Gransnet forums

Health

Turmeric

(8 Posts)
paddyann Thu 27-Jun-19 17:08:26

My 84 year old MIL has asked me to get information about Turmeric supplements .She says she has "tired legs" an dno energy and someone...she cant remember who suggested she try turmeric.She takes an omega 3,6 and 9 capsule and vit D should she add turmeric to her list and does it help ? I did check Amazon for reviews but they are all about inflammation and joint pain no mention of tired legs .Thanks in advance ladies .

PamelaJ1 Thu 27-Jun-19 18:19:50

I’m a fan of turmeric but haven’t heard that is effective for the treatment of tired legs.

Davida1968 Thu 27-Jun-19 20:43:56

Wasn't there thread about Turmeric a while ago? I don't recall anyone mentioning "tired legs". on it. I understand that the claims made for Turmeric (which I take) are that it has "natural" anti-inflammatory properties, and that it matches the effects of anti-inflammatory drugs, without any of their possible side effects.

GabriellaG54 Fri 28-Jun-19 22:45:15

You would have to take huge qusntities of tumeric (and indeed most supplements) to feel any benefit at all, according to Public Health England.
Turmeric can be effective when treating inflammation but again, the quantities needed to see any effect, are much higher than any of us would choose to take and there can be unwanted side effects.
These are facts supported by science.

GabriellaG54 Fri 28-Jun-19 22:46:26

qusntities quantities

Carol2000 Thu 11-Jul-19 08:10:22

Turmeric can help with restless legs and the dosage is not that high for most people. I take 3 capsules a day and that is the amount DrAxe and most of the blogs I've read recommend to take. I'm not sure how it helps but it does for me, maybe calming the nervous system

SueH49 Thu 11-Jul-19 08:19:38

GG54, I take one teaspoon of Golden Paste each day. I make this and it keeps in the fridge for a couple of weeks. Science or not there is no doubt that when I take it I have little or no pain from my arthritis. If I miss taking it for a couple of days the pain is back in full force.

cornergran Thu 11-Jul-19 10:43:05

Agree SueH, I do believe it has a real impact, our local physios also suggest quietly that patients trial it as they get positive word of mouth reports, but you know if it is a placebo effect I'm not fussed as long as I'm more comfortable.