Gransnet forums

Health

Cutting out Omeprazole

(68 Posts)
Aglassofroseplease Wed 17-Apr-19 19:32:45

Hi remember me? I was about to have an endoscopy as I was struggling with swallowing and reflux etc. It was an inflamed oesophagus and an ulcer plus a hiatus hernia. I was put on 40mg Omeprazole daily and I changed my diet cutting out carbs and processed foods. I went for a endoscopy last week and it’s cleared up!! My oesophagus was a healthy pink. Ive just got a HH and I was discharged from the hospital. The consultant thought whatever I’d been doing (diet, etc) had helped clear it all up.
I went to my GP today to get advice on my HH and keeping GORD etc at bay. He told me to keep doing what I’ve been doing and cut out Omeprazole- I’ve 4 20mg pills left, I’ll take 1 for 4 days - I asked about a return of symptoms if I stop the pills and he replied we’ll put you on them again.
I’m a bit scared of dropping the Omeprazole just like that having been feeling so well. Has anyone else done it like this? Should I ask for a prescription for use as a stand-by. A friend who’s been prescribed Omeprazole only takes them as and when - l want to be off them and I thought it might have been a phased reduction
Has anyone got any advice? Or reassurance?

Sparklefizz Thu 18-Apr-19 17:47:13

Nonnie Thumbs down to your GP for scaremongering. As I'm sure he knows but didn't bother to say - too much acid over a period of time can lead in a few cases to Barretts Oesophagus ..... and Barretts Oesophagus can lead in a few cases to cancer. The key phrase is "in a few cases". If it automatically led to cancer, then that would be the leading cause of cancer in the world .... and it's not.

If you understand how the digestive system works and why we have stomach acid in the first place (because we need it), then it becomes obvious that we should not get rid of it altogether, but keep it in balance if it gets out of hand.

But anyway, far be it from me to suggest anyone stops taking a drug, whether longterm use is harmful (which has been pointed out in an earlier post above by someone else) or not. Each of us has to find our own way and take our own risks, and I take personal responsibility for my health and research everything before I take it, drugs included. I was on the verge of a stroke caused by a drug prescribed in far too high a dose by my previous GP, so I know only too well that doctors can make mistakes, and I check everything.

I am just trying to help by suggesting an alternative. If people don't want to try it when it has no side effects, then that is their choice.

GoneGirl :

Natrum Phos:
Natrum Phosphoricum 6X. Natrum Phosphoricum (Phosphate of Sodium) is a homeopathic remedy to help relieve acid indigestion, sour stomach, throat inflammation, and the sensation of a lump in the throat, vomiting, flatulence, and colic. Natrum Phos. ... For the relief of sour stomach or acid indigestion.

NanTheWiser Thu 18-Apr-19 17:54:50

Good post, Sparkle and very true.

NanTheWiser Thu 18-Apr-19 18:02:49

A couple of more reports on the dangers of prolonged PPI use:
www.uspharmacist.com/article/proton-pump-inhibitors-considerations-with-longterm-use

and:
www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/long-term-use-of-drugs-to-curb-acid-reflux-linked-to-doubling-in-stomach-cancer-risk/

Joyfulnanna Thu 18-Apr-19 21:16:49

I'd like to try homeopathy but I'm happy on my lanzaprole (I think that's how it's spelled). Acid reflux is frightening. I don't know what causes it.. Perhaps it's more common with increasing age. I belch alot but its not uncomfortable, just loud!! I went gluten, dairy and tomato/orange 'free' and felt much better. Its so hard restricting your diet but I guess it's the only way

Willow500 Fri 19-Apr-19 06:12:24

Sparklefizz I will pass on your recommendation to my hairdresser/friend who suffers with acid reflux horrendously (as I am told every time I get my hair done grin) She's tried all sorts and also doesn't like taking the prescribed medication for too long.

midgey Fri 19-Apr-19 08:34:10

I stopped taking Omeprazole because it made me feel so ill, I felt like a very old woman instead of a seventy year old! Within days I started to feel better. I spoke to the pharmacist and he told me his mother had said the same thing!

Sparklefizz Fri 19-Apr-19 09:13:54

Willow500 I have PM'd you with a link to a stockist.

Alexa Fri 19-Apr-19 09:35:59

I tried to stop Omeprazole and the reflux returned .

Ranitidine gives me nausea. NanTheWiser,is there a way to take Ranitidine so it doesn't cause nausea?

I now have a polyp at the top of my gullet : Omeprazole related?

Besides Omeprazole I find that it helps with reflux to take small meals and , instead of no eating in late evening, to have a little of something easy to digest such as a small porridge or an egg.

Can the local pharmacist advise on the question of Omeprazole?

Aglassofroseplease Fri 19-Apr-19 09:39:36

Thanks for your advice. I’m one day into my reducing Omeprazole plan - it’s early days. I woke early worrying about it - not a good sign!! But I’m fine - no symptoms as yet.
Thanks for all the advice on alternatives and the links to articles Sparkle and Nanthewiser . I’m someone who will always try and find my own way of healing myself - although prescribed medication is very necessary for people, I will choose the alternative route. This is good although a bit scary articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2018/01/03/acid-reflux-may-respond-better-to-foods.aspx
I’ve been taking turmeric, ginger, aloe vera capsules as well as lots of live yogurt and kefir.
Sparkle That’s useful and I’ll certainly look into that. I used to give my dog homeopathic treatment for a skin allergy to grass seed - the vet was doling out steroids which only worked for a while and cost ££££s. Mine cost under a £5 and worked long term

Countrylife Fri 19-Apr-19 09:41:38

Omeprazole is amazing with all the meds I take for chronic arthritic pain, asthma etc it has stopped the oesophageal problems. My mum was seriously ill a year ago due to the same problems and the Omeprazole and months of care have solved her excruciating pain. Why stop them. There had to be a reason for your problem and if that still exists I’d be wary of allowing that to take over again. It depends on how your relationship is with your GP, do you trust him/her?

Alexa Fri 19-Apr-19 09:46:34

Gonegirl, reading all these interesting posts has made me think again about strict dieting. I imagine that oatmeal may be good for stopping excess acid.

I already use Oatly instead of milk and intend to take a lot more porridge instead of bread .

Aglassofroseplease Fri 19-Apr-19 09:51:00

Ps I’ve only been on Omeprazole for two months at 40 mg a day so it’s going to be easier for me to reduce them than someone who’s been on them for much longer. Also I’m glad my GP practice don’t advocate the long term use of pills unnecessarily. I’ve seen this with my mum whereby I’ve had to go through a long list of her medications including antidepressants that the doc had given her after my dad died and she was still being given 15 years later that the doc said it would be hard to wean her off now.

Sparklefizz Fri 19-Apr-19 09:52:31

Aglassofroseplease Dr Mercola speaks a great deal of sense. I subscribe to his newsletters. If everyone read them, they would find other ways to control their oesophageal problems and would understand why there is the need for caution with Omeprazole and other PPIs.

JanaNana Fri 19-Apr-19 10:37:05

I take these for a leaky gut which caused severe acid reflux, I was convinced that I had got an HH, but an x-ray showed it not so. Reading the leaflet they do come in lower doses so perhaps you could ask if you could go onto the lowest strength 10mg for a while and then come off them and see how you get on. I am on 20mg and have tried taking on alternate days and adjusting my diet, some days it works and others not.

NanTheWiser Fri 19-Apr-19 17:34:07

Something else to consider - as we age, our bodies are less efficient than when we were younger, and digestion often leaves a lot to be desired. Apparently, we produce less stomach acid in old age, so reducing it even further with PPIs seems to be contradictory. Guess what? the symptoms of too little acid are the same as too much - acid reflux, indigestion and bloating.
There are a number of home remedies to help with acid reflux - ginger tea helps, as does bicarb of soda in a glass of water, and Apple Cider Vinegar (raw, with the 'mother') is a very old remedy, but don't drink it neat! It must be diluted and sweetened if you must.
Just a few more ideas...

NanTheWiser Fri 19-Apr-19 17:37:18

...forgot to add, that High carb foods (bread, potatoes, rice, pasta etc.) are notorious for acid reflux, due to the undigested sugars they produce, so reducing these in the diet would help.
I went low-carb 3 years ago, after having horrendous bloating and reflux, and the relief was almost instantaneous.

Sparklefizz Fri 19-Apr-19 18:21:50

NanTheWiser I totally agree with what you've advised. We are on the same wavelength.

Aglassofroseplease Fri 19-Apr-19 21:24:23

Me too ! ?

Alexa Sat 20-Apr-19 11:22:37

NonThe Wiser in view of what you recommend about foods and ginger tea and so on, do you think that a bland food such as egg or white of egg would help with acid reflux?

Also, do you know of any other really bland foods?

Alexa Sat 20-Apr-19 11:23:13

My bad! NanTheWiser. sp.

NanTheWiser Sat 20-Apr-19 12:19:07

I don't think you really need to eat bland foods, Alexa, but cutting carbs definitely helps. Some people find that acidic foods such as tomatoes, coffee, etc., aggravate, it's really trial and error.

Aglassofroseplease Sat 20-Apr-19 14:29:44

Alexa this is the advice I was given by the hospital:

Eat smaller more regular meals
Don’t miss meals
Chew properly and relax
Dont drink with a meal
Don’t eat heavy large meals
Don’t eat highly spiced acidic foods
Keep a food and symptom diary
Reduce weight if need to

I try to follow a low carb/ no over processed food/ Mediterranean diet
I found Michel Moselys books useful, especially the blood sugar diet and the clever guts diet book- if you problems go all the way through your digestive system. There’s also websites for both plans

NanTheWiser Sat 20-Apr-19 18:11:27

I've just read this: www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/long-term-use-of-drugs-to-curb-acid-reflux-linked-to-doubling-in-stomach-cancer-risk/
Another reason to avoid PPIs...

grannyactivist Sun 21-Apr-19 01:49:48

When I cut out sugar on a high fat, low carb diet I was able to stop taking Omeprazole altogether, but sadly I 'fell off the wagon' with the diet and am now back on the them. I find the opposite to Gonegirl, that bread makes my symptoms worse.

Aglassofroseplease Sun 28-Apr-19 20:47:28

Hi all. It’s me again needing some help. I feel selfish asking for it when I read on here of the illnesses, bereavements, and stresses that some of you are going through.

It’s just over a week since I stopped taking omeprazole as, you’ll see from my earlier post, and I’d been congratulating myself on how well I was doing with no sign of rebound symptoms (just a bit of indigestion occasionally) until this weekend and I’m full of wind, indigestion, bloated and burping. I’ve had 4 gaviscon tablets just today and I’ll have another one before I go to bed. I’m being careful with what I eat as well. I want to keep off the omeprazole if I can.
Does anyone know if this is rebound from omeprazole, and if so how long will it go on for? What can I do to help myself? Thanks in advance ?