Gransnet forums

Health

Do something nice for yourself

(22 Posts)
Yorkshiregirl Sat 16-Feb-19 10:39:51

Good morning all.
It's another fabulous sunny morning in West Yorkshire, which usually lifts everyone's spirits.
I've been under a lot of pressure, which seems like forever. Health and family problems are never ending, and as soon as I think one thing is resolved some other worry crops up.

I'm sure lots of you are in the same situation, so please treat yourself with love and care.

My way of getting through difficult times now is to first ask myself what advice I would give to a loved one in the same situation, and then tell myself that nothing tends to last forever, so hopefully things will improve. Oh and I have also learnt to put my foot down and say NO.

Enjoy the weekend everyone ?

bikergran Sat 16-Feb-19 10:43:56

Yorkshiregirl my dd has been back to counselling both her Councillors said to do "something nice" for herself each day if poss.. like painting her nails,having a foot soak, buying something new even if it was a pair of socks/knickers etc.
Bit hard to do when you have young family and on your own but got to keep trying. smile

gillybob Sat 16-Feb-19 10:49:48

Health and family problems are never ending, and as soon as I think one thing is resolved some other worry crops up

I know that feeling very well Yorkshiregirl . I am great at giving advice and never say “no” to anyone who needs my help. Sadly it never seems to work the other way around.

It’s a lovely day here and my DH has been roped into removing a kitchen that my sister is buying from someone (he’s like me and can’t say no) he hasn’t been well lately and could have done without it. Anyway I’m planning on a nice walk along the beach on my own, where I will no doubt end up crying as I usually do. Life sucks sometimes .

bikergran Sat 16-Feb-19 10:52:55

Oh a walk on the beach gilly I love being near the sea and the beach, hoping to go to St Annes for a day next week,

Hope you manage your walk and feel a little refreshed later.

Grab a handfull of pebbles and throw in the sea.

merlotgran Sat 16-Feb-19 11:00:33

Health and family problems are never ending, and as soon as I think one thing is resolved some other worry crops up

Yep! Same here. Having dealt with DH's health problems for years and keeping my fingers crossed I might have a stress free summer, Wham! Out of left field is something I didn't see coming and neither did my poor DD.

The something nice for myself, when I go to Aldi later, will be a bottle of gin!!

A lovely sunny sky will do the rest.

gillybob Sat 16-Feb-19 11:02:19

I know I am lucky to live so close to the sea bikergran smile

I collect sea glass and have a huge collection and some beautiful pieces. I also look for pieces of drift wood for the garden, but there is something about gazing out to sea that always starts the tears flowing.

Framilode Sat 16-Feb-19 11:06:59

What is sea glass Gillybob?

bikergran Sat 16-Feb-19 11:08:35

Yes I think I understand, when I go to Llandudno there is always a tear in my eye as the sea dissapears out of my sight, as I always think of the last time dh and myself went on a little weekend and think to myself it was the last time he ever saw the sea.(always a difficult place to go but I have made myself and taken my mum n dad last year and going again this year but still so painful)

I have to compose myself pretty quick ! as I am always driving.

But every so often I have this strong urge to sea the sea, St Annes is only about an hour away Llanddudno around 2 n half so pretty lucky.

Hope you find some lovely gall shining in the sunshine today smile

bikergran Sat 16-Feb-19 11:08:53

tut! my spellings "glass"

Cherrytree59 Sat 16-Feb-19 11:09:50

I can relate to your thread Yorkshiregirl.
I have friends and family going through so much since the start year.
All completely so unexpected that it knocks the stuffing out of you.
I feel so helpless.

Gilly try and enjoy your walk it was our wish to live by the sea but its not to be.
We do live by a forest and some lovely countryside so nothing to whinge about there.

I have a worry stone that I picked up from a beach in Somerset.
I keep it in my pocket and when I get anxious, worried or upset I rub it with my thumb and take some deep breaths and try to control my breathing.
It helps.
Wishing you all peaceful
Saturdaythanks

glammanana Sat 16-Feb-19 11:24:56

I am lucky to live close to the beach and enjoy walks a couple of times a week down there.
This past month I have been looking after my DD after her operation and yesterday was her first day out walking so OH drove us down to the front and we sat and people watched it was a nice day and she enjoyed the fresh air and change of scenary.
We are lucky to live where we do.

Urmstongran Sat 16-Feb-19 11:49:10

My sympathies to all here who are living with worry and anxiety about themselves or loved ones.
I have come to realise that in life ‘happiness’ comes in waves, interspersed with sad times. That’s why we have to make the very most of the joy in our lives and try not to take it for granted as we don’t know what awaits us.
Even in happy times ‘this too will pass’ is true, sadly.
Gillybob ?

gillybob Sat 16-Feb-19 11:59:36

Sea glass is simply glass that has been in the sea for (often) as long as 100 years. The glass is weathered by the rough seas and takes on a frosted characteristic. It is beautifully smooth with no sharp bits. I only collect interesting colours and shapes. Some of my favourite pieces are brown and blue bottle necks, still perfect shapes and markings but as smooth as silk.

Thank you for asking Framilode smile

bikergran Sat 16-Feb-19 12:04:14

gillybob where is your location (roughly)

I would love to be able to be near enough to walk to a beach or the sea, as I have said its only an hour away but then having had a walk I then have to drive back though the traffic for an hour or so and don't always feel like it.

Ive lived in the countryside but give me sea side anytime.

Liz46 Sat 16-Feb-19 12:04:29

I have been ill with lung problems but am improving after treatment. We are driving to New Brighton this afternoon for a long walk along the embankment. The sea air suits me and very few people seem to smoke along there.

We are lucky to live near the sea and really appreciate it.

gillybob Sat 16-Feb-19 12:15:26

I’m on the NE coast biker it’s a beautiful coastline but the winds from the North Sea can be very cold.

gillybob Sat 16-Feb-19 12:16:46

I can be from my front door to the sands in 2 minutes . Heading off there now smile

bikergran Sat 16-Feb-19 12:20:22

Ahh right, yes easterly winds brrr but bracing (fasten your hat on) smile

The only places I have visited and stayed on the NE cosy is Whitby (which I also have fond memories of , Scarborough and Inland towards Beverley.

Was at Whitby last year as I joined my parents, they stayed in The Royal Hotel.

May get there again this year not sure.

ok ta ra fn cup of tea time [brew}

bikergran Sat 16-Feb-19 12:20:58

brew

KatyK Sat 16-Feb-19 13:03:10

How lovely to be so near the sea gilly I seem to be under constant pressure too and seem to have been all my life. According to my DH it's 'mostly of my own making'. It's not. Anyway, I am fed up of trying to eat healthily and worrying about cholesterol, blood pressure, weight. So today I have done something nice for myself - I have had a bag of cheese and onion crisps. smile

Jane43 Tue 19-Feb-19 16:31:27

Gillybob have you read the book Sea Glass by Anita Shreve? It is very good and before I read it I hadn’t heard of sea glass. My sister-in-law lived in a lovely town called Sidney By The Sea in British Columbia for many years. There was a beach there called Glass Beach and once I knew it was there I used to collect some pieces of sea glass each time we visited. I had a collection of white, green and amber pieces and my clever daughter-in-law has made some pieces into pendants and earrings. My sister-in-law has recently returned to England after the death of her husband and it happy to be able to wear her pieces to remind her of her happy years in Sidney with her husband. She still lives by the sea with her daughter in Devon.

Jane43 Tue 19-Feb-19 16:34:48

My best wishes also to all of you living with worry or grief. I hope things improve soon.