Gransnet forums

Health

Tiredness

(91 Posts)
Bopeep14 Fri 01-Mar-19 11:05:59

Can anyone recommend anything to combat tiredness. I am feel constantly tired all the time, yes i have a busy life looking after grandchildren, but its getting to the stage were i am starting to flag mid afternoon and i still have four hours to go before the little one is picked up. Some nights i am to tired even to eat a proper meal. I have had blood tests done and all have come back normal. I just need an energy boost, any ideas.

Gonegirl Wed 06-Mar-19 16:02:05

Oh yes. I agree with you Alexa.

Alexa Wed 06-Mar-19 15:59:07

Gonegirl, I agree that there is no alternative treatment to Omeprazole. If I don't take it I risk oesophageal cancer from refluxes.I just wish that doctors would politely point out these facts. It's too bad that one has to ask experienced patients at Gransnet for advice.

M0nica Tue 05-Mar-19 08:48:46

Bopeep, you do not say how old you are. My stamina began to run down in my mid-60s, Looking after small children when over 60 can be really exhausting, especially if you are doing it every day.

You may just have to tell your children that you can no longer cope with looking after your DGC as much as you do and that you cannot cope with 2 consecutive days of childcare. You can do, say Monday, Wednesday, Friday, but need Tuesday and Thursday off.

ReadyMeals Mon 04-Mar-19 14:03:35

Well I thought it was dark green vegetables (such as spinach) that can absorb the iron from other food not eggs. And I think they only do that when the soil they grew in didn't have as much iron as the vegetables could have drunk up while growing. Unfortunately underenriched soil can be a bit of a thing with intensive farming methods

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Mar-19 13:58:49

The eggs draining your iron thing could be a myth put out by vegans.
you never know

It won't put me off my brekkie egg.

Gonegirl Mon 04-Mar-19 13:31:56

The thing is with omeprazole and the like is, the doctors know there is no alternative treatment. It's acknowledged that the op to partially close off the eosophagus (sp?) doesn't always work and can do more harm than good.

Gonegirl Mon 04-Mar-19 13:27:01

The eggs draining your iron thing could be a myth put out by vegans.

Gonegirl Mon 04-Mar-19 13:23:07

My doc seems quite happy to let me have omeprazole on repeat.

Off to fry a couple of eggs now. And have a nice cup of tea.

Miep1 Mon 04-Mar-19 12:13:48

I've just come back from my 8-weekly B12 injection. I know when it's due - I can fall asleep standing up!

ReadyMeals Mon 04-Mar-19 11:55:03

I am on long term omeprazole. You can, but it's a good idea to get approval from your GP. I find myself with low vitamin B symptoms from time to time and taking a supplement (I use sublingual B12) puts those right. But I should really take the supplement every day and don't sad

Alexa Mon 04-Mar-19 11:41:22

Morgana, I take omeprazole and got conflicting opinions from two pharmacists. Can you please tell me if it's okay to take omeprazole every day for months or years?

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Mar-19 11:38:22

well, I eat an eggie for breakfast several mornings a week but don't feel any more tired than usual!
'Go to work on an egg'.
I have heard that eggs can stop the body absorbing iron but I don't think my iron levels have gone down since I started eating more (in fact they are better than they were years ago). I can't find a UK site to support this view.
But I did find this:
www.healthline.com/nutrition/6-reasons-why-eggs-are-the-healthiest-food-on-the-planet

And please don't take away my tea smile

Gonegirl Mon 04-Mar-19 11:29:52

No! Don't take my eggies away. sad

BradfordLass72 Mon 04-Mar-19 07:02:25

I learned some time ago (and there's plenty on the Internet about it now) that tea, with its tannin content, and cakes with wheat, may give a quick sugar burst but both those ingredients leach iron from the body, so there's a slump which leads to tiredness.

My dil, is a nutritionist and recently told me eggs leach the body's iron as well. That's a new one on me but backed up by sound research.
You learn summat new every day. grin

NanaWilson Mon 04-Mar-19 04:27:07

Do you snore? Get checked for sleep apnoea. I’m glad I did...now feeling heaps better

Morgana Sun 03-Mar-19 17:26:12

I have always suffered from periods of tiredness. When it is bad, I just sleep as much as I possibly can (including an afternoon nap). I have read that those proton pump inhibitors (such as omeprazole) can make you feel tired and antibiotics just knock me out for a good couple of weeks. I had blood tests etc last Autumn, but nothing showed up. I now take a cold liver oil plus vits. tablet daily, drink a yakult, and find I need to have two or three portions of good red meat per week.

Lilyflower Sun 03-Mar-19 11:34:35

I have always flagged in the afternoon. I have tea and cake at 3.30 which boosts the blood sugar levels and an upright nap. I sit in a chair and doze for a while.

Jalima1108 Sun 03-Mar-19 11:09:16

I think our acestors were dark skinned and we gradually evolved to have paler and paler skin for that reason.
We did have a good summer last year but did people use sunscreen before getting the 10 or 20 minutes recommended without?

Sauerkraut is supposed to be excellent, isn't it? Or any fermented foods.

MargaretX Sun 03-Mar-19 11:02:12

Have you ever considered that because the red headed fair skinned people have survived in Northern Europe it is because they have the ability to take in more Vit D through their skin.

Vit D which is a hormone not a Vitamin, is absorbed in tiny quantities by the body. One question must always be asked. Are there people making money out of this?

As to vitamins apparently you don't need huge amounts of vegetables just the right vegetables. Many peoples of the earth live on much fewer veg than what we get
Sauerkraut would do to survive on in an emergency.

Once again when you get a doctor or a scientist who is independent enough to stick his/her neck out they admit that a couple of tomatoes and an orange have plenty of vitamins, not forgetting that potaoes have plenty,too but they are hardly a modern vegetable.

BradfordLass72 Sun 03-Mar-19 01:45:23

There's a lot of talk about blood tests here as if the are The Compleat Answer. In my case they certainly were not.

Twice I had test as I felt exactly like Bopeep and each came back negative (no anaemia no obvious cause of tiredness).

However, I'd been so convinced they would show iron deficiency that before the result came back, I'd already bought iron (the kind that doesn't cause constipation).

I started taking the highest dose and it was like a miracle - I could have danced all night!!

So blood tests are not the be all and end all some people seem to think.

My doctor thoroughly approved of my decision to take iron despite the tests results and said, 'If they work, that's great, keep taking them.'

NannyEm Sun 03-Mar-19 00:15:26

I enjoy a nap. Perhaps don't need it every day but sometimes just need it to cut out the stress of living with my son who has MS and Borderline Personality Disorder. A nap keeps me going. Most of my friends take a nap as well I have found, so perhaps it IS part of aging.

GrandmainOz Sun 03-Mar-19 00:04:49

I'm continually exhausted too, particularly by the afternoon. I have a GP appointment this week, with a list of questions prepared for this very reason. I had thyroid tests last year, but they were all clear. I'm going to request every test possible, as I can't trudge on like this! A morning of childcare or a long drive for an appointment and I can barely function afterwards. This is no good as I have responsibilities I simply cannot shirk

Everhopeful1 Sat 02-Mar-19 21:31:37

OMG -I am reading this thread thinking noone knows the fatigue I feel, it is not something that I can just 'push through' then 2 people mention PBC. All I can say is me too.

Brigidsdaughter Sat 02-Mar-19 20:44:10

cheekychops is on the right tracks.
This sounds like a significant development.
Get a copy of your blood results. Normal range is very wide and being just in there is not good - you need an optimal range.
Go from there if Vit D and Ferretin well up in range. If funds allow, check Blue Horizon for private tests. I occ get a test done in addition to GP'S annual one.

Hm999 Sat 02-Mar-19 19:04:43

Lloyds Pharmacy do a few blood tests, I don't know exactly which.

Floradix is useful stuff.