Gransnet forums

Health

Oh no! High pollen count today!

(48 Posts)
Bathsheba Sat 11-May-19 09:28:23

Hay fever has come to me late in life - I've suffered from it only for the last few years. I've tried several over-the-counter medications, but don't find anything really makes any difference.

I checked the pollen count on my phone app, and yep, it's high today. Well I knew that, because I was sneezing as soon as I got up this morning.

Have any fellow sufferers found any remedies that really do help? I've always loved this time of year, but the misery of HF is really taking the edge off it sad

Pittcity Sat 11-May-19 10:50:09

Don't dry your bedding outdoors. It catches pollen and you sleep on it and wake feeling rotten. Keep the bedroom windows shut too.

Bathsheba Sat 11-May-19 11:14:53

Oh that’s a good point pittcity, though DH will have a good old moan if I use the dryer for my bedding, haha! Well he’ll have to lump it - he doesn’t have HF!

EllanVannin Sat 11-May-19 11:24:44

I think it's to do with our immune systems not being as they used to be. I was never allergic to anything but the Rowan tree blossom near my front door sets me off. I don't take anything as warfarin restricts certain medications so I just sneeze myself to exhaustion pitch sad

To think that mum used to take brother and me through fields of rape to give our immune systems a boost. I'd probably be carted off on a stretcher now.Though it's only certain blossoms/trees. Grass doesn't irritate.

lilihu Sat 11-May-19 11:51:11

It’s worth noting that there are quite a few different over the counter pills that have varying ingredients. I reckon I’ve now tried most! My current choice is a Superdrug “One A Day” Cetirizine hydrochloride. I usually find the twice per day ones offer me little relief.
I’ve recently tried Benadryl Acrivastine and although they worked OK, they only last 8 hours, so I’d find myself sniffling and sneezing whilst away from home.
Antihistamine ingredients can include:
Brompheniramine
Cetirizine
Chlorpheniramine
Clemastine
Diphenhydramine
Fexofenadine
Loratadine
So it’s worth trialling the different ones until you find one that suits. You can also get a prescription but would still have to trial, them. Boots, Superdrug and many others do their own versions which are sometimes half the price of the bog brands.

lilihu Sat 11-May-19 11:52:19

“Big” brands !!

MawBroonsback Sat 11-May-19 11:54:09

I swear by “full fat” Piriton.
Drowsy? Moi? Just resting my eyes!

Liz46 Sat 11-May-19 12:13:41

Pittcity, I hadn't thought of that. My bedding is happily blowing in the garden at the moment. My consultant told me not to take antihistamine because they would dry my lungs out too much.

Bathsheba Sat 11-May-19 14:02:07

I've mostly been using Tesco's brand of Cetirizine or Loratadine. Neither seem to have much impact. I've used Piriton in the past for other issues - prickly heat, nettle rash and so on and for general itchiness (from which I suffer a lot ?). I've been put off by the much higher price as compared to 'own brands', though. Is it really any different Maw?

annodomini Sat 11-May-19 14:55:06

I use fexofenadine and take it at night in case it makes me drowsy though it's supposed not to do that.

Bathsheba Sat 11-May-19 20:45:00

Do you find it helps anno?

Cold Sat 11-May-19 20:50:11

I am really suffering with silver birch pollen here in Sweden and have been using eye drops and nose spray several times a day,

It is a problem that I cannot take the tablets . a few years ago I took some at lunchtime only to wake up at 3pm ... the next day!

Bathsheba Sat 11-May-19 22:39:55

Oh now that is a 'problem' I would love to have once in a while Cold - I generally sleep so badly, it would be wonderful ?

But of course, I do appreciate it is actually a problem - don't mean to appear flippant!

cassandra264 Sun 12-May-19 09:55:09

I got hay fever later in life too. I have a theory it may be linked to air pollution as well as pollen, as I started to get it when the nearby oil refinery was cleaning out their chimneys in January - long before the emergence of any tree or grass pollen. I used not to be able to see when I had it, as my eye lids swelled up and the irritation was severe.
I personally recommend Neoclarityn. But you may need a prescription. Worth the extra bother, though.

Theoddbird Sun 12-May-19 10:00:38

Honey from local hives... a teaspoon a day will help for next year. Your body gets used to the local pollen so you build up immunity to them.

ctussaud Sun 12-May-19 10:23:38

I was about to suggest exactly what Theoddbird Sayed about local honey. You may not find this in the supermarket, but may have to go to local health shops, farmers’ markets
or delis to find it.

Applegran Sun 12-May-19 10:23:49

Some or all of the above may help! I too am a late sufferer from hay fever - my children had it very badly when young and I finally turned to a homeopath. We went to see the homeopath out of the hay fever season and the children had remedies which were meant to be longer term, not just 'first aid'. They improved dramatically next hay fever season - not altogether free of it, but much much better. I know some people think homeopathy doesn't work, but it has worked for my children and for me at other times.

Matriarch Sun 12-May-19 10:53:26

I use a nasal spray ( dymista ) which an ENT consultant recommended and fexofenadine 180mg prescribed by my doctor. I take both all year as I have a dust mite allergy and asthma . Both really help . I developed hay fever I’m my 40s and these are the only medications that have worked properly for me .

quizqueen Sun 12-May-19 10:56:55

My daughter wears some of band on her elbow and I don't hear her complain anywhere near as much about hayfever as she used to. You will have to google it as I have no idea what it's called- I guess it's a pressure point thing.

She had an annual injection for years at the beginning of each season, which helped enormously too, but when she got a new doctor, he refused to let her continue with that treatment.

loopyloo Sun 12-May-19 10:57:34

I use cetirizine. The once a day dose, but buy it cheaply from Tesco or somewhere. The trick is to take it before symptoms really get bad. Take a nasal spray in top if necessary. Don't open your bedroom windows. And wash hair frequently.
And avoid really aggravating it by going out in grass in hot sun.

Hampshirehog Sun 12-May-19 11:08:55

I've had hayfever since I was a child and the only thing which really makes a difference for me is Beconase nasal spray. I also use eye drops which really help to stop them feeling itchy all the time. I can't cope with Piriton as it makes me too drowsy and, although Zirtek is, I think, supposed to be non-drowsy it makes me feel like a zombie!

4allweknow Sun 12-May-19 11:13:42

I have become very sensitive in the past 10 years never having hayfever before then. I use the usual one a day antihistamines, nasal spray and eye drops otherwise I cannot function and feel so tired. I used to laugh at my cousin when we were little as she couldn't tolerate cats, dogs anything hairy or furry and she carried a toilet roll with her for the snotty nose. I now have huge respect for her!

Davida1968 Sun 12-May-19 11:21:45

So glad to see this thread because I thought it was just me.... I rarely suffer from hay fever (just have a few notable days of "extreme snuffle", each summer) but I definitely have it today. My commiserations to all GNs who are snuffling & suffering.

NotSpaghetti Sun 12-May-19 11:30:53

An air filter at night works wonders here.
We use a Blueair Classic as it uses a hospital grade filter. It's brilliant. About the size of an old computer, we still have the window open a bit and it cycles the air several times an hour.
Expensive when new but we bought ours 2nd hand. The filters are also expensive but last a long time.
Good luck!

sazz1 Sun 12-May-19 11:53:12

A shower works wonders to wash away the allergen plus antihistamine cetrazine.