Gransnet forums

Health

Nothing but praise for the NHS

(15 Posts)
SisterAct Thu 20-Jun-19 22:35:12

Really pleased everything went well. Make sure you get enough rest at home.

Been visiting a very very ill friend in hospital and very impressed with all but some of the food.

Despite him being so ill, he is polite and tries not to moan or ask for things. The Nurses are runoff their feet. As you said I can’t believe how rude and demanding some patients are.

SalsaQueen Thu 20-Jun-19 19:53:43

That's good to hear, and I'm glad you're ok and recovering well. So many people complain about the NHS, but I reckon it's marvellous.

sodapop Thu 20-Jun-19 17:45:43

So good to hear positive things about the NHS so glad everything went well for you viviness and Fennel hope you both have an uneventful recovery.
I had a hysterectomy over 20 years ago and have never looked back. Good luck to you both.

Fennel Thu 20-Jun-19 16:59:18

I missed this thread when Vividness first posted.
I went into hospital as a day patient for double hernia repair on Tuesday and I was dreading the general anaesthetic too.
Like others I was most impressed with the care I received.
We live in a big town/city and the fairly new surgical unit has 12 operating theatres - amazing. Each with full staff from surgeon onwards.
No complaints at all about the whole thing.
Still in pain, and feeble, but glad it's over. I've been putting it off for years.

annep1 Mon 10-Jun-19 11:34:24

Cornergran when I leave for the airport I leave my folder on the bed and put it away quickly when I return before dh sees it.

Bellanonna Mon 10-Jun-19 09:50:53

That’s really great news
Vividness. I share your fear of anaesthesia and had the same positive experience with the staff as you did. It’s made me less fearful for another time.

Doodle Sun 09-Jun-19 19:25:44

We have minor irritations with the NHS. Appointments cancelled, long times sitting in waiting rooms etc but at the end of the day they have seen my DH through several major problems and have done a brilliant job

BlueSky Sun 09-Jun-19 19:18:04

Yes only praise for our good old NHS! You just try abroad and see, from GPs to outpatients to hospital stays!

cornergran Sun 09-Jun-19 18:55:16

I’m pleased all went well viviness. No, sensible rather than silly to sort things before your operation. I do the same - and before holidays involving a plane or boat which is definitely silly. Wishing you well for your recovery,

MiniMoon Sun 09-Jun-19 18:44:26

I'm so pleased to hear that everything went well, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
At the end of April my husband went on for laparoscopic day surgery to repair a hernia.
He'd never had an anaesthetic before and was very nervous. He left me phone numbers, and instructions about cancelling things!? He wasn't even in hospital all day.

Luckygirl Sun 09-Jun-19 16:08:06

So pleased that the NHS came up trumps for you. Hope your recovery at home is swift.

I remember when my Mum went in to have her varicose veins done when I was about 5, she wrote her will first - that's what I call pessimism!

EllanVannin Sun 09-Jun-19 15:38:01

Well done to you Viviness and hope you get back to your " normal self " soon.
I wouldn't dream of knocking the NHS at all for how they've been in the past as although no operation was involved I was " tied-up " with both arms being attached to a canula one side and a BP monitor the other so had a nurse who sat outside the door of my room at night in case I needed to wee.
I only spent two nights and three days in hospital but the staff and doctors included were kindness itself.

Charleygirl5 Sun 09-Jun-19 15:16:35

When one is seriously ill the NHS is I think the best in the world. It is the aftercare which is sadly lacking now and that was not always the case.

I think that an excellent idea that all your affairs were in order- it is more than I do and I have had major surgery x3 over the last 10 years and I am not getting any younger.

Pleased to hear you have had a very positive experience.

annep1 Sun 09-Jun-19 15:01:51

Viviness that is good to hear ?. Y ou're not silly. Many of us are nervous and also get things in order.
I do remember your post. I'm so glad you are over your op and feeling cheerful. Thanks for posting.
And yes when you manage to get it our NHS treatment and staff are wonderful. I always send a thank you card. Staff are never anything only caring professional and patient.

Viviness Sun 09-Jun-19 14:25:36

Hello, You may remember some time ago I posted a thread that I was scared of going into Hospital for an operation involving a general anaesthetic. Well I have been in, had my hysterectomy, survived and am home. I was so nervous but the staff were brilliant. The anaesthetist kept saying he would look after me and talked to me non stop while setting up the canola and administering the medication. He said :"You're now going to sleep". I didnt get chance to ask him to stop as I woke up in recovery. I am home now and I cannot praise the Consultant and all the staff enough. They are very busy and have some patients who are not so nice but they carry on and provide great care. I did prepare everything before I went in, wrote letters to my sons and got my paperwork in order (feel silly now) and am so happy to be back home and in the land of the living. smile