Gransnet forums

Health

Chostochondritis

(11 Posts)
paddyann Fri 22-Feb-19 14:10:18

Think thats how its spelt .Anyone have experience of this ,what the long term effects of it are and if there's a way to help with the symptoms.
My D was rushed to hospital with a suspected heart attack and after 4 hours of tests this is what the doctor has said it is.
She has multiple health problems already so she could well do without this on top.Can anyone give advice on how to deal with it,is there anything that can be done to get rid of it?All advice welcome .

kittylester Fri 22-Feb-19 14:29:32

That is sad paddyann, I am so sorry.

I am afraid I have no experience but didn't want to read and run.

Someone who knows something will be along soon, I'm sure.

It's awful when our children suffer isn't it?

MiniMoon Fri 22-Feb-19 14:44:26

I once suffered from Bornholm's disease, which is a condition related to chostochondritis. I was advised to take pain relief and rest as I was experiencing muscle aches and fatigue along with the chest pain. It went away by itself, but it was horrible at the time. I had two little children at the time, so resting was nearly impossible.
I have sympathy with your DD, I remember the pain. flowers for you daughter.

Cold Fri 22-Feb-19 14:49:15

Both myself and DD1 suffer from this condition - when it flares up it is very painful when the joints of the rib cage become inflamed.

There is no cure but in my experience cold, and especially damp and windy weather makes it worse as the pain in the joint's connective tissue gets worse.

Some things that are worth trying:
- Painkillers
- anti-inflammatory tablets such as Ibuprofen (I cannot take these but DD does)
- anti-inflammatory creams and gels such as Neurofen/Movelat gel or Aspergcreme
- warm baths
- Tens or Paingone pens

It is trial and error so hope she finds something that works

paddyann Fri 22-Feb-19 15:01:27

Thank you cold she has Fibromyalgia and pcos so she has a lot of medictaion already .I wondered if there was some alternative therapy that might help as I worry more medication on top of what she has could make things worse .She also has Joint mobility Syndrome ,could this be connected to that ?

Baggs Fri 22-Feb-19 16:16:02

I was diagnosed with this about fifteen years ago. It's supposed to clear up on its own but I still have a sore point at the right side of my sternum. Nothing like as troublesome as it was though. A GP friend in Oxford said there was an injection one could have if the pain got really bad. Swimming made it worse, as did cycling and Scottish Country Dancing, all the things I did a lot of. Hey ho.

On the bright side, I've just done a short bout of scything and raking in the garden. Touch wood, all will be well.

Gonegirl Fri 22-Feb-19 16:30:00

I have had this in the past, once brought on by just moving a plant container sideways and once after the one and only time I went kayaking with the GSs. Really painful for about six weeks and sweet fanny Adams you can do except take painkillers. I believe it is tearing of the tendons between your ribs.

Cold Fri 22-Feb-19 16:39:47

@paddyann

That is very interesting as I am also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. I think that these conditions are likely linked.

One of the things that I also find very helpful is warm water swimming/aquarobics in waters over 31C. I don't know if this is available where you are.

paddyann Fri 22-Feb-19 17:00:07

cold is yours a long term thing or does it come in bouts with some relief like a fibro flare?

Cold Fri 22-Feb-19 20:59:03

I do get periods of relief so it is not bad all of the time - but when it flares up it is really bad - even breathing hurts as the expanding ribcage forces the inflamed connective tissue apart.

I find keeping warm in winter and cold winds important.

I have also found it better since I bough a soft Tempur mattress topper - anything to avoid pressure on my ribcage

paddyann Fri 22-Feb-19 22:32:07

Thank you I ordered her a mattress as soon as I read your post ,fingers crossed it will help