Gransnet forums

Health

Granddaughter stammering

(8 Posts)
SisterAct Mon 19-Aug-19 21:03:33

All of a sudden my 2 1/2 year old GD has started stammering, for about a week now, mainly with the word I and words starting with w. She has been a chatterbox and has a wide vocabulary So far we have let her finish her sentence and modelled back the sentence. Any advice please.

ginny Mon 19-Aug-19 21:21:32

My DGS did the same at the same age. The advice from a speech therapist was to do just as you are doing. Often children of this age have so much to say that their mouths can’t keep up with their brains.
DGS rarely stammers now.
If you are still concerned ask for her to be referred to a speech therapist.

BlueBelle Mon 19-Aug-19 21:36:49

I believe it s very common in small children especially intelligent ones it’s a stage I’d say her brain is working faster than her mouth I would ignore it and chances are it will settle down I wouldn’t draw her attention to it at all though

EllanVannin Mon 19-Aug-19 22:53:20

A passing phase that's all.

Tangerine Mon 19-Aug-19 22:56:19

My children went through a phase of stammering but it soon passed.

I recognise that there are many children who aren't so fortunate and have a continuing problem.

MissAdventure Mon 19-Aug-19 23:10:21

Yes, my daughter did too.
She just grew out of it.

GrannyLaine Mon 19-Aug-19 23:16:01

Nothing at all to worry about at two and a half, its just a phase referred to as 'bumpy speech' which I think is a lovely way of describing it.

MissAdventure Mon 19-Aug-19 23:18:59

bluebelle
My girl must have grown out of it when her mouth started working faster than her brain!
Age 12/13, I reckon.
grin