Gransnet forums

Health

TMS treatment

(9 Posts)
humptydumpty Thu 20-Jun-19 10:29:32

My daughter is interested in trying TMS for depression (she has not found a drug treatment which helps). Does anyone have any experience of this, please? Thanks in advance!

Anniebach Thu 20-Jun-19 11:38:04

humpty, I don’t know anyone who has experienced this treatment but I did ask someone who works in a mental health unit, he told me it is validated by NICE

EllanVannin Thu 20-Jun-19 12:11:38

I imagine like everything else it won't suit or work with everyone. It's a method used when other treatments medications don't work, such as in bi-polar or chronic anxiety.
Like ECT is used in cases where there is chronic mental illness .

I'm not conversant with TMS as much as ECT but the electro-magnetism is a non-invasive therapy and nowhere near as scary or brutal as ECT.

humptydumpty Thu 20-Jun-19 12:13:15

Thyanks very much for that, Annie - but apparently it's still not available on the NHS because no CCG's are funding it. It's really expensive to fund privately, so I wasn't optimistic that anyone would have experience (unless they're in the US where it's covered by health insurance, I believe).

Anniebach Thu 20-Jun-19 12:16:59

humpty, during Mental Health week Alastair Cambell saw a practitioner of I think TMS, doubt it will still be on catch up

humptydumpty Thu 20-Jun-19 12:36:22

Thanks again, Annie, I think I might have recorded that, if not I'll try iPlayer.

CanOnlyTry Thu 20-Jun-19 22:06:23

Tell her to go for it humptydumpty A relative has had TMS Therapy via an NHS trial and it cured her severe depression after around 30 sessions. Although yes it is very expensive done privately but there are a few CCGs who have taken it on following similar trials. Hope this helps X

Clio51 Mon 24-Jun-19 16:08:02

I looked into this for anxiety, as you say it’s very expensive especially not really knowing how many you would definitely need.

It is done in some nhs hospital but only if nothing else as helped. Maybe if your dd sees a psych she could mention it. If you don’t ask ! You don’t get

Also there are still trials for rtms running, I can’t remember where they were now but it wasn’t near me Mcr.
It needs to be near as you have to go everyday, even though it only take 30 mins

Google. Rtms trials

SashaT Mon 02-Dec-19 13:35:45

Hey @ humptydumpty , I hope that all went well with your daughter?

I've recently been in the same shoes (after fighting with the black dog for the better part of the past 16 years) and TMS was one of the things that I looked into. I also found methods like ECT (at first I was sure it's the same as TMS) and light therapy.

One article that really helped me make an educated decision was this one - successtms.com/blog/tms-vs-ect

I gave TMS a try and so far I can only say, that it works for me. Combined with regular visits to my psychiatrist (we just chat mostly) and regular sports, I've never felt better.

I wish you and your loved ones all the best