Gransnet forums

Health

Could this be cellulitis in the hand?

(16 Posts)
moores Mon 15-Apr-19 22:31:44

DH broke his humerus bone just over three weeks ago. I wrote a post a week ago and had lots of helpful replies. He was advised to start physio last week but unfortunately the physio was on holiday so they suggested the osteopath for two appointments before physio returned today. Last one with the osteo resulted in extreme pain and he found he couldn't make a fist with his hand as it was too swollen and painful. The physio today did say she would have started with gentle exercises. Think the osteo was a bit more gung ho.
At today's appointment I think the physio was very surprised at the amount of swelling, advised ice and elevated the sling as she said we had it too low. She said keep an eye on the swelling and if it hasn't gone down in two days see the GP as it could be cellulitis. I'm panicking now and will be hitting the phone at 8.00 am and hopefully getting an appointment tomorrow. He doesn't appear to have a temperature but his hand is quite swollen and hot. I've heard of cellulitis in the legs but not in the hands.

Any advice would be great.

BlueBelle Mon 15-Apr-19 22:40:55

I ve had cellulitis in my leg from a tiny tiny scratch on my toe my daughter had it in her arm from a weeny spider bite on her wrist
Is it very red? my doctor drew a felt tip circle round the redness and told me to go back if it spread and put me on antibiotics by the next morning the redness had spread a lot and gone blue in places back to doctor who drew a further line Next morning it was half way up my thigh and it was off to A and E for a anti biotic infusion
So in answer I think you can get it in arms so maybe hands I thought the skin was usually punctured but I may be wrong
Definitely a call tomorrow I would think
I don’t think I had a temperature

MawBroonsback Mon 15-Apr-19 22:47:27

DH had cellulitis in one arm one years back. He walked with two sticks and of course weight/load bearing was incredibly hard, and he was very incapacitated.
See a Dr ASAP and do not let them fob you off as if it is cellulitis antibiotic treatment might be needed as a matter of urgency.

MawBroonsback Mon 15-Apr-19 22:48:03

“Some years back”

sharon103 Mon 15-Apr-19 22:54:57

Sorry, I don't know how to post links but if you type Cellulitis on Google you will see an image of infected hand on the first post. My brother has had it in his legs; he's diabetic and has was treated with antibiotics. Elevation of the leg/hand helps drain it.
Cellulitis usually only affects one side of the body, such as one hand or one leg. The first symptoms of cellulitis are redness, pain, and tenderness over an area of skin. These symptoms are caused both by the bacteria themselves and by the body's attempts to fight the infection.

sharon103 Mon 15-Apr-19 22:56:51

Oops, meant to say type Cellulitis of the hand on Google

Callistemon Mon 15-Apr-19 23:11:07

Cellulitis may well have a defined line, be hot to the touch and needs antibiotics urgently as it is an infection of the soft tissue.
Usually a two week course of oral antibiotics will be sufficient but if it's not treated promptly and spreads then intravenous antibiotics may be needed.
Don't be fobbed off - insist on an urgent appointment with the GP.

BlueSky Tue 16-Apr-19 09:45:28

Agree with Callistemon, my mother in law suffers with recurrent cellulitis. It can also appear where there has been a previous surgical intervention, in her case her mastectomy scar or the arm on that side. It is 2 weeks strong antibiotics first if it fails it's a hospital admission for IV antibiotics. We asked whether she could be given small regular doses of antibiotics as a prevention as I believe they do in some places but were told this is not the usual practice in the UK.

SalsaQueen Tue 16-Apr-19 10:35:14

Cellulitis can occur anywhere in the body, and if sever and left untreated, can be very serious indeed. The best thing to do is to seek medical advice/treatment, quickly.

Callistemon Tue 16-Apr-19 10:38:57

BlueSky have the lymph nodes been removed from your MIL's arm? That will mean that infection is not so easily carried away so even a small scratch or insect bite could start it off again. Some GPs will prescribe one week's course of antibiotics for the patient to keep on standby to start taking at the first sign of cellulitis.

BlueSky Tue 16-Apr-19 10:53:33

Yes Callistemon the lymph nodes have been removed so that would explain it. Worth asking the GP about the week's course of antibiotics, thanks for the advice.

moores Tue 16-Apr-19 15:22:27

Just an update. Managed to get a GP appointment this morning which in itself is a miracle. Told GP whole history of fracture etc. She wasn't convinced it was cellulitis but said she'd give him a prescription for antibiotics "just in case". She altered the sling so that his arm is held higher as she thinks its the bruising coming down from where he fractured the top end of his arm. He's still in quite a lot of pain, poor thing. He was also given Gabapentin ten days ago for sciatica and I was wondering whether that could cause swelling but having googled it can't see it on the list of side effects. Must say its made his thinking very slow so don't think we'll be increasing the dose. Thanks for all your helpful posts.

Callistemon Tue 16-Apr-19 16:59:18

I would have thought that three weeks after a break is very early to start physiotherapy and wonder who advised seeing an osteopath so soon?
When my friend fractured her humerus she was put in a plaster cast for eight weeks.

Let's hope it settles down again and it could be bruising but at least he has the antibiotics just in case.

moores Tue 16-Apr-19 17:32:00

Yes, actually I'm a bit cross re the osteopath as the consultant has specifically requested physio. We have private insurance, the physio was away and I think the clinic didn't want to lose money. The physio is now back and she is lovely. DH has seen her for back problems in the past. Apparently they like you to start physio quite early on so you have the best chance of regaining the range of movement.

Callistemon Tue 16-Apr-19 17:32:48

Are they sure the bone has set already then?

moores Tue 16-Apr-19 19:54:31

Yes, luckily. He had a CT scan 10 days post fracture and this showed callus forming which is good news.