Gransnet forums

Health

Oestrogen HRT to help weak pelvic floor?

(9 Posts)
uknana Fri 02-Aug-19 15:26:45

Having had a hysterectomy for a cancerous endometriosis, I was advised not to take any oestrogen in HRT form.I have since been very well for 20 years, but now my pelvic floor is weakening and my GP has prescribed a low oestrogen pessary.
I am very unsure of this medication and wondered if anyone with my history has heard of this ?

lmm6 Fri 02-Aug-19 15:35:15

Yes I have. I am using it. Some time ago I lost blood and was tested for cancer. It wasn't cancer but the bleeding was, apparently, caused by lack of oestrogen. I am using the pessaries you describe. I have been told by an eminent doctor that the oestrogen is localised and therefore quite safe. Like you, I was wary of using it but so far I have had no ill effects from it at all. I hope this puts your mind at rest.

phoenix Fri 02-Aug-19 17:37:45

I might be being thick, but can't see how pessaries might help with a weak pelvic floor? confused

Gonegirl Fri 02-Aug-19 18:17:24

Plumps it all up down there I suppose. So your bits don't start coming out.

phoenix Fri 02-Aug-19 18:25:15

Gonegirl Perhaps a bit like Botox injections to help with stress incontinence?

Gonegirl Fri 02-Aug-19 19:40:56

I would think so. (Could do with some myself. Sigh. hmm)

Gonegirl Fri 02-Aug-19 19:41:36

Don't somehow fancy injections in that area though. grin

Hotmama Sat 03-Aug-19 10:40:38

My 82 year old sister has been given these pessaries after some unexplainable bleeding and tests all proved negative. So has an 89 year old friend who has experienced raging cystitis since having sex with her younger boyfriend. It has helped both these ladies considerably. As it is topical I think you need to trust your GP and enjoy the benefits.

uknana Sat 03-Aug-19 11:27:16

Many thanks. That helps a lot