Gransnet forums

Health

Alendronic Acid

(34 Posts)
Calendargirl Thu 05-Sep-19 15:40:52

Apologies if this has been raised before.
I’ve been taking this for the last 6 years with no ill effects, I have osteoporosis. A friend phoned me today, newly diagnosed with OP, and wanted my opinion as to whether she should take AA as she had been advised by nurse to do research and then make an informed decision.
I was just prescribed it and followed all the guidelines as to how and when etc.
Just wondered what other GN’ers opinion is on it.
I told my friend I had had no issues and to see how she got on with it.

Anja Thu 12-Sep-19 07:52:17

jeanie99 consider supplementing with Vit K2 too. This has the effect to redirecting calcium to the bones rather than retaining it in other parts of the body eg arteries. Calcification of arteries is not good.

Marydoll Thu 12-Sep-19 08:08:16

Sound advice Anja.

Anja Thu 12-Sep-19 09:11:49

Thank you Marydoll

luluaugust Thu 12-Sep-19 09:19:18

The side effects seem to vary wildly person to person so although I do understand a reluctance to take AA I should imagine it would be worth having a try. As far as I can work out there are very few drugs to help this invisible condition and how far can you go with bones that can break by themselves.

jeanie99 Sat 14-Sep-19 10:17:37

Anja

Thank you so much for your advice I'll check this out.

The side effect I had with taking AA have all gone now, life is good.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 14-Sep-19 10:35:35

I took it for just over two years but had started to get side effects., mostly pain in my hip and legs. Now I have an injection every 6 months, much easier. Also the pain has gone.

vena11 Sat 14-Sep-19 10:56:27

I had terrible pain in my hands and feet with AA and they put me on a monthly pill and there was an improvement in the pain, I have osteopenia before I had breast cancer and then after the treatment my scan showed and decline in my bones so that is why they gave it to me because of the chemo affects, another scan in 2 years so hopefully an improvement .

Franbern Mon 09-Dec-19 13:22:08

I have just returned from seeing my new GP following my move. I had written asking for a DEXA scan, and this was refused and she asked to see me. I explained that I was not prone to broken bones and do feel that the spinal stress fracture earlier this year could have just been unfortunate, However, she told me that for a any 78 year woman who has had a spinal stress fracture, the assumption must be osteoporosis and no need for a scan, but I need to re-start taking AA. Interestingly, she did tell me that on the weekly days I take that I am NOT to also take Ad-Cal.
So, will start taking them, and hope there will be no nasty side effects.