Gransnet forums

Health

Felt very rushed at the Optitions (well known branch)

(41 Posts)
bikergran Thu 04-Apr-19 10:19:05

Booked online app at Optitions was overdue etc.

App was 11-35 young man came and took my details so far so good.
Then I had to hang around for at least 30 mins ok yes they were busy.

Went in the little room to have my eye test.

Took my glasses asked what I could read without glasses etc.
Then proceeded to ask me various questions at a rapid past hardly giving me chance to answer the last question, at one point I had to ask her to repeat herself as she was going that fast I couldn't make out what she said.

A I was going through the motions it was difficult to see through the machines lenses I think they were steaming up (like your glasses do)

She was so quick fire "Is this clear"? "is that clear" "worse ? better. worse better"?? I hadn't time to think!

Those of you that have had an eye test will know that it messes with your eyes and when looking at the green/red things and the blurring that occurs it takes little time for your eyes to adjust and your not alway sure if the 1 letter was clear or the second etc etc .

I told her about a new medication that I had been put on which can cause pressure in the eye(she really didn't take it on board or never said anything)

Also I know my eyes have changed over the 3 years as I cannot see the tv as clear, the optition said they hadn't changed" which I am a bit confused as I have wore glasses all my life and every eye test my eyes have changed.

I was barely in the little room 10 mins and that included looking in my eye etc.

Anyone else felt like they had been rushed on a conveyor belt.

Of course it was a free eye test but I am considering going to another and will have to pay which Im not bothered about but!.

Jane10 Thu 04-Apr-19 10:23:33

Sounds familiar. I was told to stop asking questions during my eye test!
That was by the qualified optician. The sales staff were very nice and helpful afterwards. However, despite all the adverts regarding price, somehow the glasses always seem to cost double the price. Maybe I shouldn't have gone to Specsavers oops that optician?!

Tuppnce Thu 04-Apr-19 10:23:39

No way - my last eye test (Free) took nearly an hour including glaucoma testing, retinal imaging, a very lengthy and meticulous eye examination, detailed testing with the letters and a general discussion about eye health, photochromic lenses etc.
The optician I go to is an independent one and well known locally for their excellent care.
I think you have grounds for complaint.

Charleygirl5 Thu 04-Apr-19 10:25:49

I have been going to a "one man band" for the last 30+ years. He takes time and I am frequently in the room for over an hour. He often runs late but I do not mind because I know I get superb service. I do not believe in going to the well known opticians because they have to follow a strict timetable.

Gonegirl Thu 04-Apr-19 10:32:11

I would never go to that particular optician again ( the one jane10 crossed out). It took them several attempts to get my prescription right. I had to go back three or four times. I go to Tesco now. They have got Vision Express there. Much better.

Definitely complain. And have another eye test to be sure.

bikergran Thu 04-Apr-19 10:32:21

Yes my mum (as she has eye problems) goes to an independant one, she like you is often in for well over half an hour)

The only reason I dont go to the independant ones is, their glasses are so expensive and I just cannot afford £100s of £s.

Ive never had a problem with these optitions, used them for as long as I can remember. But this is the very worst eye test I have had, I am just putting a few pointers on paper and going to ring them up.

Gonegirl Thu 04-Apr-19 10:35:25

You can have an eye test somewhere else and then go to Sp- to buy the glasses. Just ask for your prescription only.

bikergran Thu 04-Apr-19 10:40:21

Yes will prob end up doing that, but bit miffed at having to dole out around £20 . Extra expense on my glasses, also apparently because my prescription hasn't changed I don't rec any help/voucher towards any new glasses(both distance and reading) even though I have working tax credit. We shall see hmm

Charleygirl5 Thu 04-Apr-19 10:42:56

Before you do anything I think you should complain because that is not how a professional optician works. Is she qualified?

MiniMoon Thu 04-Apr-19 10:43:29

I've never had anything but excellent service from Sp*******s. Our local branch are always very busy. The last eye test I had there was very thorough, and the optician took care to answer all my questions.
I think you have cause to complain.

bikergran Thu 04-Apr-19 10:45:19

I presume so! hmm its the well known branch (someone has mentioned it further up the thread)
I'm a poor one at complaining but I wear my glasses all the time so they need to be right, cant be faffing around. ok hear goes..!'

bikergran Thu 04-Apr-19 10:46:55

Mini yes I too have always had good service from them, thats why I am a bit taken aback..it was so very rushed, no pleasantries etc no hello.. it was just "take a seat" etc etc never mad eye contact once (sorry for the pun)!

cornergran Thu 04-Apr-19 10:49:03

Eyes are important bikergran. Think I’d have a test elsewhere and then compare the outcomes. You’re worth it smile.

NanaandGrampy Thu 04-Apr-19 10:55:38

I don’t see why you should pay again Bilergran if you’re not happy( and I wouldn’t have been either) go back and ask to be retested by another optician or go to a different branch . They won’t want you to be unhappy I’m sure.

Sparklefizz Thu 04-Apr-19 11:02:42

I had a bad time with B---- a well-known chemist. The test seemed ok except they didn't have as much high tech equipment as V. Ex where I'd been before, but they made me some glasses which I just couldn't see with. I took them back 3 times and they implied I was lying and that I could see through them. It was totally ridiculous. Something was wrong with the prescription.

Eventually they very grudgingly gave me a refund, "as a gesture of goodwill" angry and I returned to V.Ex where I have always had good service.

MamaCaz Thu 04-Apr-19 11:07:25

bikergran

If I were you, I would definitely go back and say that you are not happy.

If you can't see as well as you used to be able to with the same glasses, either the prescription has changed or there is an underlying eye condition, such as macular degeneration or cataracts, and from the short time you were given, I doubt if those possibilities were properly dealt with.

Either way, you need to go back and insist on another test.

Jane10 Thu 04-Apr-19 11:11:41

I had trouble with Boots that other optician as well once. The lenses were lined up wrong with my pupils so I really couldn't see. However, they fixed them eventually. I suppose it's really down to individuals within these corporate businesses.

sodapop Thu 04-Apr-19 12:42:10

I have always had excellent service from 'should have gone to Sp. ...' so much so I have complimented them their courtesy, painstaking exams , helpful attitude. I don't know if it makes any difference which branch you go to. I had poor service from the optician at the well known chemist too.

Liz46 Thu 04-Apr-19 13:18:01

I go to a highly qualified man at a local optician. He is qualified to refer people for cataract operations and check them afterwards whereas the opticians at our Asda can not.

I am naughty. I go to the local optician, get a prescription and take it to Asda. I could probably just manage with Poundland readers but fall over if I try to walk in them so buy cheap varifocals.

Charleygirl5 Thu 04-Apr-19 13:22:41

I know that my optician would go out of business if I took my prescription elsewhere. He is struggling financially because he does spend a lot of time with each patient.

He diagnosed my macular so I will be ever grateful for that.

MamaCaz Thu 04-Apr-19 13:48:42

It's slightly risky anyway, having the test at one place then buying the glasses at another.
If you find that you can't see as well as you should with the new glasses, both places are going to try to insist that the other is at fault, resulting in a lot of hassle, whereas when both are done at the same place, there should never be any problem sorting this type of problem.

mcem Thu 04-Apr-19 14:32:35

With the optician jane didn't mention. I too felt as if I was on a conveyor belt.
With the opticians at the well-known High St chemist, I was comfortable, given time to ask questions and had a very thorough test. Exemplary service including spotting an issue at a test a year or two after cataract surgery with immediate reference back to hospital opthalmology dept.

Gonegirl Thu 04-Apr-19 14:48:21

That is very true Mamacaz. Perhaps only buy a second pair, if you want that, at a different place

FlexibleFriend Thu 04-Apr-19 15:12:09

I use an independent and have never felt rushed, although I did comment to the receptionist that I thought he had the hump about something. She just said he can be a moody git and apart from that I think he's excellent. I order my prescription contacts from him and then get them on line and specs I get for peanuts online too.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 04-Apr-19 15:15:27

I haven't been rushed that badly but I would suggest taking your custom elsewhere.
DH once said that at a well-known High Street chemist he felt like he 'was a unit to be processed' rather then a human being.