Gransnet forums

Health

Knee replacement criteria

(32 Posts)
notentirelyallhere Fri 26-Apr-19 21:39:10

Would Gransnetters be kind enough to tell me how bad their knees were before they had replacement knees inserted.

My GP told me today that the criteria is 'severe pain'. I've been active and sporty all my life but now one knee especially pains me a lot. I can't walk more than a couple of miles at the least and pay the price in pain and stiffness. Running, even a few feet, is out of the question. I can't kneel anymore and I've just had a fall which injured my foot badly because I tripped and my knee gave way.

The GP stared stonily at me throughout and said physiotherapy and focused exercise was the recommended treatment now. Any comments? Thank you.

jura2 Mon 06-May-19 20:34:39

When the surgeon assessed me- he said no MRI would make any difference to the outcome, as my kne was clearly cream-crackered. He only took X-rays a few days before the op.

He said it was urgent as I had been bone on bone for so long- I was at risk of fusing. I had been told in UK I should wait until I was 65 - but he said in his eyes it was the wrong advice, and that I should have had it done many years earlier.

BradfordLass72 Tue 07-May-19 04:12:15

I had an X-ray of my very painful knee that showed it was bone on bone. However, whilst waiting for the operation, two things happened.

1. I started taking MSM capsules

2. Everyone I met told me not to have the op if there was any alternative at all.

Four months later when I was called to speak to surgeon and anaesthetist pre-op, I told them there was very little pain now despite the X-Rays showing no cartilage.

They said, 'Shall we go by your symptoms rather than this X-ray? If you start having pain, ring us and we'll put you back on the list.'

That was 4 years ago and I still have no pain and am still taking MSM and swimming twice a week.

Jane10 Tue 07-May-19 14:29:02

I left it a bit too long before going to see about my knee the first time. By then, as I was bone on bone, I'd begun to develop bony protruberances from the bone ends. These were grating against each other. No surprise as to why my knees were so sore. I'd just got used to it. Ridiculous on looking back at it but it just crept up gradually until I was really in trouble. Don't leave it too long!

Charleygirl5 Tue 07-May-19 14:31:05

I agree 100% with Jane

GrannyLiv Tue 07-May-19 21:25:42

Thanks for this Jane10 - funnily enough I have been to see my rheumatologist today about my knee pain. He was asking a lot of the questions on that scale and in his opinion I am not quite ready for replacement knee surgery. Which I was pleased to hear if I'm honest, although on that scale and answering honestly, I am in the category for consideration of a consult with an orthopaedic surgeon. We are going down the route of additional pain relief to see whether getting me to a point where i can exercise again helps with the knee (everywhere else is fine!)

GrannyLiv Tue 07-May-19 21:41:47

notentirelyallhere If you are telling your Dr/consultant that you can walk a couple of miles then I am not surprised that he/she is telling you that you are not a candidate for knee replacement surgery.

I imagine however that you are probably walking through a lot of pain before stopping. If so, this is not good for you.

It took me a long time to realise that 'powering through' does one no favours and that the day after will be hellishly painful. As an ex-dancer it is has been hard to accept that I cannot move freely, but accept it I must. I listen to my body and take a rest at the first sign of joint pain. Sometimes it takes me all day to tidy up the kitchen, other days I can tidy the whole house in an hour. I just do what I can, when I can.

If you can walk a couple of miles, pain free, then rejoice in that and the fact that you don't need the surgery. If you are struggling and pushing yourself with gritted teeth until the pain stops you, then you may need to re-think and have another, more honest, chat with your Dr.

Good luck in any scenario smile