Gransnet forums

Health

Depression.

(10 Posts)
Bopeep14 Sat 14-Sep-19 11:08:05

My husband thinks I may be depressed, I haven’t feet like myself at all this last month, I cry if anyone says something nice to me, I get frustrated really easily, and I have a general loathing for myself at the moment, but can depression come on that quick.

I am going through a health problem at the moment but it’s been going on for a few months now, with scans and tests.
I have a decision to make about an operation and it is making me anxious.

Any advice from you lovely people?

Bridgeit Sat 14-Sep-19 11:14:25

Sorry to read about your situation at the moment ,the end result of depression appears to be sudden, but in fact it is an accumulation of situations that build up gradually over time, it isn’t until the ‘final straw’ that it dawns on us that we have a condition & it helps us to realise we need a little help.
Seek professional advice to help you steer your thoughts to make the best medical choice for you. Best Wishes

glammanana Sat 14-Sep-19 12:16:38

It maybe the anxiousness you are feeling with regard to the health problems and tests you are undergoing rather than depression,I know what it feels like to be waiting or making a decision abour surgery can you put it out of your mind and be kind to yourself (easier said than done) or possibly have a short break away with your OH it may just relieve the pressure you are experiencing at the moment.Best of luck whatever you decide flowers

Luckygirl Sat 14-Sep-19 12:29:17

Maybe you need a trip to the GP just to check out whether you have clinical depression that might respond to treatment, or whether it is the general anxiety about the surgery that is getting you down. The idea of self-loathing is very much part of the picture of depression and I am sure that it would be wise to talk this over with your GP.

I hope you get some help; and that you are able to make a decision about the surgery - uncertainty is very uncomfortable.

KatyK Sat 14-Sep-19 14:48:30

I think Bridgeit describes it very well. A final straw.

Bopeep14 Tue 17-Sep-19 14:02:45

Thank you for your replies, i have managed to get an appointment to see my GP so will see what they say.

GabriellaG54 Tue 17-Sep-19 18:03:37

Bopeep14

Perhaps your low mood may be to do with your inability to decide on having the op...or not.
A talk with your GP or consultant should provide clear indications as to the pros and cons and from there, the decision is yours.
They can only give you the facts.
I hope you can rely on your own judgement as it is your health that matters, not what anyone else would do.
I wish you luck in arriving at a decision you feel meets your needs and then, hopefully, your low mood will lift and you can move forward.
flowers?

Jane10 Tue 17-Sep-19 18:17:23

Are you eating OK and sleeping well?

love0c Tue 17-Sep-19 20:23:22

I think your medical condition has taken its toll on you. You say it has been going on for a few months now. That is quite a long time really. A long time for you to be thinking about it and worrying. As for making the decision on an operation go and chat it over again? with your GP and family if family are around. Once you make that decision I think that will give you some relief. Making hard decisions bear heavy on you. Good luck and I do hope you soon feel better than you do now and able to cope with what lies ahead.

BrentFoust Wed 18-Sep-19 11:04:03

Probably you are extremely sensitive to things going around. I guess your health problem is making you feel depressed, making you frustrated even at trifles. I’d suggest you to practice meditation.