Gransnet forums

Health

Bi-polar disorder?

(28 Posts)
glammagran Thu 18-Jul-19 20:13:57

For the several years or so my eldest daughter who was 45 last week seems to be gradually showing signs of mental illness. When DGD1 was 18 months old (now 13) she stayed overnight with us for the one and only time. When her mother collected her the next morning she utterly castigated me despite our centrally heated, carpeted home that she HAD PULLED HER SOCKS OFF and was in imminent danger of hyperthermia. I said I wasn’t prepared to have her again and haven’t apart from looking after her for a few hours at her house now and again. Other 2 sets of DGC have stayed with us and youngest DGD2 we look after every week.

The day after her birthday she invited us overnight as she does a couple of times a year (60 miles away). I was guarded as she has torn into me without provocation the last 4 times we’ve stayed but this time was the worst. We won’t be going back anytime soon. She apologised by text the next day but I’ve ignored her. Her daughter was very upset next day having listened to her horrible language like a navvy. She seemed manic in the restaurant and was embarrassing. When we went home by taxi there was a light shower and she was in hysterics about her new outdoor furniture cushions having been left out and getting a little wet. She acknowledges she has OCD - her home is like a show home while mines like a primeval swamp (it really isn’t!) and spends all weekend cleaning - hence DGD is an only child. She is driving her husband demented and his parents who have looked after DGD since birth when she returned to work have moved away as they can’t take her either. She always has lots of trouble with every job she has. She works very hard but nothing ever measures up to her very exacting standards and she always claims she has been mis-sold the positions she takes.

My sister suggested bi-polar disorder and it hadn’t occurred to me before but she is alienating everyone. I certainly don’t want to see her. Do any gransnetters have any experience of this?

paddyann Sat 20-Jul-19 22:54:40

annie its been on my mind too,I dont understand why any mother would stay with a man who didn't like her child and made that dislike obvious.Why wouldn't you tell him to act like the grown up he was and behave around her or just take your children and leave .I couldn't accept anyone who was bad to my kids ..not beating them just ruining their self esteem which is almost worse

glammagran Sun 21-Jul-19 13:39:18

I will return in due course and let you know how things pan out. Thanks for your responses posters.