Gransnet forums

Health

Gabapentin

(8 Posts)
BonnieBlooming Mon 10-Jun-19 13:24:53

I have been prescribed Gabapentin for nerve pain. I am following the advice to gradually increase the dose and currently take 2×300g per day. I have read that it takes a while for the drug to work. Is anyone taking Gabapentin and how long was it before you felt the benefit? I know everyone is different but would love an idea of when I can expect some easing of my pain. Thank you

Cold Mon 10-Jun-19 13:50:58

I never felt any benefit from Gabapentin and suffered an allergic reaction (tongue swelling) when I increased the dose

3dognight Mon 10-Jun-19 13:57:23

My husband took it for a bad case of shingles. It was about four or five days before the benefits kicked in.

Strangely, my vet put my three legged dog on it, and it was about the same for her.

BlueSky Mon 10-Jun-19 14:31:45

My mother in law swears by it. It was the only drug that allowed her to walk as she was riddled with arthritis and osteoporosis. Not sure how long it took but for her it's better than morphine.

Cherrytree59 Mon 10-Jun-19 16:12:50

I take pregabalin (same family asGabapentin) for nerve pain.
I could not manage without them.
After the first week of taking the tablets I no longer needed to take a cocktail pain killers.

For the first few days I did feel light headed.

M0nica Mon 10-Jun-19 16:22:31

DH had it prescribed for a trapped nerve. It took about three days for it to real kill the pain and it was very effective, but he did feel light headed and spaced out. He only had to take it for as long as was required to have an MRI scan to sort out what and where the problem was and then have treatment, which was about a month.

BradfordLass72 Tue 11-Jun-19 11:10:07

I'm taking it at the moment and was also advised I could increase the does but I haven't. One capsule each night began to work within the first week.

I still going through the various tests (had a CT scan on Friday) to see why the nerves are so painful.

Charleygirl5 Tue 11-Jun-19 12:45:03

I took it for a short period of time but had a nasty rash over the front of my body. This is a drug which must not be stopped immediately even in the state I was in so I decreased it slowly and the rash eventually went.