Gransnet forums

Health

Electric Wheelchairs

(14 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 19-Jul-19 15:09:43

Oh Annie such great news that you’re even thinking about how to improve your mobility independence! I have no insight on the topic but i just wanted to wish you all the best! Do let us know how you get on won’t you?
x

HootyMcOwlface Fri 19-Jul-19 13:49:06

midgey what’s this insurance you have? My husband has a large electric chair and he is a menace in it! He has to have it on top speed all the time and is wrecking our door frames, skirting, kitchen cupboards etc. Worried about him damaging things outside our home. Also he will reverse without checking anyone is behind him!

MaizieD Fri 19-Jul-19 13:43:10

I have a relative with very advanced MS. He has an electric wheel chair. He uses it to go out and about on his own in the local town and it has given him back a huge amount of independence. I don't think he has any problems with manoeuvring it.

I don't think it could do as much damage as a conventional mobility scooter; it can't even go as fast as they do.

Davidhs Fri 19-Jul-19 13:32:19

Mobility scooters are best for outdoor use they are easier to control with the handlebar steering.
Electric wheelchairs are joystick controlled, much harder to control on the street but indoors their ability to turn in their own length wins easily

BlueSky Fri 19-Jul-19 12:23:59

Just a word of warning make sure that the small safety wheels at the back are out every time the chair is used, as otherwise you could tip it backwards while negotiating curbs. This has happened to my late mother in law. She ended up in hospital after hitting her head,but it could have been disastrous.

quizqueen Fri 19-Jul-19 12:16:14

I think anyone who uses something which is powered out in the streets should be required to take out compulsory accident insurance and have identifying number plates. There was an article in yesterday's newspaper about an elderly lady being knocked down and badly injured by someone driving an invalid vehicle on the pavement.

Gonegirl Fri 19-Jul-19 12:10:31

Of course you won't look a plonker! It's the fat and lazy ones that I haven't got time for. (I will prob get flamed for that)

Anniebach Fri 19-Jul-19 12:06:12

?. ?

Thank you all . I think the time has come to part with Fred☹️. I bought him a year ago and had plans on where I could
go out to. Poetry Group. Quiz night. Church hall events.

This means leaving Fred parked on a narrow pavement!

After x ray results this week, even if I overcome the agoraphobia I now know I am very limited in walking distance.

So , I thought about an electric wheelchair, could take it into
the buildings .

Living in Mid Wales, mountains, rivers and sheep, but cannot get to the large towns where I can try out wheelchairs.

I will make enquires about hiring one and see if it is suitable
for my needs.

Will I look a plonker? , I am not disabled but semi disabled

Gonegirl Fri 19-Jul-19 11:44:41

Go on Annie. You give it a go girl. You CAN do it. [thumbs up]

Luckygirl Fri 19-Jul-19 11:11:17

I agree about trying it out - we were given a second hand one to try out for a few days and concluded in that time that it was not right for OH. Do try and get one on loan.

Maybelle Fri 19-Jul-19 10:15:51

My DH uses one outdoors, had it for about 3 years now. Very happy with the handling, very responsive and barely bigger than his old manual wheelchair.

Suggest you go to a good supplier and try a few out. The one we went to helped us to narrow it down to 2 options and then let us borrow them one at a time to road them.

midgey Fri 19-Jul-19 09:29:52

My husband uses one. It makes life possible but he is insured as the damage he is capable of inflicting on ANYTHING is immense. Years ago we met a lady who hadn’t the courage to use one, his advice to her was to practice by playing video games with a controller. Different chairs react very differently so worth trying out to find one that suits.

Luckygirl Fri 19-Jul-19 09:14:53

OH was trialled with one but his PD made it impossible for him to use it properly - when indoors we lost chunks of the door frames! - crash! But I understand they are easier to manoeuvre outdoor where you do not have such small places to navigate through. It is a very different technique from driving where you would turn a corner in a curve - with an electric wheelchair you turn at right angles - a bit like a dalek!

Anniebach Fri 19-Jul-19 09:08:10

Anyone use one of these outdoors?