Gransnet forums

Health

Told to come back when I have lost weight!!!

(57 Posts)
Bopeep14 Thu 02-May-19 12:20:20

I am overweight, I know this probably like lots I have yoyo dieted for years, this at the moment is not the issue.
For the last few years I have become increasingly tired feel ill all the time and in pain all over, this is just a summary of how I feel.
I went to my GP a few weeks ago and explained how I was feeling, can't really do much in 10 minutes but I did my best.
Was told every thing could be explained by depression, which I know I am due to family problems at the moment. I have already completed a course of CBT therapy which didn't help. I was on sertraline but came off it because it made the tiredness worse.
The GP ordered blood tests,which I went for the results this morning all normal,except Thyroid function which is borderline, but no medication needed at the moment, it will be retested in 6 months.
Then he went on to say you are a little overweight, I think he was being polite, this could explain a lot of your symptoms as well, lose at least a stone and come back then if you are still feeling unwell.
Does being overweight make people feel unwell, does it make you not to be able to wear a bra because were the straps go feels like it's badly bruised, or my make me feel that my heck can not hold my head because of the pain in my shoulders, I feel the same as well in other areas or like I have cotton wool in my head and constantly feel like I have a cold, and just feel generally lethargic all the time.
It certainly would take more than a 10 minute consultation to tell him all my symptoms.
The thing is this has been steadily getting worse for about 5 years, my last GP told me basically the same thing about it being depression I certainly was not depressed 5 years ago overweight yes but not depressed.
I take paracetamol for the pain but felt I needed something a little stronger he suggested solpadol has any one tried this is it effective?
Sorry for the long post just needed to get it out.
Feeling a little sorry for myself at the moment.

Happychops Fri 17-May-19 18:34:08

My sister was unwell a lot and was always tired, she was also very overweight. I asked if she would like to join in with some exercise classes I was going to, she said she would be embarrassed. I explained that people were more interested in keeping up than what others looked like. We did go, and she loved it and we went regularly. I stopped going and she carried on. She lost weight and admitted that she felt so much better as she wasn’t tired and was eating healthier.It gave her a new lease of life. She also made new friends. Have you anyone you could team up with and try something like that, you never know it might work, and if it doesn’t, go back to the doctors and at least then they would see that you have tried and would have to look at other reasons for your poor health.

Alexa Thu 16-May-19 20:13:35

Bopeep, Are you sleeping long enough? Is your mattress soft and your pillows just right for you? Sleep is very important.

Are you drinking enough water?

BBbevan Thu 16-May-19 18:12:22

My DD needs an operation. Her condition is not life threatening just limiting. She has to get her BMI to around 25 before it will be considered

HildaW Thu 16-May-19 17:22:40

I'm not sure that its just a matter of that bit of extra weight - I found that a lack of exercise had crept up on me. I was feeling very old ladyish. Joints ached, lack of energy, easily took to the sofa and often felt a bit woolly and dim. I gently upped my exercise. Nothing dramatic and with help from people who know. It slowly made a huge difference. There was a gentle weight loss ....but that was almost an after thought. Much more important was a general feeling of wellness and better physical capabilities.
Muscles have been gently strengthened which has the effect of taking wear and tear of joints...so much less creaking and aching. Flexibility improved as has stamina. Non of it is dramatic, there were no boot camps or mad fits of jogging...just gentle targeted stuff that I have built into my day to day.

SalsaQueen Thu 16-May-19 17:10:47

My eldest son had been like that...tired, aches and pains, feeling low, etc. He was prescribed antidepressants, had every test going (blood tests, x-rays, CT scans, etc), and it was decided by the doctor that he has Fibromyalgia. He's been given some physiotherapy exercises to do (much of his pain is in his feet), as well as painkillers. He's not overweight, doesn't smoke, has no other illnesses.

It might be that you've got the same thing, although there isn't a test to determine it.

Try looking at the Fibromyalgia help pages online. x

midgey Thu 16-May-19 16:02:18

The trouble is that ‘normal levels’ of anything are averages... Hope you feel better soon. flowers

SirChenjin Thu 16-May-19 15:48:40

I hope you feel better soon Bopeep flowers

Bopeep14 Thu 16-May-19 15:46:54

Hi all just a quick update been back to the GP says will retest in 3 months for my thyroid. Feel even worse though so i have ordered a vitamin D spray and a vitamin b12 spray, also have cut my calorie intake to a thousand a day, can not carry on like this.

BradfordLass72 Sat 04-May-19 00:10:59

It seems your GP is contravening the NHS Charter which guarantees you respect and dignity.

DO NOT accept anything less.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-nhs-constitution-for-england/the-nhs-constitution-for-england

Lily65 Fri 03-May-19 22:08:36

Danceswith, the studies you mention are connected to obesity which is not the same as being overweight.

In this society where women are judged on their dress size, I should imagine some may feel unhappy about failing to reach the so called perfect size. That doesn't mean being overweight causes depression.

Grannyknot Fri 03-May-19 11:20:39

Everyone has the ability to feel better.

Instead of looking for more medical reasons, I'd have a read of Dr Chatterjee's website:

drchatterjee.com/

Nothing changes until you change it.

Good luck, BoPeep the doctor's comments might just be the start of a whole new you.

leyla Fri 03-May-19 11:06:35

I can't answer your question but I can say that I too am overweight but since January (after being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes) I have started to exercise a lot more, have lost over a stone in weight (dieting and exercise) and I feel so much better. Previously I was always tired and everything ached, now I feel tons better (although still a long way to go).

I was surprised how much better I felt so soon after starting regular exercise. It is really noticeable.

DancesWithOtters Fri 03-May-19 10:54:47

And of course I know thin people can be depressed, one of them was me when I was younger, for which I had 5 years of therapy and anti-depressants.

TerriBull Fri 03-May-19 10:54:26

I am sorry for you Bopeep. I do remember when I first went to the doctor with the symptoms you describe, that was 20 years ago, I was diagnosed with a borderline underactive thyroid. I was completely unaware of such a condition and implications at the time. I do recall feeling so tired everything was a supreme effort the best description I can give, it was like wading through concrete. It wasn't felt by the doctor I saw initially that I required thyroxine, can't remember the exact timeline but on seeing another doctor she decided that I most definitely did need to be taking it, I think I started on 50 mcg but that was gradually increased to 150 mcg. From other forums I've been on relating to under active thyroid, it seems that borderline diagnosis is quite common with some patients who have the symptoms I had and you describe, although as others have outlined there are a raft of other conditions that could be a factor. It doesn't help that an underactive thyroid kicks in for many women around the same time as the menopause so all the associated problems with that sometimes blur the lines. A combination of underactive thyroid and menopausal symptoms definitely saw my size 10/12 figure go up to a 16 sad Haven't read all the posts, but have you been checked for Vitamin D deficiency? very common and also debilitating.

I hope you manage to get to the bottom of why you feel like you do. Good luck with that flowers

DancesWithOtters Fri 03-May-19 10:53:54

Where did I say that thin people can't be depressed?

Many factors can cause depression and illness, one being weight. Which is what this specific thread is about, hence me mentioning it.

But since you asked:

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/11/181112095951.htm

health.usnews.com/conditions/depression/can-obesity-cause-depression

medicalxpress.com/news/2018-11-overweight-depression-health-complications.html

Lily65 Fri 03-May-19 10:39:35

DancesWithOtters, do you have a link for your assertion please?

Guess what....thin people can be depressed.

beamac Fri 03-May-19 10:02:04

I am a firm believer in the old adage that 'It's the squeaking gate that get's the oil. Go back to your GP and keep complaining. As said before, book a double appointment, make a list of all your symptoms and make him realise how poorly you feel. Try and persuade him to give you thyroid medication now on a trial basis. Do try to lose some weight yourself too, not slimming clubs but look at your diet and try to cut out some bread, potatoes, sugary things, it all helps not only with weight but your mood too. One other little thought (I'm not a doctor) = a friend of mine was suffering with various pains and similar symptoms to yours and was diagnosed with polymyalgia. Treatment has helped greatly.

DancesWithOtters Fri 03-May-19 09:56:07

Being overweight can most definitely contribute to depression and feeling unwell and tired.

How much to you weigh Bopeep? Being overweight can in itself cause other health problems, which may start to recede once some of the weight is gone.

Izabella Fri 03-May-19 09:54:11

Some interesting points raised by Anja although I realise this is a very difficult situation for the OP and many will be identifying with her dilemma. I wondered if this may be of help generally

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2007.00311.x

EllenVannin your experience of being referred for an urgent liver/abdominal scan was your GP doing his /her job and following the red letter protocol for urgent referral based on clinical findings. Had he not done so something major and life limiting may have been missed and it would have been judged professionally incompetent. Many times patients referred for a palpable liver edge have no actual symptoms or pain. Its a relief to know all was well with you and that your GP is on the ball.

TwiceAsNice Fri 03-May-19 08:32:30

I would see a different GP. I have found some doctors in my practice much better than others and have last found one who is really listening to me, that’s what you need.

I have lost quite a bit of weight following a low carb diet all of the time and 5-2 800 calorie diet 2 sometimes 3 times a week. I feel much better and have reversed my diabetes which was my intention but I don’t think some of your symptoms are just because you may be overweight don’t wait 6 months go back now.

Anja Fri 03-May-19 07:18:02

I think there is substantial evidence linking being obese to certain illnesses. As far as being ‘overweight’ that depends if you are just a few pounds over or well on the way to obesity.

As far as I’m concerned it would not matter an iota to me what a person weighs except the drain it places on our NHS.

Type 2 diabetes and it’s complicatiid cost the NHS over £1,000,000 an hour for a condition which is largely preventable. That simple is not right.

So well done OP for taking up the suggestion that you lose weight that cannot do any harm and might even help. But, as others have said, it might be worthwhile talking to another GP and getting some clear explanation of your test results and seeing if more are advised.

mokryna Fri 03-May-19 06:49:28

I didn't take any treatment although I have only half of a Thyroid, I used to have blood tests every year, however recently the results were not so good therefore after having a repeat checks and a scan, I was given a low dosage with the warning that I may lose weight. I am not overweight but always trying to shift an extra kilo. I have lost it but I don't really know if it is the treatment or down to me being stricter on what I eat.

Ginny42 Fri 03-May-19 06:19:42

Another six months of feeling there's something wrong? Don't wait, do get another opinion. I once paid to see a consultant after feeling extremely ill and within an hour I walked out with a diagnosis to take back to the Dr. I stepped out of his door thinking Yes! I knew there was something wrong and it has a name!

Menopaws Fri 03-May-19 04:20:06

Don't wait six months, push for an answer now, it could be very simple to change

stella1949 Fri 03-May-19 02:38:31

I don't subscribe to the view that being overweight makes you ill. I'd certainly ask for repeat blood tests if you are feeling depressed and tired all the time. Plenty of people ( me included ) are overweight but feel fine and happy, not tired or in pain. It seems to me that blaming your weight means the doctor doesn't actually have to bother doing anything for you.

I'd get a second opinion, op.