Gransnet forums

Health

Stress:

(11 Posts)
Bopeep14 Fri 26-Jul-19 11:34:41

Can anyone recommend any over the counter remedy for stress. Finding the school holidays really trying, five more weeks to go?

annep1 Tue 06-Aug-19 07:34:17

Kalms maybe.
Some meditation -just 10 minutes helps.

BradfordLass72 Tue 06-Aug-19 09:42:09

Magnesium chelate is good, as are B Vitamins and calming herbal teas.

I used to love having my noisy, active two (and friends) at home during the holidays, so sad when that doesn't happen for modern Mums.

vicky108 Tue 06-Aug-19 09:49:18

Rescue remedy or Emergency Essence both very helpful.

annep1 Tue 06-Aug-19 10:16:35

Bopeep can you explain why it is so stressful and maybe get some suggestions that might help?

Lessismore Tue 06-Aug-19 10:18:51

Are you caring for the children? Can they go in holiday clubs?

M0nica Tue 06-Aug-19 10:44:30

Aren't you coming at this from the wrong end? Why are you finding the holidays with the children so stressful and are there more practical and satisfying ways of dealing with the stress.

It may involve changing your interaction with the children, finding ways of occupying them that you haven't previously considered, organising with friends to share the load.

Medication, even OTC medication, should be a last resort and best prescribed by a doctor who may also be able to arrange counselling for any underlying issues involving your relationship with your children.

I feel there is more to your request than meets the eye.

EllanVannin Tue 06-Aug-19 10:53:38

Some stress is good as it keeps you motivated. When working, I worked better under a certain amount of stress than being relaxed.

BradfordLass72 Wed 07-Aug-19 04:32:41

If you have a bath, try soaking in warm water, to which you've added Epsom Salts. Before bed is good.

BradfordLass72 Wed 07-Aug-19 04:33:05

Sorry, forgot to add:

www.healthline.com/nutrition/epsom-salt-benefits-uses

Hetty58 Wed 07-Aug-19 05:42:15

Have you taken on too much? Do you need some days off from the kids or grandkids? If so, make your feelings known!

Outings don't have to be big events. Just a trip to a local park, perhaps with a picnic, is fine. Staying at home is OK too but can feel more stressful if you find yourself entertaining them.

They should be encouraged to be self-reliant anyway, and remember, being bored sometimes is actually good for children's creativity.