Gransnet forums

Health

Naproxene

(9 Posts)
tanith Sun 01-Sep-19 12:17:14

You should be carefully monitored if on it long term my GP does full bloods regularly and if any damage showed up it would be stopped.

MawB Sun 01-Sep-19 11:51:31

My understanding is that you are not meant to take Naproxen for ever and ever, as even with Omeprazole there can be serious internal damage to the stomach/gastric tract which can cause an ulcer or internal bleeding
I was prescribed it years ago but only used it for max a week or two at a time whenever I have an arthritis flare up.
Ibuprofen and other NSAIDs are ruled out altogether.
Naproxen is very good and effective. Just be careful.

tanith Sun 01-Sep-19 11:43:14

Twice a day.

tanith Sun 01-Sep-19 11:42:41

I was on Naproxene and Omeprazole for over 12 yrs for multiple/joint O/A it was what kept me going I found it really good but now both my hips have been replaced I’ve recently decided to wean myself off it slowly and see how I am now without it. It’s been a month now and so far so good, I’m stiffer but so far any pain is minimal. I’ll be seeing GP to tell her what I’ve done and get it taken off my repeat prescription. I was on 500g twice a

ginny Sun 01-Sep-19 09:00:52

I can’t take it. Causes me to have terrible stomach pains.

Esspee Sun 01-Sep-19 08:36:31

I used it recently for plantar fasciitis and it has done the job. The pain first thing on rising has gone.

Iam64 Sun 01-Sep-19 08:25:35

It’s a good anti inflammatory. I can no longer take them, wish I could.

kircubbin2000 Sun 01-Sep-19 08:24:21

What dose? I took 250 and it didn't do much.

travelsafar Sun 01-Sep-19 07:58:56

I have just been prescribed the above this week and so far it seems to be taking the edge off the horrible pain that i have everyday. Anyone else taking this medication with positive results?. Omeprazole also being taken to protect stomach.