Gransnet forums

Health

Osteo or rheumatoid arthritis?

(28 Posts)
watermeadow Thu 15-Aug-19 20:47:30

My daughter has recently been diagnosed with RA and has had wonderful care, aimed at preventing damage to her joints.
This makes me wonder which form of arthritis I have. Mine started at the same age as daughter’s. I had a hip replaced at 53 and my feet are very damaged and painful.
I’ve always been told mine is “Just wear and tear” and I’ve had no treatment for my feet. I wonder whether to go to Dr yet
again and ask for referral to a rheumatologist or if it’s too late?

Barmeyoldbat Mon 03-Feb-20 09:50:04

You know a lot of what you describe could be me. I have PBC (an auto immune live disease) and few other auto immune conditions. I always thought I had RA because of the pain in my joints as you describe. I had a blood test which was positive but another which wasn't. I was told I didn't have RA but every time I go to the eye hospital the first question they ask is how is you RA, its not on my notes so why do they ask. Also `I attended a hospital in Malaysia once when my husband was an inpatient. I wanted to ask about terrible joint pains. I went in sat down put hands on the table and the first thing he said was how long have you had RA.
I just don't know what the answer is, so I live for the good times and get through the flare ups resting.

Sparklefizz Mon 03-Feb-20 11:39:42

Barmey I have OA and have joined an arthritis FB Group, and have learnt from other members that the blood test for RA is not reliable.