Gransnet forums

Health

Hot weather and bruising.....need advice.

(12 Posts)
Katek Sat 20-Jul-19 09:13:30

I’m currently on holiday in a very hot Spain and arrived with 3 little bruises just below my knee on inside. I’d obviously walked into something. These bruises have now merged and grown into one vast purple patch. It’s not hot or swollen so def just bruising and nothing more sinister. I have a habit of sitting with my legs curled under me with the affected leg underneath. I’m just wondering - do we bruise more readily in the heat?

Elegran Sat 20-Jul-19 09:50:55

I would have thought walking into something would cause one bruise, not three little ones, and you clearly don't remember the impact. That sounds pretty extensive for something you didn't even notice. Do you take aspirin or anything else that affects bleeding? Could they be insect or tick bites? You say you arrived with them, and you have a habit of sitting with your legs under you. Could you have squashed the blood vessels while travelling or while sitting around at the airport? If it expands any further, I would see a doctor. In fact, I would consider seeing one anyway, it sounds unexpected and undeserved and might be serious.

midgey Sat 20-Jul-19 10:21:27

Stop sitting on your poor legs too! It’s definitely not good for them.

EllanVannin Sat 20-Jul-19 10:51:11

Sudden bruising for no reason needs attention. A blood test is in order. Sun/hot weather isn't a cause for bruising, only a hard knock or a blood condition.

wildswan16 Sat 20-Jul-19 11:11:48

Every time I go on holiday my legs are covered in bruises. I think it is from carrying suitcases and bags and I tend to use my knees to push cases about while waiting in queues etc.

sodapop Sat 20-Jul-19 13:12:25

I have bruised very easily all my life, have some big ones and most of the time can't remember causing them. They do look unsightly. If I scratch too hard I get a bruise.
As this is a new symptom for you I would get it checked out. Don't sit on your legs, as others say, its not good for you.

Liz46 Sat 20-Jul-19 13:18:34

I bruise very easily and dramatically. I think being on inhaled steroids for asthma may be partly why.

Katek Sat 20-Jul-19 14:38:43

Aah.....never thought of that liz46, I too on inhaled steroids.? Thanks for all your advice ladies, think it has something to do with heat related vasodilation and my sitting on my legs! We fly home tomorrow so think I will make appt with ANP on Monday just to check it out. Pic of lovely bruise attached-that’s it fading’

Jane10 Sat 20-Jul-19 15:46:01

For some reason I always arrive with lots of bruises after travelling. I never remember how I did it!
Hope you have a good journey home Katek.

nanaK54 Sat 20-Jul-19 17:58:25

My DH has been told to always wash mouth out after using is inhalers

Katek Sat 20-Jul-19 20:41:20

Thanks jane10-not my preferred mode of travel but will grit my teeth for 2.5 hours and then I shall be back in an extremely wet Aberdeen!!

crazyH Sat 20-Jul-19 20:51:32

NanaK, I was also told to wash my mouth after inhalers.....quite frankly, i don't and don't really know what it's done to my mouth. Mind you, I have used inhalers for 40 years or more.