Gransnet forums

Health

Leg Cramps

(25 Posts)
Bensid Fri 28-Jun-19 00:49:40

Does anyone suffer from nocturnal or resting leg cramps?

janeainsworth Fri 28-Jun-19 05:49:42

Yes, that’s why I’m on Gransnet with a cup of tea at 5 o’clock in the morning! ?
Nothing works for me!

MawBroonsback Fri 28-Jun-19 06:32:23

It’s generally (I think) caused by dehydration with me - that and/or a couple of glasses of wine.
I drink about a pint of water before bed-causing other problems I know- and guzzle magnesium tablets.
It tends to happen when I am visiting DD and on reflection I rarely drink on my own so the wine connection may be it.
Excruciating isn’t it?

BradfordLass72 Fri 28-Jun-19 07:54:10

Dehydration definitely and people who say magnesium hasn't worked for them have either not taken enough or taken the wrong kind.
Magnesium chelate is best and I have a friend who takes 420 milligrams a day for migraine - on doctor;s advice.

The office of Dietary supplements notes that “too much magnesium from food does not pose a health risk in healthy individuals because the kidneys eliminate excess amounts in the urine.”
There is also magnesium cream you can apply to your calves before bed.

IF you have a doctor who agrees that supplements can work and be good for you in certain circumstances (as opposed to one who thinks alternative medicines are snake oil) then ask their advice.

It's wise to run the idea of taking magnesium by your doctor or pharmacist anyway as it may be an antagonist to other meds you may be taking.

Slowcookervegan Fri 28-Jun-19 08:56:12

Try putting magnesium gel on your legs before bed. It works for me
Good luck.

janeainsworth Fri 28-Jun-19 09:03:11

Why have you started two threads on the same subject Bensid?
On your other thread you say you’ve found out why you get them.
Why don’t you enlighten us? hmm

crazyH Fri 28-Jun-19 09:06:09

A glass of Indian tonic waiter before bed.

EllanVannin Fri 28-Jun-19 09:09:44

I used to get the most awful cramp but I no longer suffer. I've no idea why I no longer have them----not that I want them again but I can only put it down to the fact that I have warfarin for circulation ?

BonnieBlooming Fri 12-Jul-19 16:18:34

I used to get leg cramps often. I read in a magazine that magnesium can help and bought a supplement from Zipvit. No more cramps!

Cristianna Sat 13-Jul-19 00:30:05

Yes, yes, and yes! It happens at night, while I am sound asleep and/or during the day. If I don't drink alot of water during the day, it comes on more often.

The only think I found that immediately stops them is a homeopathic dissolving pill called Hyland's Leg Cramps PM. I get them at my drugstore (Walgreens, CVS, etc). but I also know you can order them on Amazon.com. I hope this helps. It is a little miracle pill for me!

stella1949 Sat 13-Jul-19 03:20:57

Every night I have a teaspoon of magnesium powder mixed with half a glass of tonic water ( the tonic water has quinine which is also good for leg cramps). It works like magic and I've never had problems since my doctor recommended this practice.

mabaleka Sat 13-Jul-19 09:29:36

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Gonegirl Sat 13-Jul-19 09:35:09

MawBroonsback I couldn't cross my legs long enough!!!

silverlining48 Sat 13-Jul-19 10:31:49

Never have cramp apart from very rarely in my toes, but a week or so ago i woke in the night with terrible pains in the leg. It felt like a massive cramp. Did stop eventually. My dd bought me some Magnesium body spray a while ago but when I used it it seemed to irritate my skin.
It did scare me so Will watch this with interest.

goldengirl Sat 13-Jul-19 11:49:56

I used to get leg cramps but fingers crossed since I've been on rivaroxaban - a blood thinner - I've not had them since. However I do get the odd toe / ball of foot cramp after tai chi sometimes and that needs a lot of wiggling to disperse; luckily it doesn't last long

ninathenana Sat 13-Jul-19 12:50:45

I wake in the night with cramp across my instep. I know how to stretch out a calf cramp but I've yet to find a fool proof was of curing foot cramp. I will buy some magnesium.

Minniemoo Sat 13-Jul-19 12:54:38

Restless leg syndrome? Drives me utterly mad. You just have to ride it out really. I do all the pacing and epsom salt baths and this that and the other.

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 12:57:24

My friend used to take tonic water for her cramps.

SparklyGrandma Sat 13-Jul-19 13:02:47

crazyH I will try tonic water, thank you for the tip....

crazyH Sat 13-Jul-19 13:08:56

It really ones work Sparkly

crazyH Sat 13-Jul-19 13:14:59

Does (not ones ?)

sodapop Sat 13-Jul-19 14:42:51

I suffered a lot with leg cramps. I drink water mainly throughout the day and my husband found some bottled water with added magnesium which really does the trick. If I am away from home without my water the cramp invariably returns.

SparklyGrandma Sat 13-Jul-19 16:50:39

Yes lol crazyH

Happiyogi Sat 13-Jul-19 17:02:34

Same as slowcookervegan - I find magnesium gel works almost instantly. I don't go to bed without having it within easy stretching distance!

silversurf Sat 13-Jul-19 19:27:10

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned statin tablets. Cramp is a known side effect of taking these.
My doctor prescribed statins for slightly raised cholesterol. After taking them for sometime I got night time leg cramps.
I just stopped taking them; no more cramps. When I went to the docs some months later I mentioned that I had stopped taking them. All he said was ‘that’s fine’ and suggested I take a low dosage asprin once a day.
My dentist tells me that several of his patients have the same problem and that he would never take statins.