Gransnet forums

Health

Leg wound that won’t heal

(13 Posts)
gillyknits Sun 21-Apr-19 09:53:38

I think this was discussed a long time ago and I wondered if anyone had anything new to add.
I cut my leg rather badly about nine weeks ago and most of the wound healed except for a one penny sized piece at the end. I am having it compression dressed twice a week and it is now treated as an ulcer.
They put iodine based dressings on it each week but no other treatment. I am going on holiday in a couple of months and want it gone by then. Getting fed up with bandages too, as I can’t get my shoe on and have to wear adjustable sandals all the time.

Teetime Sun 21-Apr-19 09:59:44

gilly good nutrition is important for wound healing. I would make sure I was getting enough Vitamin C, protein and zinc and of course keep well hydrated. With leg ulcer dressings the compression is more important in many ways than what is put on the wound as its all about good circulation. Unfortunately they can take a while to get better. I would think you have already been advised to sit with your legs higher than your hips and raise the end of the bed if you can.I hope it heals soon for you.

BradfordLass72 Mon 22-Apr-19 05:11:53

Have you access to a Hyperbaric Chamber?
My friend, also with ulcers which were not healing went for this treatment (you simply sit in a room with extra oxygen) and they healed very quickly.

www.ukhyperbaric.com
hyperbaricoxygentherapy.co.uk/

SueH49 Mon 22-Apr-19 05:38:50

You could try either medical grade manuka honey or paw paw ointment. Both are excellent for healing wounds.

BlueBelle Mon 22-Apr-19 05:43:51

Definitely Honey I m surprised the nurse hasn’t tried this it’s a great healer

stella1949 Mon 22-Apr-19 06:24:59

Taking high-dose Vit C and Zinc can be very helpful. I've seen it work wonders.

Teetime Mon 22-Apr-19 09:11:32

I think that the nurse wont have used honey as they have to use products from an approved list of research based treatments (the formulary). There may also be as there was in my area a carefully audited treatment plan for leg ulcers.

Happiyogi Mon 22-Apr-19 09:44:45

My mother had a leg ulcer some years ago. Initially I gave her Manuka honey to dress it with. I suggested she ask the nurse about it, and they supplied it on prescription.

Squiffy Mon 22-Apr-19 10:20:03

My DM always used strong saline, which worked better for her than any meds. She also allowed the air to get to it whenever safe to do so.

NanaandGrampy Mon 22-Apr-19 12:01:17

I’m another one who would recommend Manuka honey. I had huge success with weeping persistent tears on thinning skin.

gillyknits Mon 22-Apr-19 13:33:59

I did ask about honey but the nurse said it might be too abrasive, as I have skin like tissue paper.

Fernbergien Mon 22-Apr-19 13:44:04

My friend a nursing sister always used honey.

aggie Mon 22-Apr-19 13:54:07

Our District Nurse uses honey dressings , they are on prescription