Gransnet forums

Health

Anti reflux diet

(51 Posts)
ecci53 Fri 26-Jul-19 10:48:26

I've been on PPIs for about 3 years, following a diagnosis of hiatus hernia and reflux disease. My GP now wants me to stop the PPIs and follow an anti reflux diet, also using Gaviscon if necessary. Has anyone tried an anti reflux diet? Does it work? Any advice gratefully received. TiA

Gonegirl Fri 26-Jul-19 17:53:09

That's why I bought Slippery Elm, cos it was advertised when I was a child back in the fifties. Do you get yours online? Maybe I'll be brave and try again.

ecci53 Fri 26-Jul-19 18:49:15

I've read that slippery elm can help, also liquorice. Has anyone tried that?

beautybumble Fri 26-Jul-19 18:59:56

I used to get a lot of acid reflux which at one time nearly ended up in hospital. I also had much pain in joints and headaches. I'm now on a vegan, mostly raw plant based diet and I feel amazing physically. No more pain no more reflux, and weight down.If this interests you, (and I know its not for everyone), then try reading up about it. There's a lot of great books out there, one being 'How Not To Die', it was so good I couldn't put it down. Good luck.

Fennel Fri 26-Jul-19 19:03:15

I've just found out what PPIs are and realised I've been on them on and off them for the last 2 years. Lansoprazole.
Trying to avoid various foods etc I've lost weight and am now only 50kg. Normally 55kg.
I just want to binge eat - especially chocolate biscuits and spice bread with lots of butter and Marmite.

sharon103 Fri 26-Jul-19 19:26:17

Like others the things that give me acid reflux is tomatoes, tea, coffee, pastry, fizzy drinks, mashed potato, sprouts, crusty buns or bread, alcohol, mint, too much chocolate, strawberries but love them and buy 2 punnets every weekend while the british ones are in season (yes I'm a glutton for punishment) and stress!.
Maalox Oral Suspension is very good. I have been having Morrisons brand Fruit flavoured antacid tablets. 48 tablets in a box. I sometimes only need to have a half a tablet in the day and one before bed if needed. they don't cost much, in between £3-£4 I think. I prefer to chew them and swill down with water. They can be sucked but I tend to get a thirst if I do that.

Stansgran Fri 26-Jul-19 19:58:34

I'm in this club sadly. Since I've had a knee replacement I've been more mobile and have lost a stone which has helped the reflux. Pastry and bread are my problem foods .as a child I could never eat fatty foods- Friday school fish and chips always saw me in the sick room with a migraine which at the time I didn't know what it was. I was scolded for itas avoiding lessons. It was double art one of my favourites. Losing weight round my middle has helped.

giulia Fri 26-Jul-19 20:22:38

I was diagnosed with iatal hernia ten years ago but have virtually eliminated all the symptoms by not eating after seven p.m.and avoiding certain foods like tomatoes.

However, just before I go to bed I swig down a couple of gulps of plain kefir. This is also excellent for the intestine and far more effective than yogurt (read Dr. Mosely on the subject). My hernia has grown from one to two centimetres in ten years but gives me no trouble.

The one time I was obliged to eat very late recently, the acid again shot up into my throat during the night.

annodomini Fri 26-Jul-19 21:11:52

I've just revisited a web page about 'silent reflux' and realised that I have slipped back into some bad old dietary ways. I should be avoiding chocolate, spices and cheese. I don't mind not having citrus fruit though. Add together diverticulitis, reflux and hiatus hernia, is there anything I should definitely be eating? No - please don't tell me. Life's too short.

pinkquartz Fri 26-Jul-19 23:22:51

After being free of this condition for about 15 years it has now returned and I have gone back to using Slippery Elm which is great. Also if you can raise the bed at the head end by a brick (you need 2 bricks) it gives gravity a chance to help you heal at night.
It really helps.
Also I have to eat smaller meals and keep to simple foods.

I was a vegan at one time for 3 years and I would never recommend it. I became much more ill and it has no Vit B12 and no amino acids for rebuilding a poorly body.
It was good for my digestion but I would never go back to it. I felt better for the first year and then went downhill. I think it is great to clean up the body but then your body just doesn't get all the nutrition it needs.

BradfordLass72 Sat 27-Jul-19 07:18:15

All this make me realise how lucky I am but I'm sorry for all your sufferings, it must be awful.

Slippery Elm can be bought in capsules...even in the UK

starbird Sat 27-Jul-19 10:24:31

I buy slippery Elm at Holland & Barratt, I don’t see how capsules can work but will try them.
Thanks for the tip about Keffir - I have been experimenting with fermented foods and drinks but the jury is still out.

Jane43 Mon 29-Jul-19 12:38:28

Since my DH was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in March last year he went on a low carb diet and as well as bringing his blood glucose into the normal range he was able to come off Omeprazole which he had been on for years. So a low carb diet seems to be beneficial. When he did have reflux he found the worst offenders were pastry, too much bread, fried food and ready meals, he never ate spicy food as he doesn’t like it so can’t comment on that.. All these foods have disappeared from his diet except for two slices of whole meal bread a day and so has the acid reflux and the medication.

Gonegirl Mon 29-Jul-19 13:14:09

I am absolutely certain there is no way Slippery Elm capsules could work. You will have to swallow the awful porridge. And get it from the US if you want it to be sugar free.

Gonegirl Mon 29-Jul-19 13:15:33

Keffir is a fashionable con.

So much money to be wasted. (Although I can understand the desperation)

lemongrove Mon 29-Jul-19 13:17:58

I reached the point when almost any food or drink was causing reflux, but since the GP proscribed Omazaprole
Have no problems with any foods.

Gonegirl Mon 29-Jul-19 13:20:19

I was wrong about the availability of sugar free Slippery Elm powder in this country. There are sources. It's a few years since I tried to get some. (and then couldn't eating the stuff)

Gonegirl Mon 29-Jul-19 13:21:22

PPIs are the only real answer. Unless you have the op. Which doesn't seem to be recommended by the medical profession these days.

giulia Mon 05-Aug-19 13:30:09

Kefir is a fashionable con??

All I know is that, since taking kefir once a day in a small amount, I no longer have either problems with irritable colon (which used to be very embarrassing) nor do I need to take medication for reflux. It doesn't cost much at all. Nor does it have side effects if taken in moderation and stopping altogether for brief periods.

Tea3 Mon 05-Aug-19 14:18:56

I've been coping with GORD since my last pregnancy 30 years ago. It became significantly worse when I was put on HRT a few years ago. Of course the hormones relax the opening into the stomach (not much joined up thinking by my GP). I've been told by a consultant I shall be on PPIs for life. I've been doing the diet thing for decades, and the raised bed and sloped pillow. I followed every bit of medical advice, anything to avoid yet another gastroscopy (three in 8 years!) But I've read the posts and feel I must mention that Silicolgel has made a huge difference to my life this last year. I'm down to just one PPI tablet a day, I can eat a wider range of foods and I've even had the odd curry! No, it's not a great swallow but it goes down better stirred in a splash of water, and take just before a meal to line the tubes. Persevere for a couple of weeks to start to feel the benefit. I take before lunch and dinner - not breakfast because I don't want the Silicolgel interfering with the PPI I take first thing. It's no miracle cure but has made my suffering a lot easier. I'm currently experimenting with taking lower and lower doses - OK so far. Holland and Barrett is the cheapest place to buy it when they have an offer on. Everyone reacts differently so it might not do it for you but I wish I'd known about it years ago.

Tea3 Mon 05-Aug-19 14:27:27

Slippery Elm is available in this country - try Indigo Herbs. If I get slippery elm capsules I open them and sprinkle on cereal - stir it in and you can't taste it. The stuff the capsule is made from upsets my innards. I take a tablet PPI for that reason.

craftyone Tue 13-Aug-19 19:52:28

I can eat all the triggers as long as I eat them by 1pm. I have my daily very dark chocolate in the morning and my strawberries and my coffee. My main meal at 12 and then just what I fancy but my last mouthful is by 3.30pm,

Many of us have low acid hence food does not digest quickly enough, I am AB+ with typical low stomach acid, I need to give my digestive system enough time to stop working and to have a rest before starting again at breakfast. I don`t get GERD when I lie down since I started following this pattern of eating but I always have my gaviscon with alginate by my bed, just in case because I can sense when it is about to happen, before that full blown pain. I carry alginate everywhere, in my pocket and in my bag. Water helps too if you catch the rising acid quickly, washes the acid down and then you have to change posture to more upright

Someone mentioned liquorice, it is DGL. Slippery elm is good if an ulcer has been formed because of the acid, it works like a bandage. Slippery elm powder is boiled in a little water and has a texture like wllpaper paste, very soothing for an ulcer or sore spot, not a gerd preventative like alginate. Alginate forms a raft of bubbles, which keeps acid where it should be. Mustn`t eat anything after alginate or you make a hole in that raft

ecci53 Sat 31-Aug-19 10:02:24

Now back on the PPIs after 2 weeks off them. Got horrendous rebound reflux which triggered a massive episode of Atrial flutter and severe chest pain. A&E thought was a heart attack. 6 days in hospital and an angiogram showed it wasn't but it has left me in atrial fibrillation and on loads of nasty drugs. Fed up with it all.

starbird Sat 31-Aug-19 10:25:50

How awful for you ecci53. I feel for you, it makes me feel lucky and grateful.
My dr got cross with me when I said I didn’t always take them because I am forgetful and sometimes only remember when I am about to eat - she told me that once on PPI’s it is for life and better to take it one minute before a meal than not at all.

Tim25N Fri 06-Sep-19 18:57:16

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Alexa Fri 06-Sep-19 20:04:24

I've found small meals/snacks keep stomach acid diluted and are less likely than a stomachful to flow backwards up my gullet.

I used to take Omeprazole every night but I seldom take Omeprazole now but instead I swallow a lot of Gaviscon liquid followed by a mouthful or two of water if I feel the acid. If I have not snacked for a couple of hours sometimes a snack of something not sugary is sufficient.