Gransnet forums

Health

Ovarian cyst

(14 Posts)
Elliepops Sun 29-Sep-19 12:12:04

Has anybody on here had one. How often, or how many times did you have an ultrasound to check that it hadn't turned malignant please.

paddyann Sun 29-Sep-19 12:32:44

I have mine checked yearly by my gynaecologist ,I have internal and external scans .I've had them for a few years now and it was thought they could be the reason I was still bleeding at 60! Apparently not ,but I also have a cyst on the neck of my womb so they check both to be safe.I was offered a hysterectomy because of the bleeds but decided to go down the HRT route and it has stopped the bleeding ...although it took a fairly long time.My doctor tells me MOST cysts are not sinister but its best to keep a close eye on them.I dont worry about mine at all ,but I wouldn't miss an appointment .Good luck with yours .

Fantoosh Sun 29-Sep-19 12:39:29

I don't think an ultrasound would show malignancy, just the presence of the cyst, although I may be wrong. I had a large cyst removed 35 years ago, and currently have another, smaller (11cm, 8cm and 8cm) one which is being watched. I had a CA125 blood test, as I think that is a marker for ovarian cancer, and a CT scan and will have another ultrasound in spring to see how much it has grown. If you are worried, perhaps you could ask your GP about the blood test?

paddyann Sun 29-Sep-19 12:46:51

the scan shows any suspicious growth Fantoosh if it grows more than a specific amount over the year they do further tests

Fantoosh Sun 29-Sep-19 13:29:50

Thank you, paddyann, that's helpful. Do you happen to know what amount of growth would warrant further tests? Mine was 8cm in 2015, 11cm now, so I'd be interested.

Elliepops Sun 29-Sep-19 15:48:33

Mine was 7 centimetres. I have had hysterectomy but one ovary left. Course it would be that one that has the cyst.
For a couple of years I had ultrasound,then gp didn't think it necessary any more.
I could have a blood test but they are only a marker,not a decider.
My tummy is bloated so I just wondered. Thanks for replying.very kind.

Ngaio1 Tue 01-Oct-19 17:08:09

I had one removed four years ago. Nothing suspicious found I think it was about 2".

paddyann Tue 01-Oct-19 19:38:14

if you think you have symptoms get it checked,the doctors would rather you went before it got serious.Good luck with it

Harris27 Tue 01-Oct-19 20:09:15

I had one twelve years ago and constant heavy bleeding. I had a hysterectomy to have it removed and it had grew in the time waiting for my op. They also found I had endimitriosis so the cyst was just the tip of it for me. It was not malignant they tested it after the op I felt very lucky.

NotTooOld Tue 01-Oct-19 20:32:13

One day I woke up with an excruciating pain which turned out to be an ovarian cyst. I was whisked into hospital as an energency the same day and had a hysterectomy. I had no earlier signs or symptoms and luckily, at 45, my family was complete. The op was successful and the biopsy showed the cyst was benign. I was on HRT for ten years but then I gave it up. I agree with paddyann, if you think you have the symptoms go and see your GP.

Harris27 Tue 01-Oct-19 22:25:49

Nottooold very similar situation to me.

Purpledaffodil Tue 01-Oct-19 23:02:56

I had a massive one (4 pints of fluid I was told?) at the age of 52. I had a total hysterectomy with both ovaries removed and 5 years of HRT afterwards. No follow up apart from post op as tests showed it was benign. The only symptoms were a large tum which I put down to overeating! And a niggling pain which gradually got worse over days.

StMary Fri 04-Oct-19 10:36:45

My left ovary had cysts come and go and then went and hasn't grown back for years ..i have no womb or cervix , and the dr tells me the ovarian cysts are usually harmless ..But some women have them removed due to problems ..

NonnaJazz Fri 04-Oct-19 16:04:25

I had one removed when I was fifty. Told it was benign but had within it some hair and teeth and bone cells. It had become quite large and painful. Glad to see that go!