Gransnet forums

Health

HRT update

(73 Posts)
humptydumpty Fri 30-Aug-19 10:27:20

Out today:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49508671

Up to the individual of course, but it mneans you can make a more informed choice.

humptydumpty Fri 30-Aug-19 11:33:14

Just posting on here to keep it visible in last hour- please read if you're taking HRT...

EllanVannin Fri 30-Aug-19 11:43:09

I'd suffer first !!

dragonfly46 Fri 30-Aug-19 12:25:18

Could be right - I took HRT for 5 years from being 50 to 55 and diagnosed with breast cancer last year aged 72.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Aug-19 13:15:41

And me diagnosed with breast cancer after taking HRT as was my friend.

EllanVannin Fri 30-Aug-19 13:26:23

I lost two fit/healthy work colleagues who were in their 50's in the 1990's, both were on HRT. I suffered in silence instead.

KatyK Fri 30-Aug-19 14:18:37

I took it for a while in my 40s. My hair started to fall out.

Framilode Fri 30-Aug-19 15:13:56

Well I', going to stay on it if I can. I have been on it for more that 30 years and they say the longer you have been on it the longer the risk lasts after you come off it. I think the rest of my likely life span will therefore be risky. I'm prepared to take the risk.

blondenana Fri 30-Aug-19 17:04:30

Seems very strange to me,that they have decided to come out with this when it is difficult to get anyway
Do you think they are trying to put people off it because it's in short supply anyway
This has been mentioned on menopause matters too

Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Aug-19 17:06:56

nothing would surprise me in this weirdest of times blondnana

anxiousgran Fri 30-Aug-19 17:14:05

I got breast cancer without ever having HRT. Subsequently got endometrial cancer whilst taking tamoxifen which is meant to block the hormones.
I was desperate for HRT for terrible menopause symptoms, but always denied it because of BC.
Went to a female GP prepared to sign any disclaimer to try HRT. She prescribed gabapentine in the end for dreadful hot sweats. It has kept it under control, but still need it..
It depends on the individual and/or how desperate you are whether you take it or not.

trisher Fri 30-Aug-19 17:24:32

blondenana the report is based on the results of many studies and started in 1992. I think seeing connections with shortages is just far-fetched.

BlueBelle Fri 30-Aug-19 17:46:00

I ve always refused it each to their own but I prefer to take nothing unless really really really necessary
The mesopause is a natural process and needs natural ways to cope

Hotmama Fri 30-Aug-19 17:58:06

I have no quality of life without it. I don’t drink and I’m not overweight which are risk factors for BC. I will take my chances.

CanadianGran Fri 30-Aug-19 18:45:27

I was very early menopause at 42, and have had hot flashes since 38; I'm 57 now. Even though they were quite horrible for a few years, I never felt I wanted to take hormone therapy., I though I would let nature take its course.

I am also aware that an early menopause before 45 increases the risk of osteoporosis and heart disease. I really try to keep my diet healthy with extra calcium, take vitamin D supplements and keep my cholesterol level healthy and also do weight bearing exercise to alleviate risks.

As long as women are aware of all the risks and have good communication with their doctors, I believe the choice should be theirs to alleviate symptoms.

paddyann Fri 30-Aug-19 19:57:55

I'm staying on it,without it I'd be divorced or dead.I have my mammograms and womb scans regulary so in the event that I do get cancer at least we'll find it fast .My body ,my choice.

TerriBull Fri 30-Aug-19 20:59:24

Took it briefly, had problems, came off it. I still get very hot at times, that's been going on for quite a while now, I don't have as much energy as I would like, never sure whether that's the menopause or my underactive thyroid, Thyroxine has never been a silver bullet for me, anyway that's another thread. I think women on HRT have to weigh up the pros and cons and make their individual choices, based on how bad their symptoms are. I don't doubt the Menopause can be extremely debilitating and I would never want to minimise anyone else's experience, I can cope without it, but understand those who don't want to relinquish something that has made life bearable.

EllanVannin Fri 30-Aug-19 21:10:24

I can see a lot of claims coming forthwith for misleading information.
Though, saying that, it's a woman's choice whether she takes it or not and nobody holds a gun to your head if you decide one way or the other.

Tangerine Fri 30-Aug-19 21:13:14

I had it after a hysterectomy but I did ask about the risk of breast cancer. At the time I was told that, if I didn't take HRT, I'd be more at risk of a heart attack or a stroke.

I think, these days, they say you aren't at risk of a heart attack or a stroke if you don't have the HRT.

Anyway, I took it for two years but have now stopped. I hope I'll be all right but can't alter the fact that I took HRT for two years.

There are always pros and cons with these things.

redamanthas Fri 30-Aug-19 22:19:04

I take oestrogen only HRT. Started after total hysterectomy when I was 49. Tried to come off at 65 and symptoms were awful for me. Decided to stay on it now at 71 I'm trying again. This time dropping one tablet every six months. If it works fine but if not I'll stay on it. The risk of breast cancer from HRT has gone up from 1 to 2 in 100. I'll take the risk if symptoms return. It's all about quality of life in my opinion.

Floradora9 Fri 30-Aug-19 22:24:17

I got breast cancer in my early 60s there was not a single case of it in my family but I took HRT for some years. As the report states it can happen some years after stopping it as mine did .

blondenana Fri 30-Aug-19 23:42:43

trisher i know it is based on studies that have been going on for a long time, but the most recnt before this one said it wasn't as bad as first tought, and NICE guidelines gave Drs the go ahead to give it to women who wanted it
It just seems a coincidence now that isn't enough HRT to go round that women are being put off again
I am just at the end of mine for this month, and i am stopping, at least for a few months asc i have lost a lot of hair and only since being on HRT this time, as been on it before and it was fine,so just going to see how i am without it

blondenana Fri 30-Aug-19 23:45:09

Tangerine this latest report says you are at more of a risk of blood clot or stroke on it, but less of a risk of heart attack on it

blondenana Sat 31-Aug-19 09:30:22

trisher i know this report was based on many studies, but the latest before this one said it was found to be much safer after all,and NICE gave its blessing for Drs to prescribe it if women wanted it
It might just be a coincidence of course, but to come at a time when there is a shortage and even some Drs are up in arms about it saying it could put some women off taking it when they really need it

Hm999 Sat 31-Aug-19 09:47:22

I endured menopause in my late 40s because I couldn't bear the thought of deferring those symproms to my 70s.