Gransnet forums

Health

Hip Replacement

(32 Posts)
Jilly43 Fri 02-Aug-19 18:27:02

I had been experiencing increasing pain when walking long distance on and off for couple of years and now getting pain in the night...this year went to Dr , then Physio who referred me to a consultant..when he saw X Ray he said only one answer a total replacement due to severe osteoarthritis....he said it was now bone on bone ! I got an appointment for the op quite quickly...in September...I am also fortunate in that I
am having it done in a private very local hospital on NHS....it has all happened very quickly, I am having trouble coming to terms with it...I am 76 and concerned about the recovery...my DH is very good but after reading up lots about it and also that you are never quite as subtle afterwards...I am concerned whether I should go ahead with it....confused

Sararose Fri 02-Aug-19 18:35:33

I had my hip replaced 8 years ago and although it was a bit tough for the first week or so I am now able to do zumba ,
pilates and walk for miles. Definitely go ahead but do have as much physio as you can.

Charleygirl5 Fri 02-Aug-19 18:39:43

Definitely go ahead with it- a few months from now you will be wondering why you were considering having it done and I am certain you will be delighted.

dragonfly46 Fri 02-Aug-19 18:46:45

My daughter, aged 41, had a complete hip replacement in May. She went back to work after two weeks and went to Cancun after 6 weeks. You wouldn’t know now that she has had it.
Make sure you do the exercises though.

tanith Fri 02-Aug-19 18:46:50

Certainly go ahead, I’ve had both hips done and would thoroughly recommend it. To go from being in pain 24/7 to being pain free after the initial discomfort from the surgery, is heaven. Go for it.

Liz46 Fri 02-Aug-19 19:23:07

Our neighbour, who lives alone, is in his 80s and had a hip replacement. He managed well and went on holiday (long flight) within a couple of months. When he first came out of hospital my husband popped in to see him every day and I made him some food.

Bordersgirl57 Fri 02-Aug-19 19:32:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fennel Fri 02-Aug-19 19:47:23

Don't worry - it's a wonderful operation.
I had my right hip replaced in 2006 after a few years of pain.
The first few weeks might be difficult but it's worth it.
Post-op physio is very important imo. To rebuild the supporting muscles of the new joint.

LullyDully Fri 02-Aug-19 21:05:39

It is a magic operation after agony suddenly no pain, even the day after. Have it done if they are offering.

TerriT Fri 02-Aug-19 23:01:14

Had my right hip done in 2016. I had been in such pain and had read that after the op the pain goes. I thought no way will that be possible. Well dear readers it is true. The pain goes immediately. I still find it amazing that you can have a joint replaced and then no Pain! I was up and about in no time and for anyone worried about having this op I say do it as you will be so glad you did. I can now do all the things I hadn’t been able to with my painful hip. Amazing how the body can recover isn’t it.

travelsafar Sat 03-Aug-19 18:25:43

All these posts must be so reasuring for the OP. Good luck with your operation.

Lisagran Sat 03-Aug-19 18:41:41

You should definitely go ahead! I had a hip replaced (it was bone on bone) 3 years ago - no problems now at all. I too was lucky enough to have the op in a private hospital funded by the NHS. For about 4 or 5 weeks afterwards I found it hard to sleep (you are supposed to sleep on your back), but after that it was fine. I found the forums on Patient Info (https://patient.info/forums) and Bone Smart (https://bonesmart.org/forum/) very helpful. Someone on a forum recommended sleeping / sitting on a sheepskin for a few weeks - I did this / helped. Good luck!

Lisagran Sat 03-Aug-19 18:42:53

bonesmart.org/forum/

patient.info/forums

Jane10 Sat 03-Aug-19 20:08:42

I'm sure you'll be every bit as 'subtle' as you were before Jilly43!
Seriously by Christmas you'll be so glad you went ahead with it and probably long before that.

Jilly43 Sun 04-Aug-19 10:28:21

Thanks everyone for your very encouraging comments...I am going ahead with it ...x

tanith Sun 04-Aug-19 10:53:30

Good for you Jilly I’m sure you won’t regret it and if they offer it go for the spinal with sedation, I had that and I didn’t feel a thing and was out of it mostly.

LullyDully Sun 04-Aug-19 11:04:08

Full anaesthetic for me. Dr said I'd hear the bone being cut so decided to opt for oblivion. So glad you are going ahead, good decision.

Jane10 Sun 04-Aug-19 11:52:31

I had a spinal for both my TKRs. They give you a sedative called Midazolam. The Anaesthetist said it was liquid G&T. Worked perfectly. I drifted off into a lovely sleep and woke up refreshed and ready to recover.
That Dr was pushing an old wives tale. Forget it!

TerriT Sun 04-Aug-19 14:12:42

Spinal with sedation for me to. Woke up after lovely sleep and new hip in. It’s quite amazing I think. All the pain you endure with bad hip is gone!

yogagran Sun 04-Aug-19 14:57:42

I agree with everyone here - it's a brilliant bit of surgery and the relief to be free of pain afterwards is amazing.
As dragonfly says - it's really important to do all the exercises religiously as that's the only way that you will get full movement back again. It's no good thinking that the surgeon has done his/her job and that's the end of it, the main work starts immediately after surgery with exercises. I've got far more flexibility and range of movement now than I had before surgery

aggie Sun 04-Aug-19 15:18:15

I had mine done nearly two years ago , my only regret is that i hadn't had it done sooner

Babs758 Mon 05-Aug-19 15:37:50

I had mine fine a year ago with a spinal anaesthetic and an old fashioned posterior approach. . The first week of recovery was very painful and you need to make sure the hospital gives your meds in time. But now I am so glad I got it done. Painfree and getting back to enjoying life.

SueH49 Wed 28-Aug-19 07:08:41

I found out 3 weeks ago that I need a THR, sooner rather than later according to the Orthopedic Surgeon. I see him tomorrow and hopefully will sort out a date for this to be done.

I'm interested in the comments regarding spinal sedation and would like to hear more about it from those who had it for their operation. Do you actually hear the sawing/reaming and medico's comments etc. or are you sedated to the extent of oblivion? Presumably the spinal sedation is safer and quicker to recover from than a full GA.

After a lot of thought I figure there is no point in putting surgery off as it is still going to need replacing, may as well get it over and done with. I don't have a lot of pain now but the lack of mobility is extremely restrictive and I am only able to walk with a stick. Hopefully I can have this done quickly and get back to being able to walk properly.......or not because my knee it also a problem! All this while trying to sell our property and buy another. Timing is everything so they say!

AnnS1 Wed 28-Aug-19 07:25:26

Had hip replacement with spinal 3 weeks ago. Heard nothing, told the anaesthetist I just wanted to wake up when it was all over. Would say the first 2 weeks weren’t great. Had reaction to painkillers and difficulty sleeping. However every day there was a slight improvement. Best things were reacher/grabber things in every room. Little wrist straps attached to your sticks. Have to remember it is major surgery and it isn’t an instant recovery.

Jane10 Wed 28-Aug-19 11:32:52

Please don't worry about the spinal with sedation. You are absolutely out of it. You hear nothing and it's a surprise to wake up and find it's all over.