Gransnet forums

Health

Mammogram call back

(23 Posts)
Sandrasl Sat 16-Feb-19 08:36:19

I had a mammogram last week and I came home on Thursday to the dreaded call back letter. I telephoned and was told that it was the right breast but she couldn’t tell me anymore. I feel sick with worrying the wait is the worst as my appointment is on Tuesday. I go from being optimistic that it will be something simple to feeling despair and my mind works overtime. I’m 65 and always gone for my screening. I lost quite a lot of weight since my last one so at first thought it was that but it’s only the one breast that has shown something. I did have cysts in my thirties but they were successfully drained and I not had any for years.

Anja Sat 16-Feb-19 08:40:37

I think a significant number of call-backs are found to be benign, such as cysts, which you seem to be prone to. Keep talking on here as there are many who will be able to reassure you.

Sandrasl Sat 16-Feb-19 09:12:45

Thank you Anja

bikergran Sat 16-Feb-19 09:28:24

Hope come Tues they can put your mind at rest

Sar53 Sat 16-Feb-19 09:30:55

I had a call back some years ago. I had to go to a major London hospital and had another mammogram and other tests but was told I had very dense breast tissue and everything was ok.
Please try not to worry too much, it's hard I know. Let us know how you get on. flowers x

Sandrasl Sat 16-Feb-19 09:44:39

Thank you Sara that’s reassuring hope it’s a simple solution

Sandrasl Sat 16-Feb-19 09:45:37

Sorry sar53 silly predictive text!

cathieb Sat 16-Feb-19 10:33:07

This happened to me recently and I had a wave of panic and posted on here for reassurance. The letter said that the recall was due to a technical fault but I wondered if they said this so as not to cause anxiety. When I went back the technician said it was common for mammograms to be blurred or unclear, and the result eventually came back - fine. It was a worrying four weeks though I knew I was being a bit irrational in not fully accepting the ‘technical fault ‘ explanation.

Anniebach Sat 16-Feb-19 10:34:23

I had a call back, All was well, it’s natural to feel fearful , x

bikergran Sat 16-Feb-19 10:39:28

I think the older we get we worry more about Mammograms I didnt used to think too much about mine, but for some reason this time I have a slight niggle in the back of my mind, I don't know why.

Must say though! the one I had on Tues was the easiest most comfortable one I have ever had, apparently new machine,which seems a lot more gentle, even the plates seems to be warmed!

I rem the older machines with cold metal plates hence I think thats where the little verse about having a mammogram came out(you know the one about the garage doors and lying down on a concrete floor) confused

Sandrasl Sat 16-Feb-19 17:28:40

Just wondered what to expect at the appointment and what the outcome has been with people. Reassurance I suppose not that it will change the outcome but it might stop me worrying so much. Thank you

Lovetopaint037 Sun 17-Feb-19 19:52:57

Natural to worry but most call backs are just precautions. My two daughters had call backs but thankfully all was well. Also bear in mind that even if something was found that breast cancer is the most successfully treated of all cancers.
However, hold tight to your nerves as the worry is likely to do more harm than any reason for the call back.

Jobey68 Sun 17-Feb-19 20:15:32

I’ve had breast cancer so firstly I would say even if it is then don’t panic it’s very treatable I’m 4 years on now and going strong!
Secondly call backs are more common than you think and 80% will be given the all clear, most likely it’s normal changes as we get older but if there is something different from the previous mammogram they have to investigate further My sister was recalled and all was well after a further Mammo and an ultrasound just to double check.

I know how hard it is not to worry but I’ve learned from experience that it changes nothing so keeping busy and telling yourself you won’t worry until you know for certain there is reason to is my motto!
All the best X

Sandrasl Sun 17-Feb-19 21:15:51

Thank you. I lost my husband to bowel cancer four years ago so part of me is reliving that too which is adding to the anxiety and not having his strength with me x

farview Sun 17-Feb-19 21:31:09

Sandrasl had call back also..was fine...you've had a lot to cope with...but go..you'll no doubt be fine..x?

Sunlover Sun 17-Feb-19 22:06:56

I too was called back in October 2018. I had a very long weekend waiting to go for the follow up appointment. Firstly they talked and explained why I had been called back ( they had seen something in my left breast) ant then explained how the appointment would proceed. I was very quickly taken for another mammogram and then for an ultrasound. The doctor was lovely and explained that she was pretty sure it was a cyst and then showed me it on the scan. At this point I broke into tears of relief. She then proceeded to drain the cyst.
Everyone was very caring and helpful. A very difficult few days. Will be thinking of you Sandras1.

Sandrasl Mon 18-Feb-19 07:27:04

Thank you. Sunlover could you feel your cyst mine were always just under the surface x

Sunlover Mon 18-Feb-19 09:33:54

Sandras1 I had a couple of cysts years ago which I could feel. This time I couldn't feel anything. I spent the whole weekend feeling my breast. It must have been quite deep in the breast tissue.
Fingers crossed all will be fine for you too.

Sandrasl Tue 19-Feb-19 18:00:13

Thank you everyone on here for your support and reassurance. I’m pleased to say that my situation mirrored Sunlover and it was a cyst. I feel so lucky and relieved as not everyone was as straightforward and some had to go on to have biopsies. Now for a good nights sleep! X

Luckygirl Tue 19-Feb-19 18:14:14

Sleep well! smile

Jane10 Tue 19-Feb-19 18:16:39

Oh that's great news! Glad to hear it. Relax and have a lovely evening.

Sunlover Wed 20-Feb-19 08:37:36

Great news. What a relief x

Marydoll Wed 20-Feb-19 08:54:07

Great news, Sandrasl, I was in similar situation a few years ago, the waiting is awful.