Gransnet forums

Health

IBS anyone?

(12 Posts)
CazB Tue 16-Apr-19 12:08:01

I've had mild IBS for some years, but it has become much worse in the last few months. I take Buscopan when necessary and am careful with my diet. Has anyone else found their IBS has got worse as they get older? I'm 70 and soon to go to a Greek island for a week, and am hoping it won't spoil the holiday.

Kerenhappuch Tue 16-Apr-19 12:18:21

Yes - I've had bouts of IBS since I was in my thirties, but in the last few years it's been more painful and intrusive. I was recently referred to a gynaecologist after severe pain which my GP thought might be from an ovary (despite me being allegedly 'too old' for ovarian problems!) but after thorough investigation the gynaecologist said the pain was probably part of my IBS.

I've found my GPs are not really interested in my IBS unless the symptoms could be coming from something more life-threatening, like bowel cancer, ovarian cysts etc. So I have got into the habit of taking Immodium Instants with me everywhere, in case of a sudden emergency, and not eating anything on mornings when I need to be straight out of the house, in case this sets off an attack. I find this really limiting.

It must be quite a common problem when you look at the number of laxatives and diarrhoea remedies whose ads target us 'older women'!

GracesGranMK3 Tue 16-Apr-19 12:41:47

I had IBS for upward of 20 years and it was treated with various things and then my GP put me on the Low Fodmap Diet. You can read about it here: www.monashfodmap.com/

The research is pretty recent so it helps to find a GP and dietitian who know about it but you can do it on your own. The first phase is basically a exclusion diet when you bring everything down to the basic "can have" list. After that you can try and add foods you may be able to eat in small quantaties back in to find what works and what doesn't. You are looking to remove all the short chain carbohydrates from your diet. These are sugars your gut does not properly digest. The link I have put in is to the university that did the research but there are other sites - just remember the usual caveats about the internet.

I am now very careful not to eat certain fruits, vegetables etc., (fructose) - all the things I though were doing me good! My main exclusions and the ones when I am trying to screen out any problems when eating out are wheat, lactose, onions and garlic. I carry lactose free milk with me as it is nice to be normal smile

I have been on it for over two years now and life in sooooo much better. If I do have an "event" I can even use the foods, now I have got to know how they react, to balance my gut. You do have to be fairly committed but I can't think of the last time I had the dreaded painful spasms - it must have been in the re-introduction period with a food I should not eat. The other great thing is my energy levels have increased and the brain fog that can go with IBS is pretty much history too.

ninathenana Tue 16-Apr-19 12:56:22

I too carry a generic version of Immodium with me at all times, if I have to leave the house early I only have toast for breakfast. If I'm going on a journey of more than half an hr. I take the tablets as a precaution.
I'm not sure if mine is IBS as I don't always get the awful cramps that are associated
I usually manage about 7 days without problems. The only thing I've cut out is peanuts and citrus fruit.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 16-Apr-19 13:09:58

Look at the FODMAP list ninathenana. Citrus fruit aren't bad although I can only manage half an orange. I use lemon-juice in dressings quite happily.

Not everyone gets cramps. It's worth going to you doctor who will test you for anything else it could be. I would be wary of guessing at the foods that make you ill.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 16-Apr-19 13:13:04

This gives a red list of foods to avoid and then scroll down to a green list of okay foods.

www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

jogginggirl Tue 16-Apr-19 15:36:25

Everything GGMK3 has said. The FODMAP eating plan has changed my life ☺️ I still have the occasional flare-up but I usually know what has caused it now. I still carry Imodium when travelling ?

B9exchange Tue 16-Apr-19 15:39:40

I take prebiotics and probiotics every day, only have about one attack a year now (hastily touching wood!)

Happysexagenarian Tue 30-Apr-19 21:54:12

I've had IBS-D for about 12 years. Initially incidents were very infrequent and I never had stomach cramps. My doctor was sceptical that IBS even existed and said women just weren't careful enough about what they ate and drank. I have done my best to manage it with Imodium and Buscopan. Over the last 7 years (I'm now 68) it has become more frequent and now I sometimes get mild stomach cramps. I explored the FODMAP diet but if I cut out most of the foods suggested I'd starve! I do take a probiotic every day but it's difficult to say whether it has any effect. Last year I eliminated wheat, lactose, some dairy and alcohol from my diet and I've noticed a definite reduction in acid reflex. I also suffer from chronic Sinusitis and Asthma (diagnosed shortly before the IBS) and I'm convinced there is a connection between the three conditions. I believe some research has been done into the coincidence of this. I often have sinus and chest infections and have to take antibiotics and steroids and these really don't help with the IBS. Many people think IBS is just a stomach upset but it is SO much more, horribly restrictive and embarrassing. The shortest journey has to be planned and prepared for and I can never really relax when I'm away from home. A lot more research needs to be done to find effective treatments. Until then I'll take out shares in Imodium and protective underwear and struggle on!

crazyH Tue 30-Apr-19 22:10:41

About 10 years ago, during a very stressful period of my life, I had awful bouts of IBS. The worst part of the condition, was the build up of 'gas' resulting in excruciating pain, bloated, distended stomach. I remember thinking my stomach would burst. I started an elimination diet, and found that lentils and spicy food were the culprits. I avoided lentils altogether and cut down on spices. My IBS bouts were few and far between ....and now, it's a thing of the past. I am slowly introducing the culprits .....so far, so good.

Chewbacca Tue 30-Apr-19 22:54:19

I started with IBS about 10 years ago, during a particularly stressful period at work. I didn't have cramping pains but the lower left side of my stomach felt like it had a lead weight in it and I was very bloated and distended. Even after the period of stress had eased, I still had flare ups and had to take Fybrogel with mebeverine every day and that, with probiotic supplements and drinking only peppermint tea, usually helped the most. It's been a few months since the last flare up, so seems to be working.

Bigred18 Wed 01-May-19 01:53:43

I have IBS and find the Fodmap list so helpful. Also Iberigast has a great calming effect - I don't know whats worse, the runs or constipation! Movicol for the latter and I've found recently that 6 Metamucil fibre capsules a day work wonders.