Gransnet forums

Health

Oh no! High pollen count today!

(49 Posts)
Bathsheba Sat 11-May-19 09:28:23

Hay fever has come to me late in life - I've suffered from it only for the last few years. I've tried several over-the-counter medications, but don't find anything really makes any difference.

I checked the pollen count on my phone app, and yep, it's high today. Well I knew that, because I was sneezing as soon as I got up this morning.

Have any fellow sufferers found any remedies that really do help? I've always loved this time of year, but the misery of HF is really taking the edge off it sad

ecci53 Wed 15-May-19 17:14:56

Local honey doesn't help if you are allergic to grass and cereal pollens because bees don't collect pollen from those type of plants.

ecci53 Wed 15-May-19 17:14:04

@Fronkydonkey you can get it from Lloyds Pharmacy for £19.99, that's what I was describing in my post higher up this thread,

Missfoodlove Mon 13-May-19 18:38:42

I have serious hay fever and have suffered for as long as I can remember.
You need to see a GP as OTC medicines really do not hit the spot.
I take Fexofenadine and a nasal spray. These work exceptionally well without any side effects.
Rape seed is my worst trigger, without my drugs I would not be able to function. I can get asthma if I am exposed to too much pollen.
The honey is a myth?.
You will notice a massive difference with proper medication, it does take a few days to kick in though.

grannyj3 Mon 13-May-19 17:36:23

Have you tried local honey? I take a teasoonfull every morning before breakfast. I helps me. But it must be as local as possible. Good luck.

Snowbell Mon 13-May-19 16:51:17

Haymax works for me. You just put a little round your nostrils and it stops the pollen getting in. Non drowsy too!

moggie57 Mon 13-May-19 02:19:07

have you tried not using chemicals in your home. bleach is a starter .its not always outside pollen etc. i have to keep my windows shut esp at dusk. or if the wind is blowing. pets/dust/sprays in the home dont help either. i just take the 49p a box allergy tablets .and they calm my nose down. go see your doctor...ask him for some nose spray...

Legs55 Sun 12-May-19 23:23:29

I'm 62 & have Hay Fever for since mid teens, tree pollen affects me most & I take Fexofadine , use Sodium Conglomicate Eye Drops & Nasonex Nasal Spray, all on prescription. Over the counter anti histamines do nothing for me, prescription only drugs are usually stronger or have added ingredients but many GP's are reluctant to prescribe as many LHAs are trying to cut the medication bills. I moved to a new area 4 years ago, for the first 2 years my GP carried on prescribing Fexofenadine then refused until I'd tried over the counter ones. After a fight I now get prescription again.

This seems to be an exceptionally bad year though even for mehmm

kwest Sun 12-May-19 21:33:33

I always take one certrizine tablet everyday but last year after a whole day of preparing green beans for the freezer, the next morning I woke up looking like Elephant Man. My emergency GP told me to go to the hospital immediately. I did this and was referred back to my GP being told I needed referring to a Dermatologist. My GP was really helpful. He suggested that I take three Certrazine a day when symptoms are difficult. This has changed my life, things are much better this year. He also suggested that I use Aveeno body wash with oats in it and that I should moisturise several times a day with Aveeno moisturiser. He also said don't wear make up until you are completely better and he prescribed a 10% hydrocortizone cream for the ecxema that had flred up with the hayfever. I did as i was told and it all cleared up. Touch wood and everything else I am much better this year.

Bathsheba Sun 12-May-19 21:31:14

Sorry I've not been back to this thread much - I've had an unexpectedly busy weekend, but now have time to catch up! Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I'm going to try vaseline tonight for sure.

I always sleep with the windows shut because of neighbours who tend to congregate in the kitchen, right up to midnight and beyond sometimes, with the door open (just below our bedroom window!)

Much as I think the nightly shower and hair wash is a good idea, I know in reality I wouldn't keep this up - my nighttime routine is already lengthy because of certain other medications I have to take/apply etc, and the thought of having to shower, wash and dry my long hair every night as well is just too much!

I will nip out tomorrow and invest in a nasal spray too.

Oh and yes, the tip about starting to eat local honey before the hay fever season begins - I knew about this but had forgotten (I probably archived the memory because it used not to be relevant!)

So thanks again everyone smile

Peaseblossom Sun 12-May-19 21:14:27

Bathsheba Savers is very cheap for hayfever tablets especially if you get the pack of 30 one a day tablets.

Armynanny Sun 12-May-19 20:13:36

I’m a late starter with hayfever too, 60 this year and only started suffering a couple of years ago. This year being the worse and it started in February. Tried different tablets and they were ok to start with but had a bad bout whilst away a few weeks ago and GP has recommended Citrizine, which at the moment seems to be helping.

I love being outdoors at this time of the year so I’m struggling.

paddyann Sun 12-May-19 19:35:46

My other half used to suffer badly ,we've been known to have home visits from the doctor an dinjections in the middle of the night it was so bad.A homeopath sorted him out ,he got some pillules to take for 3 weeks and was told the symptoms would get worse in the first week which they did after that they cleared up pretty quick.His second and last visit the Homeopath told him to stop eating dairy produce before Easter and to stay off it for the whole HF season .He hasn't had it again..and thats 35 years ago .He does however still have allergies to our cats .Thats a whole other story .

Nanny41 Sun 12-May-19 19:34:12

Loratadine I find is good ,also Cetirizine but that makes me very drowsy,ok it helps me to sleep but I waken feeling as though I have a hangover, also you cant drive after taking Cetirizine so be careful.Dont put clothes outside, sleep with closed windows,not so nice in the summer.Wash hair before going to bed ( I couldnt be bothered doing that) put a small amount of vaselin into your nostrals this should trap some pollen.Sorry run out of ideas,lets hope the pollen count will fall soon.

sarahanew Sun 12-May-19 18:30:52

A spoonful of Manuka honey every morning, but this works best if you start it well before the hay-fever season starts

Fronkydonky Sun 12-May-19 17:54:01

This Hay fever/allergy device totally sorted my daughter’s and brother-in-law’s hay fever out very rapidly. You have to use it religiously three times a day however no medication needed so in the long run it saves a huge amount of cash on over the counter tablets. It sort of de-sensitises the nasal lining by glowing bright red for a few minutes whilst the device is up the nostrils but you can lead your normal life again in a week or so.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 12-May-19 16:57:31

Well, as you have already tried the various antihistamines that can be bought over the counter and found that they do not work for you, you need to talk to your GP.

If whatever he prescribes doesn't work either, I suggest you try acupuncture, it does often work with allergies.

eilys Sun 12-May-19 16:00:50

Only developed hay fever 2 years ago, very bad at the moment have a ventolin inhaler also one with steroids,I have this because I have had Pneumonia twice In 12 months and a collapsed when yolung. All windows closed all the time clothes dried indoors half a cup of white vinegar in final wash,if you go out have a shower and change clothes,seems extreme but they all work also apply Vaseline to nasal cavity traps the pollen, I have been advised to buy air purifiers gp recommending this cost about £75.00 good luck

eGJ Sun 12-May-19 14:30:23

Washing your hair before bed, so you are not breathing in the pollen all night helps and Vaseline in the nose catches pollen before it sets things off!

ecci53 Sun 12-May-19 12:46:35

I take loads of stuff because I am extremely allergic to grass, wheat and barley pollen. It also gives me asthma. I take fexofenadine, montelukast, symbicort inhaler, beconase nasal spay, sodium cromoglicate eye drops. It works really well and I can walk through a field of wheat in the middle of June without getting any symptoms.
I used to work with someone who used a Lloyd's Pharmacy allergy reliever. He said it relieved all his symptoms so well that he no longer needed the medication. I bought one but wasn't convinced enough to stop taking my medication so I don't really know if it's effective. It wa £15 when I bought mine, about 8 years ago.

annodomini Sun 12-May-19 12:37:59

Afterthought: don't hang your bedding out to dry while the pollen count is high!

annodomini Sun 12-May-19 12:36:56

Mine starts with tree pollens as early as February nowadays when the catkins come out. I am officially allergic to birch pollen - my ENT consultant gave me a test! But I notice that when I go out in the garden at the moment my eyes start itching. I have Dymista spray which works well. I haven't had the awful headaches I used to have before it was prescribed. Pollen allergy really does make you feel as if you had flu!

pinkjj27 Sun 12-May-19 12:32:22

it is really bad this year I think its the pollution too today is the anniversary of the death of my DH I spend the morning at the grave but i could hardly see my eyes were running so bad My throat was itching I was sneezing no stop and my chest was very tight . It started very really early this year too. I take antihistamines but they have little effect I also use local honey but again if it helps I dont notice the effects that much.

JanaNana Sun 12-May-19 12:09:48

Beconase nasal spray is really effective. Also shower and hair wash before bedtime removes all the pollen off your hair and skin so you are not breathing in overnight. Loratadine antihistamine tablets are good and also non drowsy.

sazz1 Sun 12-May-19 11:53:12

A shower works wonders to wash away the allergen plus antihistamine cetrazine.

NotSpaghetti Sun 12-May-19 11:30:53

An air filter at night works wonders here.
We use a Blueair Classic as it uses a hospital grade filter. It's brilliant. About the size of an old computer, we still have the window open a bit and it cycles the air several times an hour.
Expensive when new but we bought ours 2nd hand. The filters are also expensive but last a long time.
Good luck!