Gransnet forums

Health

Flu jabs

(177 Posts)
Teetime Thu 12-Sep-19 16:26:01

All done today at Lloyds Pharmacy - no queue, no appointment necessary and no waiting - excellent service- used to wait forever at the surgery.

MawB Thu 10-Oct-19 21:24:40

I hope I am forgiven a (lengthy) cut n paste jobbie but I think the sentiments are worth sharing. It is by a nurse in the US but I don’t think her experience is any less relevant because she is in the UK.

Last night I shared a post on Facebook that said 'Hey A**hole, the flu shot isn't about you." Sitting here soaking up every ounce of caffeine before night shift, I figured I should elaborate.

The flu shot is for Influenza, a severe respiratory illness that can lead to death. Have you ever had it? I have, and it's awful. You spike fevers, every bone and muscle in your body aches, and no matter how hard you try, you just can't seem to catch your breath.

You get the flu shot not always for you, but for those around you.

For the grandparents, whose bodies are not what they used to be, and they just can't kick an illness in the butt like when they were young.

For the 30 year old, with HIV or AIDS, who has a weakened immune system.

For the 25 year old mother of 3 who has cancer. She has absolutely zero immune system because of chemotherapy.

For the newborn baby who was just welcomed into the world, and isn't quite strong enough to fight off infections on his own

For the nurses and doctors that take care of you. If they get sick, they can't go to work and take care of the countless patients that need them.

For the 50 year old husband who needs a medication for his chronic illness, and that medication also weakens his immune system.

For the pregnant mum that has been trying to get pregnant for years, and now she's trying to stay healthy for her unborn baby.

For the single dad who can't take any more sick days and needs to provide for his kids.

For the 7 year old boy that just wants to play with his friends. But he has a disease that puts him at a higher risk for infection, so he has to stay inside.

The flu shot is NOT always about you. It's about protecting those around you, who cannot always protect themselves.

I have been in the room as a patient has passed away, because of influenza. I have watched patients struggle to breathe, because of influenza. I have busted my butt to provide Tylenol, warm blankets, nebulizers, etc. to keep that patient comfortable and fighting a terrible respiratory infection

Herd immunity is a thing. Influenza killing people is a thing. You getting the flu shot, should be a thing.

Nurse Bitz

(via Amanda Catherine Bitz)

SueDonim Wed 09-Oct-19 00:46:04

I had my first ever free (I paid for one in Boots last year) flu jab on Saturday. I was also given the pneumonia jab. The 'flu' arm was slightly sore and red for a couple of days while the 'pneumo' arm has been a bit more painful and I couldn't raise my arm but it's now improving. Neither reaction was any worse than those vax I've had for living abroad.

I'm grateful to now have protection against both illnesses. smile

MawB Wed 09-Oct-19 00:36:11

I feel people are having too many vaccinations and we don't really know if there is a cumulative effect leading to long term consequences.
I think vaccinations should be reserved for diseases that carry a high risk of fatality of profound disability or which cannot be effectively treated, such as was the case with polio and smallpox. I realise my views will create a flurry of outrage but I feel people should consider the implications of the state having the right to, in effect, force people to have vaccinations - or get their children vaccinated - or lose access to certain public services - as is now more frequently being suggested
I am amazed and even saddened to read this “anti-vaxx “ attitude from an intelligent woman. All the more so in the light of the recent publicity for measles outbreaks in Essex and elsewhere- a retrograde step for a country which had achieved measles free status.
I cannot see how you have arrived at your conclusion, you are clearly aware of what you refer to as the potentially fatal diseases but fail to include what in less enlightened days included the old “childhood diseases” - and of course they were potential killers too.
The benefits to the whole community or eradicating disease - the “common good “ surely cannot have escaped you.

sazz1 Wed 09-Oct-19 00:15:23

Had mine lunchtime today at the chemist - straight in no appointment needed. Asked me questions about any allergy, health conditions etc. Didn't bother last year but usually have it every year. Chemist said I shouldn't miss a year as I have COPD and will almost definately be hospitalised if I catch flu. Got a sore arm felt a bit hot and floaty earlier but all good now. Been having it for years and only reacted with a bad cold and temperature the first time, probably not connected anyway.

Pudding123 Thu 03-Oct-19 15:29:51

I had my flu injection this week at the local chemist,no problems apart from a slightly sore arm w hen turning over in bed for 2 night's which is imo a.small price to pay as I have had flu twice and thought I was dying both times, it was hell.

MiniMoon Thu 03-Oct-19 14:40:58

I had mine yesterday. I have a sore arm and backache! I'm taking it easy this afternoon. The nurse said I might be sniffly, but that hasn't happened, yet.

annodomini Thu 03-Oct-19 13:15:14

I had flu several times in my teens, by far the worst was the Asian Flu of 1957-58 when I was very sick and very weak, and only 17. Two children in my school died and several more were hospitalised. In the 1980s I and my family all managed to get it at the same time and what a joy that was: trying to look after H and the DSs, while 'sleeping' on the put-u-up in the sitting room. If only vaccination had been available then. Since vaccination became available, none of the subsequent epidemics (such as swine flu) has hit me and for that I am most grateful. Saturday week, I'll be there in the queue.

maddyone Thu 03-Oct-19 13:06:59

I’m waiting till November as I was advised by my son in law (he’s a GP) that the vaccine is most effective for the first three months. If I wait till November I’ll be at optimum protection for December, January, and February, probably the most likely months for flu to be doing the rounds.

Eloethan Thu 03-Oct-19 13:00:57

A bad bout of flu is horrible but I choose not to have the vaccination and just hope I am fortunate for another year.

I feel people are having too many vaccinations and we don't really know if there is a cumulative effect leading to long term consequences.

I realise that people live longer now and this tends to be put down solely to medical advancements, but other external issues may also play a part. It is also the case that, whilst people live longer, they do not live healthier lives, and often suffer from chronic complaints for many years. I believe, for instance, that figures indicate joint replacement procedures to be occurring more frequently on younger people.

I think vaccinations should be reserved for diseases that carry a high risk of fatality of profound disability or which cannot be effectively treated, such as was the case with polio and smallpox. I realise my views will create a flurry of outrage but I feel people should consider the implications of the state having the right to, in effect, force people to have vaccinations - or get their children vaccinated - or lose access to certain public services - as is now more frequently being suggested.

geekesse Thu 03-Oct-19 12:57:41

I had flu badly once, 25+ years ago. I lost three days of my life - and for weeks I was seriously incapacitated. I pay for a flu shot every year because I work in a boarding school, and will carry on when I retire.

Why do people have this thing about immunisations? They keep people alive and stop them feeling really, really bad.

Franbern Thu 03-Oct-19 12:15:04

Was asked to come to surgery to see GP following my recent operation in hospital. Got there about 20 minutes early and asked if I could have flu jab - this was done by the Nurse five minutes later. That was yesterday, no reaction or sore arm at present. Just relieved that I have this protection again. I live by myself and just cannot imagine trying to cope if I actually had 'flu. Just think how fortunate we are to get such good health care and protection without having to worry about paying for it.
Have had these jabs annually - started before I was 65 as I worked at a hospital, then for the past 13 years for being over 65. Also had my shingles jab and pnuemonia one (both only ever required once).
I really despair at people who play down the importance for all of vaccinations.

dragonfly46 Sun 29-Sep-19 11:36:00

We always have ours.
To those who think flu is just a couple of days in bed the NHS take it very seriously.
Three years ago my DH had what was diagnosed with flu. On doctor's advice I called an ambulance but the driver refused to take him into hospital as he had flu! The doctor told him he had to take him which he did and when we arrived we were whisked off to a separate part of A and E and all the doctors and nurses were masked.
As it turned out they discovered two days later he had Legionnaires but flu is no minor illness.

BlueBelle Sun 29-Sep-19 11:23:10

Called in my local Superdrug yesterday only person there in and out in five minutes Dr s is a bus ride away and only do it on a certain day and queues round the block so did it while shopping As usual no side effects no soreness
I was anti until my friend nearly died and was in hospital for weeks and weeks intensive care I decided to give it a try and haven’t had any signs of any type of flu and not even any colds ( I know it’s not the same) since (about five years)

ayse Sun 29-Sep-19 10:42:00

Had mine yesterday and woke this morning feeling very achy and wiped out. As a result I’m resting in bed just now. This is the first time I’ve felt like this but I suspect it’s better than having the flu

GrannyGravy13 Fri 27-Sep-19 15:58:38

Had mine today at our local Boots Pharmacy, made the appointment yesterday, quick and efficient.

(Would use our GP surgery but the flu inoculation clinics are on days I am away)

Urmstongran Fri 27-Sep-19 15:57:38

Honestly I couldn’t do that again if I tried haha! It makes me giggle to read back over it!
???

‘Four candles’ came to mind.

jura2 Fri 27-Sep-19 15:54:15

our ex local surgery did a full day Saturday with all staff hands on and got all vaccinated who needed or wanted to in one go. Great atmosphere and fab job done. Bravo.

lemongrove Fri 27-Sep-19 15:48:24

Hilarious Urmston ???
It could be in the Outer Hebrides.

Jane10 Fri 27-Sep-19 15:33:19

grin!

Urmstongran Fri 27-Sep-19 14:28:23

‘four do forks’? Bluddy hell!
I meant ‘rang our doctor’s surgery’. Goodness knows what happened there!

Urmstongran Fri 27-Sep-19 14:26:53

Got my first over 65y ‘flu notification by post (from a central office in Bath) yesterday. I ran four do forks surgery just now and we both have an appointment next week. Sorted.

annsixty Fri 27-Sep-19 14:19:32

Had mine this morning at GP surgery while I was there for a meds review.
No sore arm, no reaction so far.
I have had one for 20 years now and never a problem.

silverlining48 Fri 27-Sep-19 14:15:02

Notsoold, so very sorry about your daughter. Terrifyingly quick, what an awful shock for you and your family. My condolences.

Jane10 Fri 27-Sep-19 13:18:38

I had the jab on Wednesday. No reaction. No sore arm. All fine. Thanks Boots!

justrolljanet Fri 27-Sep-19 12:46:09

I missed my flu jab 2 years ago, caught flu from my husband and ended up with pneumonia, it took me 9 months to recover, had my flu jab yesterday so did my husband, slightly sore arm now, rather have that than flu to be honest.