Gransnet forums

Health

Lichen sclerosis

(57 Posts)
Sussexborn Wed 24-Jul-19 16:44:42

Try getting a feme pad - a softened ice pack originally designed to help after childbirth. I have two so one can be freezing when the other one is in use. Or a pack of frozen peas. Cotton knickers if you feel you have to wear something and take care rinsing underwear thoroughly. Try cutting out anything sugary for a few days (this has helped me) or possibly wheat based products. I use lidocaine patches (prescription) on the inner thigh as close to the problem area as possible as it numbs the pain. I have PEMD
which has the same issues though a different disease. Check out Facebook or internet for support groups. Have found out far more from these than from the medical profession. Horrible area to be dealing with but I always tell myself other people cope with a lot worse!

mrsmopp Wed 24-Jul-19 16:18:37

I've had this condition for many years and it's very hard to shift it. It lies dormant sometimes then flares up again. I went to the local hospital walk in clinic, yes, that one, and they biopsies it and gave be dermovate ointment which helps.
Do keep an eye on it and report any changes as mine has turned cancerous but this doesn't happen to everyone. It's not widely known because people don't talk about it.
The itching drives me mad.

Worriedgran24 Tue 23-Jul-19 21:28:55

Thank you, it is awful, I had a biopsy and yes you're right sharon03 you have the correct spelling smile

sharon103 Tue 23-Jul-19 21:11:44

If you mean Lichen sclerosus Worried gran, then yes I've had this for the past 3 years. I thought at first I had thrush and bought Canesten but didn't take the awful itching away, I bought Lanacane and that didn't help and so went to the doctors. She had a look and said Oh I know what that is and prescribed a steroid cream 30g tube of Clobetasol 0.5m to use twice a day continuously for a month. I use it when need be now. She did a print out of the condition for me. It's a white patch of skin from the lower part of the vagina to the anus, Intense itching in what they call a figure of eight in that area. Male and females can get it at any age but in post menopausal women it affects the nether region. I was told and and I've also read up on it on google that there is no cure and a 5% chance that it could turn cancerous. Also the itching is worse at night. If you have the same as me, it is Sclerosus not ending in sis. I sympathise I really do. You just want to scratch so bad at times and to be truthful I have, using some toilet roll. By what I have read, it's not known what causes it although it could be hereditary or menopause. I don't like the thought of having this for the rest of my life but the said steroid cream does help a lot when it flares up. flowers

Luckygirl Tue 23-Jul-19 20:38:34

My DGD had this at the onset of puberty - I felt so sorry for her. But she was very grown-up about it and would manage the steroid cream and the regime of tailing it off by herself. I am crossing my fingers here, but it does seem to be much better now.

I am sorry you are both suffering.

phoenix Tue 23-Jul-19 20:34:38

Yes, and badly! The current steroid cream doesn't seem to do much, and although I use a special wash lotion, showering can be painful.

Now, I say it's Lichen Sclerosis, but it could now be something else, I haven't had a recent check.

The soreness and itching are pretty bad, and at the risk of TMI, I'm pretty sure that the stress incontinence makes the soreness worse blush

Worriedgran24 Tue 23-Jul-19 20:27:33

Good evening, does anyone else suffer from this condition and how do you cope?