Gransnet forums

Health

Single tooth denture.

(28 Posts)
shysal Mon 08-Jul-19 15:28:18

I have had a crown on a front tooth since I had an abscess many years ago which killed the tooth. It used to come loose frequently but then stayed put for years. It has come out now and the dentist has found that the root is split so it is unlikely to hold for long.
The options are:
Implant, can't justify the cost (at least £2000).
Bridge, adjacent teeth not very strong to support one.
Single tooth denture which he calls a flipper (£230)
He recommends the flipper but I don't relish the thought of one. Has anyone got one and how do they get on with it? I don't show my top gum much unless I really grin, but will it be very obvious? There will be a small lip in front and behind.
Nothing will be done until the crown comes loose again, so I will be very careful for now.
I am very lucky with my dentist. He went private some years ago but vowed to only charge NHS prices, which is great.

glammanana Mon 08-Jul-19 15:35:31

shysal I have had one for a few years now and I have no problem with it,in fact I forget about it that much I have to remember to take it out every night.
I also lost my tooth due to abscess and not able to support a bridge its the tooth next to my front teeth everyone who knows me says they would not have known about it if I hadn't told them.
Hoping this helps you x

Fennel Mon 08-Jul-19 16:09:35

shysal - I had exactly the same problem - a very old front crown which developed an abscess. Back in 2005.
I had a plate made of some silvery material with a replacement tooth. It has a hook at each side which go round back teeth. Not a flipper.
It has worked well, I've had a few more teeth added to it, as I've lost a few more since then.
I think it cost about £1200, including the 3 or so appointments. It depends on your age as well at my age you expect to have lost a few teeth.

crystaltipps Mon 08-Jul-19 17:21:37

I hated having a plate with a single tooth it affected my speech and eating. I had an implant and it’s been worth every penny.

Blinko Mon 08-Jul-19 17:23:15

I had a single tooth denture for years. No problem at all.

dragonfly46 Mon 08-Jul-19 17:28:09

I would justify the cost of an implant by thinking my health and teeth are the most important thing.

BlueBelle Mon 08-Jul-19 17:30:53

How ever justified it is some people don’t have £2000 around

Fennel Mon 08-Jul-19 19:45:29

My dentist (in France) accepted postdated cheques. I paid over about 4 months.
He had offered an implant but I couldn't face the prolongued preparation.
The advantage of my plate is that I can have others attached at minimal price.

SirChenjin Mon 08-Jul-19 21:32:31

DH has just got one after having a tooth removed - took him a couple of weeks to get used to it but has no problems with it now. He may get an implant at some point but it’s very expensive and the single tooth is working absolutely fine.

Tangerine Mon 08-Jul-19 21:42:39

Perhaps try the single tooth denture and see how you get on. Plenty of people seem to manage well so let's hope it works for you.

If it's not completely to your liking and you've got £2000, I think dragonfly46 is right when she mentions health and teeth being the most important thing.

Luckylegs Mon 08-Jul-19 23:03:34

I don’t know if it’s possible in that position but I’ve had a tooth attached to the next tooth. It was called a Maryland bridge IIRC. It was done by a private dentist, was the cheapest option and it’s wonderful, I forget it’s there! Might be worth asking anyway.

shysal Tue 09-Jul-19 09:06:31

Thank you everybody for your comments. As suggested I will give the denture a try and see how I get on. If it affects my speech or ability to eat comfortably I shall think again.

Littleannie Tue 09-Jul-19 09:20:53

I had one on a little pink plastic plate which covered half my upper mouth. It was a real nuisance. It used to fall down suddenly, and I couldn't eat with it in. I now have a chrome plate which is a narrow band which goes behind my front teeth and doesn't go onto the roof of my mouth at all. It has 2 teeth on, the front eye tooth and a back tooth. It attaches to the 2 molars at the back with small hooks. They are precision made on a computer. It is excellent, and I don't know it is there at all. I have to remember to take it out at night! It cost about £400 about 5 years ago, the cost may have gone up a bit since then. That was at my dentist who is private.

Dawn22 Wed 10-Jul-19 12:28:57

Hi Shysal
I have two three way crown set ups in my mouth including my front teeth..

If the roots of the teeth on either side of your problem tooth are strong enough (which they should be) ask your dentist to create a three way crown, where 3 teeth carry 2.

This will be the best and most positive long term solution to your problem. A good dentist will have no problem doing this. You won't regret it as l don't.
Hope this helps. Dawn.

Coolgran65 Wed 10-Jul-19 12:40:54

If your denture feels as if it will fall down try a little denture fixative. It works wonders.
I have had two of the dentures on the chrome wires and yes, they are wonderful, and not on the NHS.

The plastic denture - you will get used to in a couple of days. Sometimes it takes a wee trip back to the dentist for an adjustment. I had to go back twice and now mine is perfect. I put a little denture fixative on each morning and it stays put all day.

shysal Wed 10-Jul-19 13:33:23

I am haunted by memories of my mother using Dr Wernet's powder denture fixative!
I did ask about a bridge but apparently the adjacent teeth are not likely to be strong enough for a centre front tooth, one is a post crown, the other is thin and filled.

Willow500 Wed 10-Jul-19 16:35:56

I lost a front tooth to an abscess when I was 14 and had a single tooth denture for years - it wasn't really a problem. I then had it bridged to the two adjoining teeth but that eventually gave out too so I had implants 6 years ago and had to wear a temporary denture again during the treatment. It was a nuisance as it didn't fit properly but that was only due to the ever changing situation with my treatment over 9 months. I used denture fixative which helped. I'd try the denture to start with - you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to it.

Alexa Wed 10-Jul-19 17:28:41

Shysal, I've had one for years and years and would not want any of the alternatives even if they cost as little as the false tooth. Later, I needed another with two teeth on it and that is just as good.

The only thing is that you may want to look glam at night in bed with a full set of teeth on view in which case the false tooth won't be so good.

shysal Thu 11-Jul-19 07:37:49

Alexa, I live alone so no need to look glam at night!
My mother used to sleep in her full dentures, we never saw her without them.

SueH49 Thu 11-Jul-19 07:47:36

I've had a full denture for 55 years and I never take them out except to clean them, sleep with them in too.

Carol2000 Thu 11-Jul-19 08:12:19

I'm planning on getting one as well as I don't fancy a root canal. I think you get used to things pretty quickly so it shouldnt be a problem. Hopefully you'll get a few more years out the crown tho

Dawn22 Fri 12-Jul-19 08:59:30

Hi Shysal
I am very interested in this topic and have had a lot of experience of this.

Another option you have is to use 2 teeth on each side of the problem tooth. In other words five teeth are used to make a crown that will carry four.. The roots of these teeth are used only so it is only the roots that have to be strong and healthy.

A young progressive dentist will be well able to do this as well as an older dentist. You just need the right person to do it.
You would be happier with this over and above a denture long term as it is a more permanent solution. It may also improve your smile as you will have possibly 5 new sparkly teeth.

Only saying all this to let you know you have more options Shysal than you might think. Hope this helps from Dawn.

vintanner Fri 12-Jul-19 09:12:52

I wore a 'flipper' (never knew it was called that) for 35 years with no problems before it broke and needed replacing.

The new one cost £200 and I had to take it back a couple of times to be filed down as it didn't feel comfortable at all.

I wore it for a few months but I gave up on it and haven't used it for about a year now. The gap no longer bothers me.

If you feel you are okay without it, do so. £220 is a lot of money and I don't think they can guarantee a good fit.

Alexa Fri 12-Jul-19 11:26:36

Shysal, if you are fortunate enough to know of a good dental technician they can make a denture for you at a fraction of the price a dentist charges and in my experience at least as good, or better. The technician will do an impression just like the dentist does, and then make your plate with great expertise. Technicians don't have waiting rooms like dentists. In my experience you go straight into the workshop don't let it put you off.I paid just over £100 for mine (two teeth)
You do of course have to go to a dentist to have the old crown extracted and any medication you might need.

Ellie Anne Sat 20-Jul-19 00:34:20

If at all possible I’d definitely have the implant. I have two and they are just like real teeth.
By the way what is a flipper?