just remembered, I also shout "it hurts! Its hurting me!" all night, too.

MissAdventure Wed 13-Feb-19 22:29:09

I used to sleep like a log, whatever problems I had, however bad things were.
Now though, I wake with a start, usually 1.5 hours after I've nodded off, and that sets the pattern for the rest of the night.
To add insult to injury, my sister, when she stayed here asked me if I have nightmares.
She says I spent all of the time I was asleep crying "Noo! Oh please no!" Sounding really distressed.

Mapleleaf Wed 13-Feb-19 19:01:46

I can usually get off to sleep fairly easily now, but I often wake in the early hours and find it so hard to get back to sleep again. Sometimes I’m woken by a need to go to the loo, sometimes it’s because I get cramp in my toes and sometimes it’s just because I wake up! Lately, it’s been the cramp in the toes.

Chewbacca Wed 13-Feb-19 17:00:18

I would do pretty much anything to be able to sleep for longer than the 90 minute cat naps I've has for the past decade or so. It makes no difference what time I go to bed; whether I have a drink or something to eat, temperature of the room etc; 90 minutes is the most I sleep for. And that's pretty rubbish when I have to be up for work every morning. Sometimes, on a Friday night, with the prospect of no work the next day, I have a gulp of Night Nurse and that helps a bit.

Charleygirl5 Wed 13-Feb-19 09:54:33

OMG I am entirely the opposite- I can sleep for London. Although I have to get up during the night more than once to go to the loo I soon fall asleep again. If it was not for my cat persuading me to get up I could sleep for around 10 hours a night but she only allows me 8 hours if I am lucky. I still have the odd snooze during the day. I try not to but it happens. I may have a couple of sleepless nights each year.

annep1 Wed 13-Feb-19 06:09:22

So here I am on Gransnet 6am. awake from 4am with pain in shoulder. gone now after applying Pernaton and taking paracetamol. But still awake! I sleep well a few nights although never more than 5-6 hours. then for some unknown reason pattern changes and I'm awake from 1-5am or thereabouts for a few nights. Can't figure out why it changes. Infuriating and depressing and extremely tiring. can't function properly during the next day. Then pattern reverses again!
Best sleep I have is if I have a glass of wine with dinner at 6pm and a paracetamol at 11pm. Then I could sleep until 8am. But I don't do this regularly. Don't want to get used to it.

ClareAB Wed 13-Feb-19 03:53:25

And here I am at nearly 4am. Hot choc, snack, and a hope that I get a couple of hours...

Lollin Tue 12-Feb-19 19:12:55

I didn't know you have a podcast, off to search for it, if the annoying "sounds" will not be too awkward.

Having children and breastfeeding ruined my ability to get a decent night sleep on a regular basis. Then just when my sleep pattern had improved, along came the menopause! It's affecting my husband's sleep too, so is there any hope of improving the situation any time soon? Amongst other things, it's driving me to stay downstairs some nights.

Harris27 Tue 12-Feb-19 18:44:29

I fall asleep but wake through the night hot flushes and asthma not a good combination! I've tried various remedies but feel nothing really works. I tend to stick to calms to relax me but only take. Edge off. I do feel the lack of sleep plays havoc with my work and daily routine. Don't know the answer just counting sheep and reading!!

grannyqueenie Tue 12-Feb-19 17:59:04

A combination of menopausal symptoms and listening out for teenage daughters getting home safely sabotaged my sleep pattern. 20 years later it is still erratic, despite trying all the “sleep hygiene” tips I often have far less sleep than I think is good for me. As I get older I do find it harder to function if I’ve only had 2-3 hours sleep and am inclined to get a bit grumpy! I take antihistamine if I’ve had a few bad nights which does help a bit. I’m forever reading about poor sleep causing weight gain, raised blood pressure and diabetes. The first 2 do apply to me and it worries me that long-standing lack of sleep is adversely affecting my health, it certainly affects my energy levels. But I suspect that if I spoke to my gp about this I’d be sent off with a flea in my ear... that’s assuming I could actually get an appointment!

farview Tue 12-Feb-19 17:55:29

I don't have a problem falling to sleep...but if I wake up to go to the bathroom.. whatever the time..I find it impossible to get back to sleep.. also.. surprisingly...the more tired I am..eg after working hard or minding grandchildren...the less hours I sleep...which then leaves me still really tired all the next day....I also need my feet out of bed..can't stand them feeling warm....like cold bedrooms also...haha

BlueBelle Tue 12-Feb-19 17:51:02

I m a bunny hopper I don’t put any importance on my sleep pattern and accept it as it comes. I have no set bedtime but usually go between 10 and 11 pm I listen to my radio and fall asleep very quickly usually with it still on will wake anywhere between 2 and 4 play games on my iPad or listen to more radio drop off for another couple of hours and I m usually awake for good between 4 and 6 so probably get around 5 hours sleep I feel quite content and never stress when I m awake I do sometimes have an afternoon or evening nap but that doesn’t stop me falling of to sleep quickly I just take it as it comes I ve slept like this for years

heavensjoys Tue 12-Feb-19 17:10:14

I too have very inconsistent sleep patterns and have done so for many many years. I also suffer with tinnitus, which I am certain does not help.
I have taken to wearing an eye mask and earplugs, not sure if it is a placebo effect, but with these I get a few hours sleep (some nights).

Like so many posters, I am very concerned what impact my poor sleep hygiene will have on my long term health.