Gransnet forums

Health

Thyroxine and underactive thyroid

(63 Posts)
TerriBull Wed 15-May-19 08:12:17

Apparently there has been a report in the BMJ that suggests that there are no significant benefits in taking Thyroxine although the advice to GPs is that patients should continue taking it.

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid, probably about 20 years ago, I thought Thyroxine would prove to be some sort of silver bullet but I never felt it did much to alleviate my symptoms, particularly tiredness.

I'd be interested to know, if you have this condition, have you found Thyroxine beneficial.

etheltbags1 Sun 26-May-19 21:42:30

Just read the post that says you must take thyroxine 30 mins before eating or drinking. My dd was told that she could take it with breakfast or tea or coffee by her gp. I usually take mine with a cuppa after all isnt tea 99 per cent water. So confusing

Joyfulnanna Sun 26-May-19 23:01:09

GP is wrong unfortunately. Reason you can't take with tea is because it has milk in it maybe herbal tea is okay

Luckylegs Sun 26-May-19 23:01:24

Thanks to this post I’m now getting my tablets ready the night before so I can take them as soon as I wake up, even if I get up to visit the bathroom and then go back to sleep. I’m to have a repeat test in a few weeks so we’ll see if there’s a difference.

janeainsworth Mon 27-May-19 01:40:05

Ethel my GP said tea was ok. His actual words were, ‘just don’t take it with a double espresso’ wink

Pittcity Mon 27-May-19 07:45:33

I put mine into one of the small plastic things with the days of the week on and keep it beside the bed with a glass of water. I take before getting out of bed so that by the time I've used the loo, tidied the bed, gathered up laundry, looked at GN, gone downstairs etc. half an hour has easily passed before I put the kettle on.

Franbern Sun 02-Jun-19 09:27:23

Yes, I was told to take my thyroxine tabs first thing in the morning, with just water at least 30 mins before eating or drinking anything with caffeine. I place these tabs into a small container by my bed with my drinking mug, and usually take them when I first wake up for the morning, then have a good half an hour relax in bed before I get up for brekkie.
There are a lot of meds. that do not work together, and a chat to a pharmacist to review exactly what you are taking and how, will set you in the right direction.
I also take Vit C twice daily, and have to ensure that at least four hours have elapsed from taking my thyroxine tabs before taking one of these.
I also have a once a week Vit C tab which needs to be taken with water well before eating. This does cause me some confusion as to how to work this in with Levothyroxine. So, I now take that when I do one of loo visits during the night.
How and when we take our medication is as important as what it is.

NanKate Sun 02-Jun-19 09:48:49

I think I will follow your advice Fran and take my thyroxine on waking and leaving half an hour till my cuppa.

annodomini Sun 02-Jun-19 10:22:43

I get up and take my tablets and go back to bed for another half-hour (at least) to read or have another little nap.

jura2 Sun 02-Jun-19 12:45:28

Take mine first thing with my early cup of rooïbosch, no caffeine.

Boosgran Sun 02-Jun-19 13:49:59

You could try taking it at bedtime providing you take it on an empty stomach, so an hour after eating, lots of people prefer night time dosing and have said it works better. Plenty of brilliant advice on HealthUnlocked which has a thyroid forum and experts to help and advise.

Jjay22 Sun 02-Jun-19 14:52:38

I was on Levo for years and though my blood test results were fine, I felt awful. Armed with information from tpauk.com I now take natural thyroxine. It was like a light going on in my life! Take a look at their website, it’s full of helpful advice.

Avor2 Sun 02-Jun-19 22:24:34

A good friend of mine is taking it, they have recently upped her dose and she has found that she doesn't want to eat, so has started to lose an enormous amount of weight, she used to be size 12/14 now I think she is about size 8, she is looking like a little old lady! she asked if she could half the dosage, they said no, but she did it herself and she has started to eat again and feels so much better, don't know why they won't half her dose, she will disappear soon !!