Gransnet forums

Health

Could this be dementia?

(36 Posts)
sazz1 Sat 15-Jun-19 21:19:41

Visited sister and BIL today and sister is worried about her OH as he seems to be more forgetful. She told me he noticed a neighbour was building a shed in the garden yesterday and pointed it out to her. Then today when she remarked they could do with a new shed like the neighbours were building he denied any knowledge of ever noticing it. She pointed it out to him and he said it's the first time he's seen it. Sister is v worried and wondered if it could be the start of dementia. There have been other bouts of forgetfulness too like conversations about their son visiting which he has swore she never told him. Any advice could it be dementia or is it just old age? BIL is 67. He seemed fine when we visited though.

Pat1949 Sun 16-Jun-19 14:42:27

My husband is very much like that. To be honest the test he had for dementia is so easy you wouldn't identify any one as having early dementia from it you'd have to have full blown dementia.

merlotgran Sun 16-Jun-19 14:58:44

I sometimes wonder if they do it to wind us up. Yesterday I asked DH to help me prune some branches of a Philadelphus because they were flopping over the path. It was raining so I didn't expect him to do it immediately but reminded him when the sun came out.

This morning I reminded him again but he had something else to do first. Later on he asked me twice what it was I wanted him to do. I ignored him.

Half an hour later, there he was, loppers in hand, pruning back the wayward branches. hmm

grandtanteJE65 Sun 16-Jun-19 15:02:29

How is his hearing? Does he answer when his wife tells him something? A lot of men, my DH for one, don't, which makes it difficult when they later on claim that you didn't tell them something. I have no sure way of knowing whether DH heard what I said or not.

His hearing is OK, but like most married men, he does not always listen to his wife!

Not being a doctor, I do not know whether your brother-in-law is suffering from the onset of dementia or not, but I do understand why your sister is worried.

Perhaps she should try to find out whether he does actually hear what she says - if not a visit to the doctor is indicated on account of his hearing.

Is he forgetful of other things? If it is only conversations that they have that he forgets, it is highly exasperating, but probably not the health issue that forgetfulness in many areas could be.

Tillybelle Sun 16-Jun-19 15:19:26

sazz1. I am so sorry to hear of this. You are right to notice these things. If there are several such instances then you need medical advice. If any form of dementia is suspected, the earlier it is treated the better. Do not panic but please make sure you get medical advice as soon as you can.

Your sister needs to talk to her husband's Doctor. The Doctor will know what to do. If she can take along some examples of his memory losses, it will help the Doctor. She does not need to take her husband for this appointment. It will be easier for her to talk to the Doctor on her own. She could ask for a telephone consultation if necessary.

If there is any problem the Doctor will refer your BiL to a Hospital Consultant. There are different types of dementia and different reasons for memory loss. Please try and have him assessed soon. Be calm and upbeat about it. If it does turn out to be dementia it does not mean he is suddenly going to lose all quality of life and not be able to do things. A lot can be done and help can be provided and the earlier that is in place the better.

Wishing you and your sister and brother in law all the best.

ReadyMeals Sun 16-Jun-19 15:37:45

Ah yes it shouldn't be forgotten that sometimes even a vitamin B deficiency can cause dementia-like symptoms, and vitB shortage is often caused by medication for acid reflux, for example and easily rectified

Mossfarr Sun 16-Jun-19 20:27:25

I have the same problem with my other half and he can be quite aggressive when i mention it. He also can't remember how to get to places when he's driving. He never wants to do things on his own either, its like having a small child again! In his case its too much alcohol. No important conversations in our house after the wineglass has appeared because the next day he completely denies anything that was spoken.

lilihu Sun 16-Jun-19 23:44:55

Apparently there are up to 25 causes of forgetfulness or memory loss. Best idea is to keep a record of issues over a week and take them to the GP. Could be nipping something in the bud before it gets serious, or may be simple ageing.

kittylester Mon 17-Jun-19 07:21:32

I'd just like to point out that there is no treatment for dementia. There are treatments that can slow the progress of Alzheimers Disease and for specific symptoms of other forms of dementia.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 17-Jun-19 09:37:59

I worry about people saying this and that emphatically are early signs. The only way to know is to go to the GP. This is a good article. If it is you can learn about ways to assist the failing memory. It is worth remembering that there is such a thing as age related memory loss - we will all get a bit of that.

www.which.co.uk/later-life-care/home-care/dementia/what-is-dementia-a9qcl6r8s2h8?msclkid=5f6faab65dc8144dc03cf7b1139a0f88&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**EC%20Care-Your%20Relative%27s%20Needs-Dealing%20With%20Memory%20Problems-Exact&utm_term=early%20signs%20of%20dementia&utm_content=early%20signs%20of%20dementia

BlueSky Mon 17-Jun-19 18:08:41

GracesGran yes good to remember about the normal memory loss associated with ageing.