Gransnet forums

Health

Medication supplies

(118 Posts)
GrandmainOz Fri 22-Mar-19 01:46:20

This is NOT a Brexit thread. I'm not giving my opinion on Brexit. I'm only questioning its effects. Please don't tell me your opinions. I'm not interested in arguments.
I'd just like to ask people a factual question: if their medical treatment/medication is being affected?
I'm worried about my very close friend.
He was diagnosed with a significant, at that time life limiting, condition 20 years ago (he's now 60).
After many years of worry, a new medication was trialled and it works. Jubilatation!
It got to the point where he only needed to see his GP every 3 months, and his consultant every 6 months.
He was given 6 months medication at a time and was at last free to travel and had peace of mind as the condition became virtually undetectable.
He moved out of London but found a GP with knowledge of his condition. All was well.
Fast forward to 4 mths ago. GP (Portuguese) goes back to Portugal. 3 mths ago consultant (Spanish) went back to Spain.
The only GP he could find was on the exact opposite end of his (very busy, populous) county. This journey is bad enough but could be made impossible if speculated motorway closure occurs.
He was told he could only have 1 month supply of medication from February. At his March appointment this week, that's been further cut to only 2 weeks' supply at a time.
After 10 years of getting 6 month prescriptions.
My friend's condition would quickly flare up and become potentially very serious without these drugs.
Is anyone else having problems? Have you lost your doctor, or had your supply of medication cut?
I'm so worried for my dear friend who has already been through so much.

maryeliza54 Sat 23-Mar-19 08:38:54

My husband is T1 also. I tell myself that the Government just can’t not ensure the supply of life saving drugs like insulin. I also tell myself that other countries will ensure we get our supplies as it is a logistics not production issue. I tell myself all this because partly I believe it but also because I haven’t the emotional space in my head to not believe it. I know some drugs are much more problematic and some posts above demonstrate this. I am so sorry for everyone that is being or is frightened of being affected by drug supply and I’m full of contempt for anyone who rubbishes these understandable fears.

GabriellaG54 Sat 23-Mar-19 09:56:02

I appear to be one of the few or the only on here who are not on any meds whatsoever and never have been nor any ops.
Pure luck or....diet, outlook?...who knows.

GabriellaG54 Sat 23-Mar-19 09:57:10

Should read 'only one'.

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:05:32

It's genetic Gabriella

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:06:06

And luck

Lazigirl Sat 23-Mar-19 10:14:53

I have noticed that medicines we buy over the counter have been in short supply lately, but not sure whether down to Brexit because this does occur periodically, and internationally when drugs in short supply. However I do think Brexit has caused much worry for those who depend on medication which they could not manage without, or even cope with switching to a similar drug. I know at least two people who are stable on anti psychotic meds who are very worried about this. As far as I know for years GPs have only given a month's supply because they are audited on practice drug spending.

GabriellaG54 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:16:02

Jalima1108
Father died aged 45 (atherosclerosis)
Mother died aged 75, after 3 ops over 10 years from long-sitting standing bowel cancer, so genetics plays no part as paternal GF died aged 44 and maternal GPs died in their 60s/70s after short illnesses.

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:21:00

Genetics do play a part but perhaps you inherited the best genes from each side of the family.
Luck, then?
Although some illnesses can be exacerbated by lifestyle, much cannot be explained about why one person does not develop illness yet another living a seemingly perfect lifestyle does.

maryeliza54 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:25:32

Your post is unbelievable GG but what a shame there isn’t a drug people can take to develop compassion

Chewbacca Sat 23-Mar-19 10:28:06

hmm

icanhandthemback Sat 23-Mar-19 11:15:50

I appear to be one of the few or the only on here who are not on any meds whatsoever and never have been nor any ops.
Pure luck or....diet, outlook?...who knows.

You're right, who knows! Just thank your lucky stars or pat yourself on the back for getting it right GG. grin

MawBroon Sat 23-Mar-19 11:39:52

I appear to be one of the few or the only on here who are not on any meds whatsoever and never have been nor any ops

Likewise, not counting 4 C-sections
Luck not “healthy living” and anyway I reckon Paw more than used up my “share” of the NHS as well as his own sad

Lazigirl Sat 23-Mar-19 11:50:38

More than 90% of those of us over 70 are on prescribed meds. Definitely mostly genetic (evidence based) with some lifestyle and luck thrown in. We can't choose our fore bearers.

maryeliza54 Sat 23-Mar-19 11:52:45

This thread has posts from people concerned about the supply of life saving medicines. I don’t care whether their need springs from genetics, bad luck, lifestyle or outlook ( whatever that might mean). What I do care about is that someone thinks it’s OK to post on here about being the only one not on meds. It’s akin to going on a bereavement thread and asking if you’re the only one on the thread who hadn’t been bereaved.

Gonegirl Sat 23-Mar-19 12:02:47

GabriellaG you say, "Mother died aged 75, after 3 ops over 10 years from long sitting standing bowel cancer".

What does that mean?

maryeliza54 Sat 23-Mar-19 12:05:47

Gone I rather think she thought it was amusing which is what strike throughs are usually used for. If so she was wrong. But then what do I know, only a family whose lives were devastated by bowel cancer.

icanhandthemback Sat 23-Mar-19 12:29:18

I wonder at what point your health woes are your own fault. Is it once you become an adult, when you reach your 50's, 70's? My very active, healthy eating son has managed to damage his back quite significantly. He is congenitally disposed to this type of thing and ironically the key to wellness is by keeping as fit as possible. However, once damaged, repair takes much longer than the norm and IF he can't, he will be forced to take a much more sedentary lifestyle. If he gets bowel cancer, will it be his fault? Now I am starting to worry that he has been completely feckless. confused

Lazigirl Sat 23-Mar-19 15:43:20

I am quite feckless also. I drink alcohol, in moderation, but I know statistically it can increase my risk of breast cancer. I take HRT, another BC risk. I don't take enough exercise, but do some. I sometimes eat cake.......oh dear! I don't have 5 a day, perhaps 3 or 4. I suppose I will die hmm

NoddingGanGan Sun 24-Mar-19 14:23:17

Just to say that diclofenac is still available. My GP tried to move me to Naproxen citing the side effects but it just didn't work for me and my Rheumatologist put me back on Diclofenac and sent a letter to my GP to say that I had to to remain on Diclofenac. That notwithstanding I still get the "Diclofenac side effects talk" from my GP every time I go for a review for my routine blood tests, it's bordering on bullying scaremongering now. Last time I saw my Rheumatologist he said Naproxen also had potentially serious side effects but added that the fact that it's a tenth of the price of Diclofenac might also have something to do with it. hmm

Jalima1108 Sun 24-Mar-19 14:41:31

Our GP practice refuses to prescribe either diclofenac or Naproxen except under extreme circumstances and then for only 2 weeks.

Jalima1108 Sun 24-Mar-19 14:43:36

maryeliza I agree with you.
Smugness sometimes comes before a fall.

Jalima1108 Sun 24-Mar-19 14:49:29

I wonder at what point your health woes are your own fault
Generally not icanhandthemback
Someone who smokes and refuses to give up, knowing the risks, may develop lung cancer - or may not in fact. However, the chances are higher than for someone else who may develop lung cancer having never smoked.

Obesity can cause diabetes - but not everyone will become diabetic and other people develop it who have remained slim and fit.

Someone could have every contra-indication to developing a certain type of cancer but still get it.

Much is arbitrary, due to working conditions, location, genetics and many other factors.

I hope your son's back improves soon; my DC is nursing a self-inflicted (sports) injury!

icanhandthemback Sun 24-Mar-19 16:22:26

This is why my daughter is so worried, Jalima1108 and NoddingGanGan. Each surgery has different approaches. She can’t take anything by mouth if it is for anti-inflammatory purposes. I suspect Naproxen suppositories will be as expensive as the other alternative.

GabriellaG54 Mon 25-Mar-19 17:25:20

Gonegirl
Mother, apart from going to work (very local to her) led a very sedentary life after my dad died.
She rarely went out and, apart from walking my youngest brother to school (which was where she worked) she preferred to stay in as much as possible. That became more evident when he left home to travel.
Bowel/colon cancer can be exacerbated by not getting enough exercise. Mum also neglected to eat a varied diet.
That is why I called it 'long 'sitting' in place of 'long standing'. Long standing means something that has been going on for a long time. Mum had been sitting far too much.

As for Maryeliza54 having her 2 cents worth about my family situation.
I can say what I like.

Gonegirl Mon 25-Mar-19 17:45:11

Seems a little bit mean to blame your mum for her bowel cancer. You can't be sure that her not going out much, caused the disease.

Just surprised you would put that on a forum tbh.